Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

I'll be posting later, am overdue in fact on some preamp and power amp ideas for this system but here it is:
    [​IMG]

Dred, JUCO, Wentworth21 and 38 others like this.
  2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Yes the stair and cable machines are at the other end of the room. Part of my routine to combat the boredom of cardio is to critically listen to soundstage width. This morning's cd was the Ramones which had a very narrow soundstage.

timind, JeffMo, aunitedlemon and 4 others like this.
  3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I can see it now and great setup as always Charles! And those speakers look amazing! One question though what's the big grate on your wall? Is that for acoustics or ventilation?

Charles Hidalgo likes this.
  4. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Most excellent!!

5. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

Thanks Woody. Those are 2'x4' diffusion panels.

jonwoody likes this.
  6. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Love me some Townes. Great live album, very well recorded.

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The exercise comes from lifting those monoblock's...

8. SandAndGlass

Amazing the sound you can achieve by cobbling together some old scrap metal and some plywood. :shtiphat:

I like this shot. One dedicated room, a huge pile of audio gear and the single chair says it all...

(Note: you can see another chair in the last photo, but the one chair just screams audiophile room.)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Tim 2 likes this.
  9. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds

what type of subs do you have for this?

10. motorstereo

Not quite but thanks to staying active over the years I was able to carry out a pair of 129lb amps and replace them with those 147lbs unwieldy beasts alone 3 years ago at age 62. Thankfully last year when I did an led bulb upgrade I didn't have to move either amp very far.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    SandAndGlass and Charles Hidalgo like this.
  11. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

When I do use subs or I think it’s needed I have a pair of Klipsch Reference 12” subs controlled remotely. It makes it nice to add or subtract them on the fly from the chair if desired.

OC Zed and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

I have a 250-Watt SS amp that weighs 72-lbs. and had a single ended 22-Watt tube amp which weighs 78-lbs. My Rogue M-150 monoblock's weigh 55-lbs. each.

I certainly would not attempt to carry a 129lb amp, let alone a 147lb amp (I am 66 now). Even then, carrying is one thing. Getting them to slide into a shelf is still another.

Though my monoblock's are on tables, like yours, but behind the TV.

jonwoody, Charles Hidalgo and trd like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

I firmly believe that you need adjustability in the volume of s subwoofer. Different albums will require different amount of bass augmentation. Different sources might also.

I use a separate processor for HT. This way, I can select the stereo components as I wish and consider the front channels of the processor as just another stereo source.

A huge advantage in doing this, is the ability to take the preamp output and run it to an unused input on the processor. This allows me to use both the bass management and the processor's volume remote to control the volume of the sub, while in stereo.

14. motorstereo

I agree it sure does help a lot having them up off the floor. When I brought the 1201's home from the dealer they were on the floor and they very kindly loaded them in the back of my suv; from there though it was my problem lol. Last Wednesday I was at Audio Classics dropping some repairs one of them being my 84lb mc2255 and Ryan wanted to get the cart to wheel it in. Rather than do that I asked him to hold the door for me while I carried it in to the service area. No problem doing that but I can attest carrying that thing across the yard and up a couple flights of stairs gets the ticker pumping.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Updated, new TT and storage cabinet.

[​IMG]

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Some phone quickies of the system with new Muzishare X7 where the Torii Jr use to be. I had no idea what my Omegas were capable of before hooking them to the Muzishare.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A_Lad_Insane, JUCO, asilker and 64 others like this.
  18. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

if you don’t want others looking at your profile, can you at least put your gear list in your signature so we know what gear is in your rig? From pics all I see is a What looks like a Technics TT and a pair of speakers and a sub.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I think it works now.

jonwoody, Slippers-on and timind like this.
  20. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Ok for you obsessives out there (including me) I have finally routed the tv cables behind the wall

21. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

22. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Thanks!

Ingenieur likes this.
  23. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Resident

I recently began enjoying a speaker upgrade in the main system to a pair of LSiM703s, after my desktop TSi100s just kept sounding better and better.

McIntosh, since my teenage years/70s, was always spoken of in hushed tones, as the pinnacle domestic amp. And, as such, were always the dream. I've seen maybe half-a-dozen, and heard at least two - in a home once, and in a long-forgotten stereo shop during the 80s, I think.

Until I joined this forum, I hadn't really given them a thought in 30 years.

Does a Polk and Mac pairing, to your ears, give a particularly pleasant reproductive realm? If there is a thread for that, I would want to learn more.

Motorstereo - I've never been to an audio show, but I know you must respect a man and a room with a statement and commitment like yours. :tiphat:

24. SandAndGlass

I am not particularly into amp worship. McIntosh makes fine amps, as do other manufactures. McIntosh from early on, made amps that not only had high power but did so with low distortion and were quality built pieces of stereo gear.

At the heart of any amp is the often overlooked power supply. If you want to build an outstanding amp, start with an outstanding power supply.

If you have a large sedan and you put a 1,000 H.P. motor in it. It will have the performance of a sports car. The same is true with an amp.

Polk speakers, as specially the LSiM line, are not particularly sensitive speakers, as compared to a typical Klipsch speaker.

A speaker like your 703's is similar to the 707 towers as far as the mid and higher frequencies go. The main difference in the 707's are a physically larger cabinet and more drivers, as specially for the lower frequency range.

When you want to pressurize a larger room, you need to move more air, in the lower frequency range. This means moving the cones on the woofers. This requires a lot of current. So an amp with a large power supply is ideally suited for this application.

B.T.W. I have the LSiM707's.

25. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Resident

Your wood, metal and glass rack is fantastic. How vintage (I assume) is that? It recalls some Bauhaus/Euro designs to my eyes. And your mix of wood is visually intoxicating. Well done.

sberger likes this.