Post-Rock Groups

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor/Victrola, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write Thread Starter

I know of five Post-Rock bands that are all instrumental, and find them all exciting and interesting, if also a bit similar. Which is your favorite? Is there one of these that stand out for you? Are there any other similar bands you know of that I may like?

I listed them in the order in which I discovered them. Maserati remains my favorite.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Pelican.

3. Disco Inferno

Bark Psychosis

Isradex13, BradB, Hallogallo and 3 others like this.
  4. pavlinski

pavlinski Forum Resident

5. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

How can they be post rock? They are playing a sort of shoegazin meets sonic youths Murray street album brand of rock. I know many genre names are a stretch but this one is beyond belief.

I like pelican and Godspeed you black the most.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

Not too familiar with all of them, but I've really dug what I've heard from Explosions In The Sky.

strummer101 likes this.
  8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like Explosions in the Sky quite a bit.

GodShifter and ralphb like this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Pop_Zeus and strummer101 like this.
  10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

There's nothing new under the sun so give it a new name and commence fleecing the rubes.

showtaper and Crimson jon like this.
  11. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

I like the Japanese band "Mono" a lot.

12. Remedy4me

Remedy4me New Member

If you are into Pelican, or just heavy post rock in general check out If These Trees Could Talk. They released a new album in 2016 that is excellent.

Pop_Zeus and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The genre name was coined in a Simon Reynolds article in the early 90s (talking more about Disco Inferno and the like) but stuck for a certain type of instrumental guitar band. It's no big deal.

zphage likes this.
  14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Gastr del Sol
    Brise-glace
    Tortoise
    Pullman.
    At least, these are the bands I think of (or want to think of !) when I hear the words "post rock".
    Would Slint count ?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Checked them out and love their sound so I just ordered a couple of their CDs. Thanks!

Remedy4me likes this.
  16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The Necks

17. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Just listened to it this morning and mentioned it in the Sunday Music thread, one of my favorite bands of the 90s in Cul de Sac, beginning with the amazing ECIM debut, and culminating with this final studio album in 2003, Death of the Sun. There was another soundtrack record about the same time, but this was a pretty great farewell. Below the title track, "Death of the Sun" ...

MC Rag likes this.
  18. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I voted Godspeed. I like GYBE! Better than GY!BE

Victor/Victrola, Rob C and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Post rock? I would describe their sound (improvised hour long pieces on piano bass drums) as avante garde jazz minimalism.

--Geoff

20. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

My favourite post-rock album would be "From Bone To Satellite" by Tarentel, although I wouldn't describe them as a post-rock band since their sound changed significantly on subsequent albums.

--Geoff

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Later day Isis is my favorite. Or is that post metal? Tortoise is a great pick.

Pop_Zeus, drapes and Remedy4me like this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

If anyone is looking for new instrumental post-rock music, the debut album from Heron called You Are Here Now is one of the finest you are likely to hear this year ... pretty highly recommended ... amazingly, pretty much self-released via bandcamp, but professionally recorded live at Kane Memorial Chapel in Kane, PA, by the band's bassist, Eric Morelli, mixed by Matt Bayles (Minus the Bear, Pearl Jam, Caspian, Russian Circles) and mastered by Ed Brooks (Fleet Foxes, REM, Heart, Death Cab For Cutie) ... great stuff, one of my favorite things I've heard so far this year ...

mogwai3, Pop_Zeus and enro99 like this.
  23. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Trans Am. I love me some Tortoise and Mogwai too, but the Am deserve love for their numerous consistent quality LPs. Just got their new one in the mail the other day, can't wait to check it out.

MC Rag and mogwai3 like this.
  24. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Post Rock was/is such a catch-all term. I remember around the mid to late 90s when bands like the basically fully electronic Mouse On Mars were lumped in too.

25. Prockrog

Prockrog Well-Known Member