Post Your Needledrops (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Interesting idea about 32 bit float - never really thought of that. Still, if I'm working on a FLAC master down-the-road, I'm working on it anyway so it's not a big deal to up it to 32-bit float while I'm doing that. Audacity does that for me automagically already.

I initially recorded in 48khz rate back on 2011, as my hardware didn't support anything higher than that. But since getting the GT40 I record in 96khz. I probably cannot hear the difference between 48khz and 96khz, but it's nice to have as a storage format and perhaps the upper frequencies do get a slight benefit. As Grant said, I don't want to have to go back and re-do these in another year or two - I already have 24/48 rips from early on in my process that I'm itching to change (changed my TT, my cart AND my ADC / stage since recording them).

This is also why I think I'll keep my hardware as-is, for now. It's cheaper this way and if I do another big upgrade, I may hear all my LP's in a different light again. :D Ignorance is bliss?

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep, still sounding good. Great presence to this. I heard a little distortion in the right channel, but that's probably the condition of the LP.

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Love it! The reverb on Edge's guitar freaking leaped out of the speakers and swirled around in a 3-D space!

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Since Bowie announced a new LP just a few days ago, let's have some Bowie.

David Bowie -Loving The Alien (Tonight, US Columbia House issue)

I've been finding that some record club issues actually sound quite nice. This is one such.

AT-LP120
    M97xE with Jico stylus
    ART DJPRE II
    Sony MDS-JE520 as ADC
    Dithered to 44.1kHz, 16 bit

5. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Nice! I always wonder why there isn't more discussion about Sota on this US based forum. I think you can go down to 36/37k loading with the AT without adverse effects, depending on your taste and setup of course. Keeping capacitance as low as possible/practical at the same time. The MacBook's onboard sound is probably the weakest link for you here. With an external soundcard you could likely do away with the attenuators as well. Enjoy!

6. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Ben, what happened to the Denon? Have you switched back to the AT?

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I really, really love the way my Denon looks and plays, but I feel like I'm getting better bass from the AT-LP120.

Ideally, I would like to have them both hooked up, with different styli for each . . .but that would require a "man cave" of the kind my wife tells me we don't have room for. :D

8. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

^ Good to know it's still there, Ben. Good bass comes from the synergy between table, arm and cartridge indeed. Especially damping of the cantilever/stylus IMO. Counterweight mass will influence this. The electronic damping on the Denon arm too of course.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

One more. This is about as well as I can do given my limitations. The sample is from Blossom Dearie’s 1964 album May I Come In? (title track). I brought this in at 88.2/32 and did minimal processing, using the iZotope SRC and Mbit dither. It maintains some of the air, and some of the bass extension. I switched the loading to 21K @ 530pF.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bwk7dh

10. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Nice find.

Here is the new re-mastered LP for comparison. I'm trying out that Audition 3.0 download for recording software.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gr4c4l

11. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

Hmm... The link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

12. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

Okay..gotcha...what sound card are you using?

13. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

14. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

15. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

VIA HD Audio Deck

16. Ringo75503

Okay..so onboard soundcard and you are using a RCA to 1/8" cable to the blue input jack.
    I totally forgot about that darn line in jack...DOH!

17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Reading this thread has been great and inspiring! Maybe someone will have an idea what I'm doing wrong. In the hopes of making needledrops, a few months back I ordered a Shure M44-7-H cartridge attached to a headshell. I finally got around to putting it on my Technics 1200M3D and was psyched, that is until I listened to it. It had a brittle sound especially with vocals. Is anyone familiar with this cartridge and is this the normal sound for it? It's too late to return it so I'm hoping there's some kind of fix. I know I can't live with needledrops with this sound issue. I also have an ortofon pro s and can get a replacement needle for it to get me going. Any recommendations for another cartridge if this one isn't turns out to be bad?

18. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Do my rips sound bad to you?

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Here's one of my favorites, let's call it one of Steve's Greatest Hits (mastering-wise) from a few years back.

Side one from Rickie Lee Jones' self-titled album: http://ppl.ug/R-utmvZgj6g/

20. Ringo75503

Nope...I think they are starting to sound quite nice...I think I will follow in your ways and upgrade from the Behringer as well. I really hate being stuck at 16/44.1 with it and it seems like better sound will result from using the unit like you you are using.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Let's not pretend that a $40 pre is going to trump a $3000 pre.

22. Grant

You really need to get another cart.

Every time you upgrade something, it shows up the flaws in other gear.

23. Grant

Man, if I could just find my copy of the "Tonight" album, we could do a shootout!

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh, not at all. I'm just amused by the disparity. We're like the Little League in comparison to the Major Leagues.

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Find it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.