Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I see you're missing the brass caps on your Fisher knobs. Fortunately, someone made a batch a few years ago, and they may still be available. I recommend super-glue for what you still have, they are probably waiting to come off.

bluemooze and okc_craft like this.
  2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I've managed to achieve a pretty decent compromise with the position they are in now but there is a lot of fiddling left to do. These speakers are pretty forgiving of position which has allowed me to position them where they currently are - I have a little toe in which might not be obvious due to my seating position. I'll let you know how I get on with my investigations.

Rick58, jonwoody and timind like this.
  3. zima.blue

zima.blue Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rauna Vale
    Marantz HD-AMP1
    Marantz HD-CD1
    Project RPM 5.1 Carbon
    Project Phono Box

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    JUCO, 16hz lover, Kyhl and 55 others like this.
  4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

How do your speakers work with the Pathos amp? I have the Pathos Classic MkIII in our living room system, and I have been contemplating Q Acoustics speakers for them.

5. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

Aren't the HD-cd1 and HD-amp1 by Marantz? They sure look like it.

layman, trd and james like this.
  6. zima.blue

zima.blue Forum Resident

Sorry, a brain fart by me. :rolleyes:
    They sure are by Marantz, edited!

7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Trying to simplify the system a bit and trying out some Dynaudio LYD 48 in place of the KEF LS50W/Elac SUB3010 combo. So far so good.
    [​IMG]

Dred, JUCO, barfko and 61 others like this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Very nice.
    Can you tell us what the unit is please.

9. zima.blue

zima.blue Forum Resident

Thank you! The unit is an RGE Hugo, I think it’s a sold mainly in Scandinavia.

Echo and vudicus like this.
  10. New Guy

New Guy Forum Resident

Your room looks Great! How do you like you chair? I’m looking for a new one for my room.

11. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Thanks! I love the chair (even though it's a knock-off). I had an Ekornes Stressless before that that was almost too comfortable - I'd often fall asleep!

12. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Looks great - please could you give a brief idea of the sound of the Dynaudio’s - been very curious about these for some time, and some looking around on the net I’ve seen suggestions they are as good as active ‘home hifi’ dynaudio’s twice the price...

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Chair? I know New Guy might want to know, I'm not familiar with Ekornes but know they're pricey! a knock off, recommended, would be nice! I need a new chair for my new space ...

14. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It's been less than a week so it's VERY early but initial impressions are quite good. I've got them where I think they'll sound best and plan on doing some measurements with the various adjustments that can be made such as wall position, bass extension and their Sound Balance tilt filter. I'm sure there will be further improvements that can be made in the low end with PEQ via REW/Roon as well.

So, right out of the box impressions - clean and clear mids & highs. The upper mids seem a tad more forward than the KEFs in the Neutral setting. Bass seems capable of going a little lower than the LS50W without as much work but again I have yet to dial it in. Imaging and soundstaging have been the biggest surprises - being a horizontally-oriented speaker I was concerned because the LS50W were great in these regards. They throw up a large soundstage with everything "in it's place" in the mix and seemingly more depth to the stage than the LS50W. I noticed the latter the other day playing a couple of mono records that sounded less congested than they did on the KEFs.

Silverwolf likes this.
  15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The knock-off was about the same as an Ekornes which was still half the price of a real Herman Miller. It was made by a company called Rove Concepts but they no longer make it. When researching knock-offs I discovered this whole new world of Eames Lounge & Ottoman copies where manufacturers would anonymously promote their own and attack others as to who made the best quality one. It was all a bit strange to be honest and while there were cheaper versions (I had one briefly) I can say that I've been very pleased with the one I have. The leather is of high quality as is the fit & finish of everything else on the chair.

jonwoody and Rick58 like this.
  16. New Guy

New Guy Forum Resident

I like the blue painter tape on the floor. Someone else as OCD as me. At one point I had a six inch grid taped on my floor from front to back...

wgb113 likes this.
  17. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Your room have evolved and I liked every bit of change implemented every time. I've saved images of your room for reference when I'm ready to transition my room for pure audio listening only. My front wall and ceiling is already black for the theater, so no need to convince the wife to get it painted black. Thank you for sharing the new set up!

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words and good luck as you get your room up and running. Be sure to share pics of the progress!

Djohm likes this.
  19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I wanted to be sure I got it as symmetrical as possible! Wish I had a big room like you!

20. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Absolutly bandsome looking rig you got there! Well done!

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

What are the speaker stands? They look like they were salvaged from small dining tables.

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Ha! Now that you mention it they do.

They’re also from the pro realm - K&M Design monitor stands (26791) with 26792-032 top plates.

I wanted stands that met the following criteria:
    1. Base that was larger than the speaker’s footprint for stability.
    2. A heavy baseplate to minimize tipping further.
    3. A top plate that was as close to the speaker’s footprint as possible.
    4. Height-adjustable in case I switch to a desk-based setup with all of this WFH.
    They tick all of the boxes. As you can see, room is small and I’ve got to scoot around the ottoman to get to the turntable. Haven’t bumped a speaker in all these years (knock wood) but better safe than sorry.

jonwoody, action pact and timind like this.
  23. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

That is a very clean, neat setup! I think those are Aerial 6 loudspeakers, which have such a beautiful mid and high range, Michael knows how to build speakers. Your turntable is exactly like mine and I am noticing what appears to be a slight back end UP angle on your tonearm, in other words the tonearm is not parallel with the record. You may have it set that way for a reason, I don't know. I actually went to Home Depot today to get a small line level site, they come (2) per package, the perfect levels to sit on your tonearm to determine VTA being absolutely parallel to the record surface. This is an Empire level, and it's made where it sits perfectly on the tonearm, it actually wraps partially around the arm on the top, pretty cool level, it's item #83038.

I just thought I would mention this, as I just went and bought these two levels (two per pack) for $3.28. I checked mine this evening and it is set just as yours looks, back end up slightly, which is probably not the best tracking angle, so I will be resetting mine up tomorrow. Your system looks great! :agree:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  25. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Very cozy setting. Are either of the two orange chairs positioned in the sweet spot?