Post Your Needledrops (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And here's a song sample rip.

Talk Talk - It's My Life (It's My Life, 1984, EMI America Records)

Same setup as usual. This is a song a lot of you should know -- thoughts on this rip?

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

ghost rider likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

^ Two favorites, both sound great Ben, Especially that Diamond, I think you've mastered the art, I'm doing the old Asia Alpha, I used to own this about 20 years, was stolen, just picked up another, I totally forgot how bright this album was

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh man, yeah. A big problem with a lot of '80s vinyl in general.

And thanks for the compliment! I'm not really posting samples much anymore, time to leave it up to the new blood I think. But since Stefan had asked for the between-song samples, I figured I'd toss up a couple of things.

Plus, if something doesn't sound quite right, I know I can count on Grant to let me know. :D

Thurenity likes this.
  5. c-eling

Yeah odd about 80's albums, I have VanHalens 5150,OU812 that sound great, same with Glass Tigers albums, Dolby's as you know sound great, seems it affected early to mid 80's rock, Journey etc.., who knows I'm having fun

6. c-eling

My Girlfriends Girlfriend gave about 200 7inch 45's awhile ago, Everything from Gabriel to Tears for Fears, 90% all 80's, love those b-sides anyhoots here's ABC's Be Near Me
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/4rk0p5

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Wow, sounding much better. Congratulations on the mat find.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Thanks! I now can't think of anything else to mod on this beast. :D

9. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Stefan thanks for setting me strait on digital audio, sorry for slightly derailing the thread.

Congrats on the mat find Ben. I too found a fair amount of hum reduction from placing some Goldmund cones under my project I had a sample back a few days ago. I’m not sure if it is in the same league as your mat.

Here is the big point of this post I got my new Focusrite Forte and here is a sample. One is the Forte and one is the Echo2
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/trbfnf

10. ghost rider

Stefan I just wanted you to know this process works like magic it just completely removes the click, Thanks

Sometimes you have a complete glitch that just won't go away. In such a case, you might try this one, which completely replaces the selection with an interpolation (guess) based on what's before and after the selection. This one only works on narrow selection that are less than 4000 samples or so.
    [​IMG]

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You made me happy tonight, Ben! How'd you know that is my all-time favorite Neil Diamond song, and it brings back fond memories of my childhood, even if it is of being on the schoolyard before school started on one chilly November morning.:D

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Cool! It's my fave too. A perfect song. :)

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Reminds me that I should dig out a $4 mint copy I found of Taproot Manuscript back in 2006 after I started back into vinyl. It's one of those pre-oil crisis thick vinyl pressings and sounds good. Been too long since I dug it out.

14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'm glad it worked for you. Keep practicing with the tools in RX. It's an amazing program for restoring needledrops.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I grabbed this $1 copy because I had ripped a friend's copy for them, but there was an issue with one track. This dollar bin copy let me fix the rip for them. If I see an inexpensive mint copy, I'll get it, because that original Uni pressing is audiophile quality.

16. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

I had just found a sealed copy of that the other day in a thrift store so I opened mine up and take a quick rip of it and started to worry about something funky going on at the 27 second mark in the song where I heard a dropout on the left channel. Then I listened to yours again and it was there too. Looks like a slip up somewhere when they mastered that album!

17. ghost rider

Any ideas how to make this better? This is that sample I posted a few days ago that had a pop during the last minute of side a. This time I used Stefans's setting in my last post and as you can hear removed all the pops I applied it on. There are still a few to clean up but what I concerned about is how far can you go on parts like this that are very low. It's right above all the record noise.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/puyx7i

I'm rippng a used copy of Porgy and Bess and it has a lot of noise. I'm going to take several days and need some more ideas.

18. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Is this at a high declick setting already? I'm hearing a little distortion at a few points (like around 12 sec in) that sound like it could be the declicker, possibly.

I didn't read the earlier post, but possibly a better cleaning? I usually use wood glue + a SpinClean later to remove static, for those really scratchy records.

19. ghost rider

I ran clickrepair at 8 and possibly RX denoise. This was a record I bought new so I'm not so sure woodglue will help but the spin clean is worth a try.

20. ghost rider

Well I really like the Focusrite Forte!!!! :D It sounds a little bit better than the Echo2 but man is the control panel better. The levels are infinitely adjustable and I can do it from the control panel as well as the unit. It did have a similar noise but a ground lift on the laptop power supply removed it, which did not work on the Echo.

If you get a chance I’m interested in which of these 2 samples you think is better.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/trbfnf

Attached Files:

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Whoops! Meant to post somewhere else. Forget you saw this. :D

22. ghost rider

Porgy and Bess take 1 I did a clickrepair @ 10 and this RX denoise setting. I modified one that Stefan uses to lower the overal noise and 80% of it sounds ok (not to bad) Any ideas how to deal with small sections with a lot of static?
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j4bmk9

Attached Files:

23. Grant

Too late!

24. Grant

Ben, again, I love "It's My Life" by Talk Talk! You must be my brother of another mother! But, I prefer the 45 mix to the album mix. Since I could never find the 45 mix on CD, I had to do a needledrop of my near-mint 45 that I bought when the record was a hit in 1984.

25. thommo

thommo Senior Member

In a way, reading all the above de-noising and de-clicking discussions, I'm glad that I can live with all but the very worst pops on my rips, so I don't really feel the need to post process beyond manually removing big clicks and then just normalising volume.

Not that I'm knocking any of you that have got your process down - more power to you if you've persevered to get to that point.

I just think I'd go mental tying myself up in knots trying to get the process down and generic enough to not require too much ad-hoc tweakery on a case-by-case basis. I had a very little go, and that was enough to convince me of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.