Power Amplifier or Integrated Amplifier for Home Theater?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. J., Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul Thread Starter

My secondary system is a home theater setup consisting of a Denon AVR-2809, Sony Ubp-x1000es, Rega Planar 3 with Budgie phono stage, and Tekton M-Lores as my fronts. Decent sound but nothing great, especially in 2.0. Over the years I have tried integrating various budget amplifiers (Marantz PM5004, Chinese S.E.T., and TPA 3116) via a Niles switching box to improve my stereo sound, but I got frustrated with the lack of inputs on some of the amps or the sound (I found the Marantz cold and sterile), so for convenience sake, I just kept coming back to running the Denon by itself, especially since getting the Sony which has only one pair of analogue outs.

Recently I picked up a really sweet made-in-Japan NAD 2200PE power amplifier from the late 80s for next to nothing and hooked it up to the Denon: wow! I got much better dynamics, deeper and tighter bass; more clarity, and better decay. Huge improvement. But after a month, I started to notice distortion from both channels, even at lower volumes. I opened it up and saw nothing was out of the ordinary (i.e., no bloated caps), so I cleaned some of the switches, and tried again. Distortion is still there. So I am back to square one here.

Having tasted what a good power amplifier can do to an AVR, I am intrigued by the idea of replacing the NAD with something new, something like the Marantz MM7025 or an Emotiva a-300. However, I am worried that these amps will not sound as nice as the NAD. I really like the idea of an integrated with HT Bypass but these are hard to come by in the under $1000 range, which is where I would like to keep my budget. The Marantz PM-8005 would seem to fit the bill, but given my experience with the PM-5004, I am loath to spend that much on an amp that a lot of people describe as grainy. The Rega Brio is the sound signature I am looking for but it lacks the convenience of the power amp that can be powered up with a 12v trigger on the Denon (my wife and kids need to be able to use this system for movies). Anyway, what do you think is my best option?

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If you are open to used, then there are units you can get that meet your budget and offer the HT Bypass feature.

(for example, there is a used Yamaha A-S2000 for under $1K on one of the used audio gear sites that has HT Bypass. A list of integrated amps with HT Bypass as of 2017 can be found here:
    http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input0

If you are set on new only, you could use the 'poor mans' approach to HT Bypass by simply using a line level input on the integrated from your Denon's front preouts and adjusting the volume on the integrated to match the volume level of the other speakers connected to the AVR and re-running your auto calibration.

Then mark where that volume setting is on the integrated and any time you switch back to the AVR for movie mode, turn the integrated volume control back to that pre-marked setting.

Of course, you are 'doubling down' on the preamp sections (both the AVR and the integrated), but it is a way to create a hybrid setup so you can connect your other 2-channel audio sources to the integrated when listening 'old school'.

3. Dr. J.

Normally, I am always willing to buy used, but in this instance I want something with a warranty.

Definitely worth thinking about. I love surround sound music, so as long as it didn't feel like a cluster to go back forth, that may work.

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If your Denon's autocalibration can equalize out the front responses (in relation to all the other speakers) then I think that would minimize any 'cluster'.:righton:

5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Parasound a23 is within your budget as an external amp. I use 3 of them and like them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Separate power amplifiers of high quality, separate preamp/processor or cheapest AVR with preamp outs which has the features you need (the power amps should be chosen carefully, as those bought properly can outlive many AV surround formats, spend money on quality there)

7. Dr. J.

I was just at my local hifi shop listening to the Rega Brio and loved it BTW. I mentioned my needs and asked about Parasound b/c he has carried their line in the past, and he spoke very favorably of the 2125v2. He said the a23 has more transparency but the 2125 a bit more heft, FWIW. I could get the former for under $800 new or the latter for $579 in B with warranty. The a23 would come with a 5-year warranty, which sounds pretty sweet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

A good shop should be able to bring that NAD 2200 back to like-new operating condition for $200-250. It will then easily last another 20 years.

I own one and it currently provides the oomph for the stereo system that sits within my main HT - when I don't want to power up the surround system. Had it fully-serviced locally this past summer. It's dead quiet and will drive anything you connect to it without fuss. Incredibly powerful (for its rated power) and capable of tremendous dynamic power output.

Well worth servicing.

Jeff

ps. A common problem in all NAD amps of that era (I own four others) is the "Soft Clipping" circuit. On many occasions I could get distorted sound in one or both channels and all it would take is several back and forth actuations of the Soft Clipping switch on the rear panel to set things right for a couple of months. A temporary solution prior to proper servicing / cleaning / replacement. Give it a try.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Dr. J.

Well my Denon AVR-2809 is a pretty decent receiver and the preamp outs seemed pretty good to my ears. BTW, didn't you have a 4.1 earthquake this morning?

10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Wow, $579 with full warranty for Parasound a23? My local dealer is selling used one for over $600. This is great price!

Wasabi likes this.
  11. Dr. J.

Thanks, Jeff. The key word in your reply was "good". I have a local retired tech who brought back a Marantz 2230 to life but when I called him last week about the NAD, he didn't seem all that interested in fixing it. Unfortunately, for a city the size of Memphis, there isn't any repair shop who fixes classic audio gear. There is a tech about 1.5 hours away in Corinth Mississippi who comes highly recommended, but that is a bit of a hassle. But maybe worth it though. It's good to know someone else out there likes this amp.

12. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

See the ps. I added to my previous post.

13. Dr. J.

No, the a23 sells for $799 at Safe and Sound. The 2125 is $579.

14. Dr. J.

Thanks! I did hit both switches on the back with Deoxit but maybe I need to try one more time. I focused more on the Stereo/Mono thinking that was the culprit.

15. Dr. J.

I didn't get a chance to open the NAD again but when I got the distortion again, I moved the Soft Clipping switch back and forth several times, and that did the trick. So it's most definitely related to this part of the circuit. Thanks again. I'll report after a thorough cleaning. If that doesn't take car of it, I will try to get it serviced. It's a sweet sounding amp.

16. Dr. J.

So the more I researched the problem, it's definitely the speaker relays, which many have reported to be an issue with the NAD 2xxx series of amps. Some suggest replacing them altogether, whereas others suggest burnishing the contacts in the relays. I chose the latter. Some 2000 grit paper and Deoxit did the trick. The channels no longer cut out. I am content for the moment. But...

I am also intrigued with picking up the Musical Fidelity M2Si which has an HT Bypass. The price is extremely attractive but there are not a lot of reviews out there. I am just not sold on the idea of my Denon AVR as a preamp. Even in pure direct mode, the analogue signals still get digitized, which irks me.

Musical Fidelity M2si Integrated Amplifier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.