Post-reunion Skynyrd Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R79, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought we could talk about the post-reunion era skynyrd albums (ie, 1991 and up). The only ones I have are:

Lynyrd Skynyrd 1991 (not bad, decent straight-up rock)
    Edge of Forever (Ok, but dull at times)
    Vicious Circle (Good album, but too many tracks, and did we really need the remake of Gimmie Back My Bullets with Kid Rock?)
    Thoughts on these and the other albums?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I've heard them all and I actually think the best is the Christmas album. It's high spirited, with a lot of blues oriented tracks, and not too traditional or over sentimental. They sound like the pressure is off and they're just having a blast. But of course you have to like Christmas music (All the reunited Southern bands did albums of this ilk in the late 90s-- 38 Special's is also a lot of fun, Marshall Tucker's is way too sweet, Charlie Daniels is half and half).

clhboa, Matthew Tate and spsimmons like this.
  3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Why two drummers?

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

1991 was good, but at the time it disappointed me a bit. I guess I had expectations they couldn't meet any more.

I thought The Last Rebel was better. Twenty is my favourite, though, I love it from beginning to end.

I'm a fan of JVZ Skynyrd, and I find plenty to like on every album, especially those first 3.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Because James Brown had two drummers. That's what Duane Allman used to say. :righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I like the unplugged album Endangered Species.

Billy Taylor and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i agree. to me the last rebel was the beset reunion album. maybe twenty is 2nd best

8. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I thought 1991 was a good album when it came out, good show too. My favourite is Last Rebel, a fantastic album. Endangered Species was less interesting to me. In spite of being a fan of Blackfoot and Outlaws I lost some interest when Ed left and Rickey & Hughie joined and the shows became pretty much all 70's Skynyrd.I t's a long way from Saturday Night Special to God & Guns.

clhboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Certainly. I have the feeling that Skynyrd tried more and more over the years to fit in with the popular idea of what a band like Skynyrd is supposed to represent. The number of outside writers/collaborators increased and by the early '00s they seemed happy to become their own cliché.

Still, I find good stuff even on their weakest albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

I find myself wanting to check out post crash skynyrd after hearing some of their later tracks on compilations I have. I wish they would release a post crash lineup compilation, which at this point is possible with a good sized post crash discography. But they still seem to just be slipping in a couple tracks on every comp with the same ten classic era tracks. Appreciate these recommendations.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

the closest they have is the thyrty set

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  12. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

Yeah i have the thyrty set. Thats what peaked my interest. Thanks though !

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

welcome. that might be the best we ever get unless in a few years they do a 50 set with 50 tracks. this one has 30 tracks so adding another 20 they could certainly make it better. this set misses a lot of post crash highlights that were released prior to 2003

1 keeping the faith
    2 mama afraid to say goodbye
    3 good lovin's hard to find
    4 can't take that away
    5 best things in life
    6 love don't always come easy
    7 home is where the heart is
    8 blame it on a sad song
    9 tomorrows goodbye
    10 red white and blue (can't believe this one was left off the thyrty set)

thats 10 more post crash tracks that imo are as good or better than the 7 included on thyrty

Zbriscoe1 likes this.
  14. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

Yeah I agree thats probably the best shot. Heres hoping !

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Here's an additional vote for The Last Rebel. I've meant to look for an original Capricorn copy of Endangered Species but haven't done it. LS 1991 was as good as the band could make at the time, I think, and it's all right. I lost interest in anything later than those just mentioned, to be honest, especially after various band members began to leave or pass away.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

the endangered species version of the song "the last rebel" is better than the title track

17. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I liked Southern By The Grace Of God (live) a lot. Also dug 1991, The Last Rebel, Endangered Species (unplugged) and the first of many live albums that followed. I was not in the "It ain't the real Skynyrd" camp and generally liked what they were doing and called myself a fan.

But in the years that followed my appreciation dwindled. I initially embraced the idea of a Southern Rock supergroup when they added Rickey Medlocke and Hughie Thomasson but got dissappointed rather quickly. As players and songwriters they got little room on the studio albums and on stage. Rickey is a wildman and his enthousiasm on stage is great but it would have been great if he and Hughie would get the spotlight for at least one song at night. Rehearse 2-3 Outlaws and Blackfoot songs, take them on the road and play one of each and rotate the songs on the following nights. Like stated previously i found "Edge Of Forever" rather dull. Their live setlists became extremely predictable, way too many live releases, "Twenty" was nice, but i actually stopped buying later releases. I personally find that the old Skynyrd's country influences (RvZ's musical taste?) were "outlaw" country but in the last 20 years or so they more and more went the later day Charlie Daniels Band route. Also the deaths of Leon (and his replacement), Billy, Hughie and the way Ed King apperantly was treated played a role. If they would tour Europe once more i would not buy a ticket to see them. If they would perform on a festival i already decided to attent i would probably check them out. But for me they are over. Continue an a smaller scale with The Rossington Band etc.

clhboa, Zbriscoe1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I feel the same way about Rickey and Hughie being in the band. I love them in The Outlaws and Blackfoot but I preferred Ed and Randall Hall in Skynyrd.

I still buy the albums out of loyalty, but they get played once or twice and get filed away. It's just hasn't been the same since the awful "Vicious Cycle" album. I really lost interest after Billy + Leon's deaths.

Matthew Tate and Zbriscoe1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.