Post photos of your systems/rooms here! Part 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. Hopstretch

Hopstretch New Member

Mmm, there's nothing like the clean smell of freshly laundered thread.

I just went from actives to passives in my desktop system, which now looks like this. And sounds like this. :love:

[​IMG]

3. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

My college setup, for now:

[​IMG]

In the future I'm working towards acoustics and a larger SS or hybrid amplifier. I will also be adding a Squeezebox Touch once they become available.

4. Hopstretch

Hopstretch New Member

Very, very creditable college rig! I like the way the Ikea chair and cushion perfectly match the Maggie frames and cloths. :)

5. Before and after shots of the basement. There is a door at the left of the screen that leads to the electronics room. Note the bass traps attached to the side walls.

Attached Files:

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I'd love to see a bigger picture. So far I've only shared my office where I do most of my music listening. I should take some photos of the home theater and the bedroom system.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Ooooh, an EAR HP4. :love:

Love the gorgeous woodgrain on the Harbeths.

8. cwon

cwon Active Member

Plan to do any studying?:righton:
    Your neighbors must be green with envy.

9. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

what the fudge have you got those beautiful speakers on?

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They look like the Headroom monitor stands.

11. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

To me they look like what you have left over after building an Ikea wardrobe.

I've always believed light rigid open frame stands, like the original Linn Kans and
    Rega stand were the best for BBC speakers, but I'd love to know more about how they
    perform, especially the bass, and on a table.

opinions?

12. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

My roomates, AKA my parents, certainly don't mind. :D

Plus, they're usually 2 floors up!
    It was an unintended consequence, but definitely a good one!

13. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

Are you happy with how the Onix amp drives your Magneplanars? I have the same amp and was thinking about getting a pair of Maggies to go with it (although my Quad monitors make a beautiful match with the amp too.)

Attached Files:

14. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

I've had the speakers for quite literally 24 hours so it's impossible to say. My main concern was clipping and that seems to be a non issue thus far. A lot of people claim the SP3 isn't powerful enough yet everyone I've talked to that has actually TRIED the setup loves it, myself included. I've only ever listened to the Maggies through high end McIntosh gear and a low end NAD stereo receiver. Not surprisingly my setup sounds somewhere in the middle. It's definitely up there with the McIntosh setup, but for obvious reasons not quite up to par :righton: Oh well, I'll wait until after college to experience the higher end of things :D

15. Hopstretch

Hopstretch New Member

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

David and 6L6X4:

Have you done any tube rolling with your SP-3 yet? From what I'm told, the 5881's are only average for volume, and maybe you can step up to more power for less efficient speakers. A friend recommended 6L6GCs or 6550s. My stock Melodys are fine for now for my efficient Triangles, but I might buy some Tung-Sols or SEDs down the road.

I just switched my stock 12au7s to Sylvania NOS 5963s, and my 6922s to EH tubes. Tomorrow I replace the stock 12ax7s with Mullards. Woo-hoo!

17. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

I'm running new issue Tung-Sol 6L6GC STRs in my SP3 with Tung-Sol 12AX7s and EHs in the other low level positions. Beats the crap out of the stock tubes.

18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm leaning towards the same power tubes you have. :righton:

Just replacing the 12au7s and 6922s made a nice difference. Not huge, but audible. The Mullards should make a bigger improvement in the 12ax7 slot.

:wave:

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A view from my chair:

Attached Files:

20. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Jolida 502BRC and Vandies!

nt

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  21. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

I run Mullard 12AX7s and SED 6L6GCs. Much better sound than stock! I'm very satisfied with the upgrades.

22. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I drive the MMGs with an Onix SP3. While the wattage appears a bit light, that amp can really supply current. There is no problem achieving loud volumes (without breakup or compression) with the volume pot near 1pm.

And I love the way the Onix makes everything sound so real. It is one of the lost bargains in recent audio history. (I have two.)

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I've never heard Snell speakers. How are they?

24. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

DUDE that's the BOMB!!!!!! if I had had that in college I'd have stayed LOL

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

David, very nice. If you are in an apartment with roommates, especially roommates who have a lot of people over, I hope you can lock the door to your room. When I was in college, students weren't always respective of other students' stereos.

EDIT: Actually, seeing as there is a fireplace, it looks like your system is not in a bedroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.