Post-Rock Groups

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor/Victrola, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Does Bedhead count? Or I guess that's "slowcore"? I can't keep my genres straight.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Talk Talk
    Bark Psychosis
    Slint

4. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Yes, thank you! I am just trying to elevate the gigantic shipping rates for the LP (over 20$ US).

5. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I intend to pick up the Bedhead box set sometime. I guess they are slowcore really. Something about them appeals to me though I haven’t heard a single note of their music. From what I’ve read it’s all but guaranteed I’ll be a fan as I love Low, Bluetile Lounge, Codeine, Idaho, Red House Painters, etc.

Rob C likes this.
  6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Love that cover.

7. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I don't know but a little from any of those bands, but I really love that Bedhead box! The music just flows like cool, clear water.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

This thread is great for finding new bands. Explosions in the Sky have been my favorite for a while. I was able to see them live in 2003. Great performers.

This is a local band that broke up. Great stuff. Barbata is epic.
    Embers, by La Fin du Monde

Pop_Zeus, strummer101 and heathen like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

There are way too many genres of music these days. But I guess the critics have to stay employed.

10. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Two bass players? I'm definitely going to check this out!

onlysleeping likes this.
  11. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Yup. Some of the members have a new band, Shadow Limb. More on the doom metal side with some post rock The King is Dead, by Shadow Limb

heathen likes this.
  12. Richmond, Virginia's own Shy Low might have an unfortunate name, but they're one of the better practitioners of post-rock with loud distorted guitars these days. RIYL Explosions In The Sky, or Caspian before they started turning down.

13. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

In that case I really need to check out Bluetile Loinge. And Idaho.

Massive fan of Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon... pretty much anything Kozelek.

Wonder why Codeine didn't go on or weren't bigger - they were loud!

Almost forgot to answer the question... it's Mogwai!

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Head here for Idaho chat & recommendations, would be good to get some more fans in here :

Idaho, the band, are you familiar?

Bluetile Lounge only did two albums and they are hard to get hold of, at least if you want physical releases. Both really good though, and it seems hardly anybody has heard of them.

I was a colossal Red House Painters fan. I still am I suppose, but Mark’s music of recent years has really lost me, and for many years I’d pre order anything he put out in a heartbeat. Not keen on anything Benji onwards. Also, RHP are slowcore / sadcore or whatever, so not really right for a post rock topic.

But yes, Mogwai are the kings of post rock

15. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I didn't really get on with that. And he lost me too. But April... :love: and Mogwai - too many sub-genres - it's doom rock now! :shh:

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Mogwai or Godspeed. They both are amazing bands.

Extract and Pop_Zeus like this.
  17. hitbyambulance

hitbyambulance Well-Known Member

new Fly Pan Am album, _C’est ça_ !

Fly Pan Am – C'est ça - Constellation

and Do Make Say Think released a new one, _Stubborn Persistent Illusions_, in 2017

Stubborn Persistent Illusions, by Do Make Say Think

and to answer the thread's question, MONO. they could have only ever released _Hymn to the Immortal Wind_ and they'd still be my favorite.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    nosliw, mr. suit and Pop_Zeus like this.
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Listening to We Lost The Sea's Departure Songs album at the moment.

Wow - pretty amazing album.

Any fans of this band out there?

iworkatinitech and heathen like this.
  19. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I absolutely love that album. They put out a live version of it last year I think. I think they also have a more recent album than Departure Songs, but it didn't grab me quite like Departure Songs did.

craigobau likes this.
  20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I had a listen to their new album this week and I agree it doesn’t scale the same heights as Departure Songs

21. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The new album by Caspian was released last Friday.

On Circles, by Caspian

This is my first album by this band and I really like what I hear.

Miles1968, Pop_Zeus and heathen like this.
  22. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Got all Caspian’s stuff but new album news has eluded me until now, so thanks

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The term was coined by a British critic who couldn't have been very familiar with progressive rock (in its broad, progarchives-like sense, so that it includes krautrock, RIO, etc.) He described it as "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords"--apparently unaware that folks had been doing this extensively for at least 20 years prior to when he coined the term. Post rock is simply a progressive rock subgenre that's heavily indebted to krautrock, psychedelic/space prog (including stuff like late 60s/early 70s Floyd), RIO, avant prog, etc.

Crimson jon likes this.
  24. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

@craigobau Have you delved into Caspian's other albums yet? I played through all of them this week. I loved the previous two, Dust and Disquiet, and Waking Season. I think the production on both (by Matt Bayles, who did Isis albums too) is better than that of the album before that, Tertia. That album contains great music but is just not as enjoyable a listen as the two that came after, to me. All their albums are worth getting though. I'll be picking up On Circles soon, it sounds excellent going on this review:

Caspian - On Circles

The sleeve is interesting. A brightly coloured wall and an open door. In stark contrast to the Mono & World's End Girlfriend 'Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain' sleeve: a black, bricked up, impenetrable doorway; one of the bleakest sleeves (and albums) you will ever see (or hear). Well worth hearing, just don't plan on playing it at any parties!

Miles1968 likes this.
  25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Various Artists - Open Language Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 -- if yer into post-rock then you might want to check out these compilations from the A Thousand Arms label. Both are "Name Yer Price" lossless downloads from Bandcamp. There's quite a few more compilations available on the label's bandcamp page for further explorations.

--Geoff

heathen likes this.