Post Your Needledrops (Part Six)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wellll alrighty then!

c-eling likes this.
  3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Thanks Gary!

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Book Of Love-Tubular Bells (M.O.) Lullaby 1988 Sire US, My AT120 had a hard time with this track, bad warp, Orto picked it right up :)
    Ortofon Serato 120 om
    Declick 1.5
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/frt82h

5. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I've actually heard that album somewhere, but I don't remember where it was. How about this 1968 Israeli cover of "Do You Want to Know a Secret" by Arik Einstein?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k2vbav

6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

This mix is likely on a CD somewhere, but I since I don't have it the needledrop will do. I still love this song 20 years later. I looked up Cathy Dennis to see whatever happened to her and found out she's written hit songs for Britney Spears and Katy Perry among others.

"Touch Me (All Night Long) (Club Mix)" - Cathy Dennis

I had forgotten about the 12" for Heart's "What About Love". This is a U.K. single and they actually did produce an extended remix. The balance of the instruments sounds different than the hit version. The song peaks near the end so it sounds pretty quiet in this sample.

"What About Love (Extended Version)" - Heart

Ben Adams likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This SOUNDS FANTASTIC! It sounds like it came right of the master tape! And, I love this song. I'd buy it!

The separation of the keyboards on the intro is fantastic! It draws you right in. I never cared much for this song, but that intro is nothing like i've ever heard before on vinyl or CD!

Nice job! When I get situated with some disposable income, i'm really going to work on beefing up my vinyl playback. Yours and Stefan's rigs have given me a benchmark to work for. Thing of it is, I do have good gear, so...

ascot likes this.
  8. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Ok, you win. :D

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I second what Grant said about these. Tremendous sound. Removing that pre-amp really made your AT sing!

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Sounding really nice. That's one thing I don't like about my OC9, it doesn't handle warps well, at least not on my tonearm. I was going to needledrop the Proclaimers' Sunshine on Leith this evening but when I started, there was just enough warp that it wouldn't track opening of the first song. Guess I'll have to find another copy.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'm glad you posted both of these as The Waterboys is a band I haven't yet really explored but always intended to. You also reminded me to dig out my Simple Minds LPs.

I can't recall if you mentioned in the last part of this thread what equipment you're using. These sound good, with a really wide soundstage.

13. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Both are very good. Very clean. As always nice work.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Some excellent samples from Ascot, c-eling and FrankieP!

I realize this is busting up the dance music groove, but I found a near-mint early pressing of the Rolling Stones' Through the Past, Darkly and wanted to post this just to show how nice it is. Very, very minimal manual pop removal . . . maybe 6 tics removed from the quiet early section, tops. Much nicer than the Boston sample I posted several days ago.

The Rolling Stones - 2000 Light Years from Home

ascot likes this.
  15. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Oh, I might like to play!

What are the rules...no complete songs?

16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Definitely no complete songs. We usually use a one to two minute sample. It's not a competition although we do compare the same record on different set ups at times.

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

You're not kidding. That is pretty clean. So I took the right channel up to where the bass comes in and reversed it so it plays the piano forward like on the left channel. Unfortunately they don't line up very well. :laugh:

19. psulioninks

OK...here's a 2 minute sample from "24 Hours A Day" off Triumph's ever elusive self-titled 1976 album. I found an original near mint Canadian pressing on the Attic label. Love this album!

I faded in a bit into the intro as it is kind of long so you could get some of the meat and potatoes as well. :)

24 Hours A Day

Enjoy!

20. psulioninks

Song #2 off Triumph's first album (1:30 sample):

Be My Lover

21. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Yes, it is indeed the UK 12". :righton:

22. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

The same with Ascot and Ben Adams, i've been using a modded AT-LP120 turntable with an ART DJ II Preamp for my needledrops. My cartridge is an Audio Technica AT440ML/OCC (the previous version to the 440MLa).

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Excellent work! The samples are very clean and crisp.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ok, I remember now. Thanks.

25. psulioninks

Here are two more off Triumph's second album, Rock & Roll Machine - once again, original Canadian pressings on the Attic Label. :)

Little Texas Shaker
    Rocky Mountain Way

Hope you like!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.