Post your Matrix Codes for your RL copy of Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Pan007

Pan007 Forum Resident

Bought an UK Red/Plum version I need help with.

Matrix info is strange:
    Side1: 588198 A//6 ▽420 11 19 (stamped) MIKEMOONEy 1973 (etched)
    Side2: 588198 ▽B//4 1410 (stamed) / MJM (etched)

Is this a fake issue? Has someone added the etched matrix info? They did't make Red/Plum labels in 1973??

2. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

FWIK, no UK Atlantic red/plum labels were issued in 1973... never seen matrix info like these ones on plum UK LZ II...not sure and maybe I'm wrong but it is a possible fake (anyway, this is an OT in this thread of course)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. Pan007

Pan007 Forum Resident

Thanks for reply. Sorry for posting in wrong thread.
    Found out that it's identical as these: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    But mine has also the etched text.

Giorgio likes this.
  4. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

[QUOTE = "Slick Willie, poste: 15492882, membre: 37331"] Pas besoin de A / B .... à l'exception des rires! :)[/CITATION]

Hello guys :wave:

I have Led zeppelin german pressing with side-one RL and an Italian pressing. Mint both. Sincerely, when I make a comparison between the two sides A, with the same sound level, the differences are subtle! In some ways, my Italian pressing seems better! The face B of my Italian press is perhaps even superior to the face A and therefore should easily support the comparison with the face B of the RL .... I think! :pineapple:

Sorry for my rudimentary english, I'm french ! :tiphat:

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Odd, you quoted me, yet my post was in French. While that was cool, I did not understand what I posted!
    What I got was that your Italian pressing, not an RL, you feel is equal - maybe superior?
    Is that a fair interruption?
    Very interesting say I.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hello,

Curious than your post was in french !? Yes this second Italian press is incredible! I bought it because the matrix runout etched in the deadwax intrigued me. Do you know, Italian engineers often engraved the date of the cut on which they worked ? Here they are :
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A): SD 8236 1 16 12 70
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B): SD 8236 2 17 12 70

• Labels looks very strange !? What intrigued me was that there were two cut dates. I said to myself, "Hum ... this engineer took his time, maybe he did a good job!?" I had a lot of apprehension because many pressings of this album have a horrible B side. When I started listening to this pressing I was amazed that the side one sounds as well as the side RL of my German pressing ! But side ONE seemed even better! WOW! :yikes: Powerful, very dynamic, lots of details .... no porridge like some copies! How do you explain that? That's my assumption: in my opinion, the engineer received a copy of the master-tape ( so very fresh), then he cut it off with great mastery.
    • The tonal balance is superior on this pressing. The stereophonic image is a bit shallower than the RL, but paradoxically, some details stuck in the channels seem to stand out better. The vinyl play quiet. By exaggerating, because the differences are VERY subtle, I would say that the RL sounds more raw and has a 3D scene. Italian pressing is more refined and consistent ( cohesive ?)... but also powerful, do not worry!

• Several interesting details in analyzing my graphics. If the cut of the press RL is louder, the dynamics seems the same between the two records. In both cases, there are advantages and disadvantages! A strong cut makes it possible to play the disc less strong and thus to hide the crunches. On the other hand, a lower cut requires a more powerful amplifier but less emphasizes the distortion defects of the tape. On this point, the Italian pressing is better than the RL! Another detail, when I listened to my file, two or three times, I was forced to lower the volume when I was closer to the end of the album! As if the engineer had conceived the whole listening of this masterpiece as a rock symphony ... inexorably !!! Unless it's in the original mix ? I don't know. Listening is really exciting ! Every instrument shines wonderfully. This copy is a keeper and looks like a more sophisticated version of RL. This may be the best definition of this pressing!:agree:

• I hope you will receive this post in English and that you will understand me !?
    • Sorry for my rudimentary english guy ! Have a good day ! :wave:

• Christophe

7. Slick Willie

Your English is just fine. Very happy that you found one you like. I can not comment as I have never heard one of those, rarely see anything from France in my area.
    All I have heard are US pressings with RL and Piros in the dead wax...well also some unsigned pressings and a UK plum.
    Maybe others here have some insight?

8. Side 1 Label: ST-A-691671 PR Matrix: ST-A-691671 - A [Sideways P LW] W AT RL
    Side 2 Label: ST-A-691672 PR Matrix: ST-A-691672 - A [Sideways P LW] AT RL ss W

Just found this about a month ago in a local record shop. VG to VG+ shape (a few clicks and pops here and there).

9. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hello,

Happy for you. No RL pressing of this record seems disappointing! Unfortunately picking up a copy RL in mint condition is now very difficult and very expensive! My Italian press, to compare it with my pressing German side ONE RL, and to my surprise, exceptional. I got it for $ 40.00 ... mint!
    Now all Italian pressings have different matrices. There may be variations in terms of sound quality !

10. Christophe Lethimonnier

I live in France but the pressing I picked up and the second Italian pressing of this record. ;-)

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Side One: ST-A-691671-A P LW W AT RL
    Side Two: ST-A-691672-A P LW AT RL SS W

12. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Side One: ST-A-691671 C P LW W AT RL SS
    Side Two: ST-A-691672 A P LW AT RL SS W

13. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

14. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Ridiculous price. These go for stupid money these days. Most of mine were $30-$120 in VG+ or better condition purchased around 3 years ago on eBay. The best thing to do is search "SD 8236" and then just ask amateur/unaware sellers if it has "RL" etched into the deadwax.

15. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

Though I agree partially with what your saying I've found that when you ask is RL etched in the deadwax both times the sellers pulled the listing and relisted at a higher price. What I've found for me works best is to send them matrix info and ask if they see that particular one I'm asking about. Less chance they'll do a search and found out what RL is.

16. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

My best copy is the same other than side 2 is 691672-A.

My other copy is ST-A-691671-1A RL SS T on side 1 and ST-A-691672-D SS LH T on side 2. CTH on the label on this copy.

17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Same experience here...

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I’ve been searching SD8236 for months. If the seller knows it’s an RL, then the price goes up. If “RL” or “Ludwig” aren’t mentioned in the ad and I ask, the answers are usually, “no, it’s not a Ludwig”, or “what’s a matrix number / what’s deadwax?” I’m only interested in NM, or excellent at the least so for me that’s driving the price. I know some think the current prices are ridiculous, but supply and demand kicks in and the price goes up, plain and simple.

19. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I found a II with RL on side 1 and LH on side 2. Never knew lee hulko cut a side. Didn’t buy it because I’ve already have a RL and the condition want the greatest.

20. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I found an absolute mint Speciality pressing RL of II which was going for around £30 GBP including the shipping to the UK. The seller didn't know what he had until I asked if it had the "RL" then he sent another message claiming the vinyl had a crackin it! Yeah right! It was then relisted a week later selling for $200!

Giorgio likes this.
  21. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Here is mine:

Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout): ST-A-691671-A LWP W AT RL
    Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout): ST-A-691672-A LWP AT RL SS W;
    On the label: ST-A-691671 PR (side 1), and ST-A-691672 PR (side 2).

22. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

Yep or it some how got lost or there was an error in the listing. Sucks............

Neilson77 likes this.
  23. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

Picked up this Shelley pressing today that nobody seems to know about:

All hand etched except the backwards Shelley "S" logo
    STA. 691671-N LW AT S (backwards in a circle) W
    ST-A-691672-R LW AT OB (very faint) W

Cover is 1841 Broadway. The inner sleave is early 70's (LZ 4, Houses Of The Holy, Exile On Main Street are advertised.) The label is 75 Rockefeller but pre-Warner communications logo (dating the album between 73-75)

24. Slick Willie

This thread is for RL matrix numbers, but out of curiosity, what is your plant code on the label?

hobbes4444 likes this.
  25. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

Sorry, my head is spinning from matrix numbers. The plant code is LY which is Shelley.

Slick Willie likes this.