Post photos of your systems/rooms here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doonie

Doonie New Member

You're right. They do sound pretty good for the $30 I paid for them at a RS Clearance Centre years ago.

If these are the Minimus 7s, what are the black ones called? I remember they sounded really nice for their size. Were they also Minimus 7s, just black-coloured?

I would like to replace them with something really nice one day, though. And that JVC surround amp is complete garbage. No juice. :(

:righton: Thank you. I get a big sense of satisfaction making the most with what I've got, no matter the subject.

Hehe. Thought someone might pick up on that. :) I can't really move the speaker, no. I do get feedback if I crank it, yes, but I'm in a smallish room so I never have to play it that loud. I don't really like loud music that much anyways, so it works out. :) I can play it at a "just right" volume with no problems, which is surprising considering how much bass I like. :p Gotta feel that bass guitar!

2. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

That is a pretty good first post! I love DIY rigs. It almost inspires me to refresh my soldering skills (such as they were).

3. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Anybody know of a nice ambient type light I can rest on top of both my front tower speakers to slightly illuminate my theater room without putting out too much light that it distracts from movies/music?

4. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I got a pair of fixtures like this one:
    http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/s_Uplights!Cliplights/63413/
    and put in a pair of 30w bulbs that I use to wash the wall behind my Sony flatscreen. I also added a slight color correcting blue gel (can't remember the exact CC value, but I could get it for you) to bring the lights into roughly the 6500k range. These wash over a neutral gray curtain I have behind the screen and my speakers. The combo of those bulbs and the CC filter bring the light to a brightness just slightly below the level of the TV screen which makes it easier on your eyes. The CC filters also bring your eyes into roughly the same color space as the TV, too.

5. How about one of these:

Attached Files:

6. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

That is just so beauitifully simple. NAD compnents
    and--what kind of speakers are those?

It looks like a million bucks, compared to my mish mash of equipment.

My lastest install is still in the construction stage. MOBILE AUDIO is difficult. I'm still trying to track down these balanced Zapco Symbilink cables. I have the $1,000 18V Zapco pre-amp/EQ/linedriver--but thing thing only uses symbilink cables. I have the Symbilink receiver which takes the balanced signal in and outputs high-DC voltage (for car stereo) RCA outputs. I now have three ButlerTube Drivers--150 watts x 2, 75 watts x 2 and a 50 watts x 4.My first install will just include the 50 x 4 amp--which will bi-amp a/d/sclassic speakers. I still not sure if I'm going to use some really high-end a/d/s passive crossovers for vertical bi-amping or just straight bi-amping.

My main frustation is aiming the speakers to achieve the best imaging--and not have them banging into your knees when you enter or exit the car. Many mobile audio philes use wave guides, that do ahve nice dispersion charcateristics, but need a LOT of EQing to tame the anomalies in frrquency response

7. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I had the minimus 7 before my a/d/s L300 mini-speaker. And actually the minimus weren't all that bad. They could handle much power, where as the a/d/s (really old classic components) just seemed to bloom with the more and better amplifiers powering them.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I vaguely recall the white ones as being "Minimus 7w" or some such in the catalogue, but as far as I know, the only difference between the black ones and the white ones was the color of the enclosure. The pair that I had (which I passed to my parents for use as extensions in their kitchen) were black, and I thought they sounded really nice and put out much more bass than one would have expected from a speaker their size.

9. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

Bedroom system--the Nak Dragon is cool, but I love the OLD ADS L1290 towers:

[​IMG]

Billy Gibbons install in his '61 Caddilac using Bulter Blue series Tubedriver amps:

[​IMG]

My install won't be like this.It's a weird location to mount amps. High-current amps needs plenty of open surrounding space to dissipate heat.

10. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

The Nak CD700II HU will stay

[​IMG]

All of these Soundstream Class A amps are going to be replaced. They were sweet amps. The best ones Soundstream made--a D200II and Class A 6.0. I'm now planning a new amp rack. Power cable MUST be physically separated from signal cables or intersect at 90 degree angles.

[​IMG]

11. easyge

easyge Senior Member

The Nak Dragon is a sweet cassette deck, but the L1290's are so smooth sounding. ADS speakers both car and home were the real deal back in the 80's/early 90's. Boy do I miss them. I used to have a pair of 300i plates back in the day.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Welcome Terry. Good to see another DIYer here - guys like you have a lot to contribute.

13. erik_c

erik_c New Member

I'm new here, but not new to quality audio reproduction. Here's my system as it currently is: Anthem AVM 2.20 pre-pro, 7x100 amp, JMLab Micro Utopias, Velodyne 18" servo sub. I like it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

asilker likes this.
  14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Nice Erik, and welcome!

15. cantona7

cantona7 Forum Resident

Nice. I see you have an Eames lounger hiding in the corner--even nicer! (I have one too :righton: )

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nicely decorated room, erik.

17. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Nice system. Welcome aboard!

18. erik_c

erik_c New Member

The Eames chair was my father's, bought new in 1959. It's been recovered a few times, but other than that is 100% original. My wife *let* me keep it as a listening chair instead of banishing it to the den.

19. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

basically that is the speaker I've been using for front components (It's a great design to take apart--for,like, vertical bi-amping,using the a/d/s crossovers-- or use as a one-piece design). I've had 'em in all my cars. I just gave mt last pair of 300is (the 20th anniversary model) away to a cousin to use as an in-wall speakers for built-in LCD HDTV. I hope she uses them , or I want 'em back!!!

And the 300is--with the 642ix constant bass processor (or inverse bandpass: <100Hz @24db/oct + >170 HZ @24db/oct), it literally sounds like the sub-bass is emanating from the front. those 5 1/4" woofers can produce clean, defined bass, when driven by a decent amp.

Actually, a former SB,CA dealer wanted me to sell him my 300i--because they had the silk tweeter, while the 300is had a beefier woofer and tweeter made out of co-polymer materials.

The ADS L1290's are a very poor man's Vandersteen 3A. I still like 'em, and have the ADS PA-i bi-amplifiers.

20. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

Nice loft--it is like some I'm looking at buying that would be an acoustic nightmare.

21. kurtphyre

Here's some quick snapshots of my audio area. I usually have the grills off when listening and put them back on for protection when I'm not listening to them. Excuse the wire running along the floor; it's an ethernet cable running internet to my Xbox 360.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. A Packers fan!

23. Love the Eames lounge!

My plan--when I win the lottery--is to get one of those and also a 4x2 Eames Storage Unit as my stereo rack.:edthumbs:

Attached Files:

24. kurtphyre

Most definitely. VERY big fan.

25. Is there any other kind??? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.