Post your speaker set up measurements

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by haz2000, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

5' from front wall 3-1/2' from sidewall. Room is 27x17.
    [​IMG]

DPM, jonwoody, timind and 2 others like this.
  2. Hazelmullins

Hazelmullins Forum Resident

I think this is a great thread. In many of the threads all you hear about is how you have to have X amount of space between this that and the other, and the room configured a certain way to achieve the optimum sound from your setup...and while that is certainly good info and what many people are striving for, it's refreshing to see that many people are just making due with the space they have and some people have to get creative to make their systems work for them.

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Looks like a lot of work! But if that's the best place ... What's the rest of the room look like? Can you be seated 6-8' from the speakers and situated between and facing them? I think most folks have a equilateral triangle arrangement or maybe a bit longer between them and the speaker plane. Usually symmetry works best, especially in that regard. The room can be somewhat asymmetric as I have stated. There are not many 'ideal' rooms in all respects unless one is lucky and/or has a custom-built/designed listening room.

4. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a weirdly shaped room. I will be able to sit 6-8 feet away, no problem!

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Room is 32 x 14
    Speaks along short was, 2.5' out, 6' apart
    4' from side walls
    I sit 12' out from them
    So rear wall ~18' behind me

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Lots of photos of my main HT / dedicated listening room in the linked-to thread in my autosig.

F L/R speakers are 10' apart - measured from centre of woofers. Woofers are just over 9' to my head, when seated. So almost an equilateral triangle. Everything else should be obvious from the pics.

Jeff

7. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

That looks like a lot if work. You have a nice collection.

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Digressing a bit, whilst I'm impressed with the many set-ups shown, my wife would have gone ballistic if I had any cables that could get in the way of her vacuum cleaning.
    All mine have to be in that plastic box trunking that will hide a number of cables which you can stick to the skirting boards, so none on the carpet.
    The several cables from my TV and the five bits of kit under it to my wall unit are in trunking you can see below the TV on the skirting board in the first photo in my original post and the four pairs of cable from my two jukebox wallboxes are in trunking between their shelf and the radiator you can see in my second photo.
    It's then in trunking along the skirting board to the other side of the wall unit.

I've something similar for the three pairs of cables from a wall socket in the corner of the room to my electric piano, its amplifier and music stand light on the other side of the room.

Anything for a quiet life!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Doctor Fine and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

One doesn't need to measure, one simply needs to listen. Why do some of you make this so hard?

jonwoody, Doctor Fine and bever70 like this.
  10. DPM

DPM Senior Member

My room is dimensions are 24'3'' (L) by 17'4'' (W) by 8' (H)

My loudspeakers are 8' (96") from the front wall, and each loudspeaker is approx. 4.8' (58") from their respective side walls with all measurements taken from the center of the front baffle.

I have them spaced approx. 7.6' (92") apart measured from tweeter to tweeter.

Originally, I had my loudspeakers about 6' from the front wall. Moving them out gained me some low end extension and more soundstage depth.

timind likes this.
  11. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

:idea:

12. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

So many things to love in this post. Starting with the Goodmans...but those jukeboxes!!!

jonwoody and Doctor Fine like this.
  13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

That's an opinion I share and mentioned early. Though I do believe in "each to their own."

For me, I rarely ever actually sit down to listen to music, if I did, I'd probably drift off to sleep. I'm usually multi-tasking, either reading or working on my laptop. I just have it on in the background.

With speaker positioning, in my opinion, it's "self diagnosis," much like at the opticians. "Tell me what's best, this or this?" It's about personal perception, Quite often you really haven't a clue.

Thanks for that, there you go.

I've also got a couple of full size ones in our summer house at the bottom of the garden.

This is my Motown and R&B and similar one. A 1969 Rock-Ola 443

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBUGR4qw68&feature=youtu.be

Everything else is in this one. A 1976 Rock-Ola 468

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOeeDu5cR0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  14. Hazelmullins

I would like to point out that the manual for my Wharfedale Evo 4.4s calls the wall behind the front speakers the "rear wall"

Positioning the Front Loudspeakers

The EVO4.3, EVO4.4 models are designed to be floor standing. We suggest that they are positioned at least 200mm from the rear walls and 700mm from the side walls, facing slightly inwards.

15. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's amazing how manufacturer's suggestions differ so widely. Very interesting! Thanks

Hazelmullins likes this.
  16. Hazelmullins

True. Some Focal manuals refer it as the rear wall as well. Others just give a diagram without using any words, just measurement. Some just say "the wall behind the speakers" lol

17. Hazelmullins

Maybe it's just me, but up to this point I have been confused as to how the distance of the speakers from the wall behind them is measured as it is referenced. i.e. when someone says you should have your speakers 2-3 feet from the wall, are they referring to the distance to the back of the speaker cabinet? From what I have found in some of the technical speaker placement publications is that the distance is measured from the front of the speaker baffle to the wall. This makes more sense to me and with my speakers they are now exactly 2 feet from the wall by this measurement . When I look at the manual for my speakers, this isn't clear though and the diagram has the measurement indicator line terminating about 1/3rd of the way from the rear of the cabinet.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

16'x30'x8' Couch is 16' back from the front.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Kyhl, Hazelmullins and Andy Saunders like this.
  19. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Room is 11 x 14
    Off the top of my head:
    Speakers are 20" from side walls to outside corner
    40" from rear wall to back panel
    They are about 7' apart
    I sit 7' 6" from them
    They are toed in equally using a laser measuring tool

If you're doing the math, yes I'm right on the rear wall of the room, so I have some diffusion behind me to help. I only have diffusion in the room, no absorption outside of the rug.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and layman like this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Rega/KEF ... that looks like an awesome system. Congratulations!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Room 478cm x 846 cm
    Front of speakers 150cm from back wall and 130 cm from side walls
    Separation between two center 218cm
    Distance to listening position 218 cm (approximately as I do fdget a lot :) )

[​IMG]

Hazelmullins likes this.
  22. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

Where does one find those trunks?

23. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

~13Wx15Lx8H
    speakers are 33"from side, 34"from front wall measured at the driver.
    a bit of toe-in though I've opened it some which improved soundstage.
    tilt is at ~4'6" off floor(dunno if thats how its recorded)
    my lp is 4ft from rear wall

24. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

And how do you seperate wires in them.

25. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

Nice room.

Noel Patterson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.