Power cables do they make any difference to sound quality

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think the answer is that rhodium is used as a "flash" over copper or silver base metals to make connectors resistant to corrosion.

Facts About Rhodium

unclefred likes this.
  2. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I plugged a $100. Shunyata Venom into my Oppo BDP 105 and noticed a big improvement in the sound. It really came alive. I later tried a $250 Shunyata power cable and noticed a further improvement , although a bit more subtle.

LeeS likes this.
  3. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

So if you can hear a difference, shouldn't something like REW be able to hear it too? Post up some graphs.

4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Hsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

5. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Tommy SB, Brother_Rael and Frost like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm sorry but this is laughable. Oppo gave you such a crappy power cord you had to spend another $100 and then $250 before it "really came alive"? Please. I know, I know, you *know* what you heard.

Frost likes this.
  7. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

You forgot to buy the aftermarket power cable with your 1200GR! There goes your budget.

csgreene likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I guess you didn't hear that I ended up cancelling the GR purchase after yet another delay in shipping. Also, I came to my senses (thanks for the delays, MF!) as I had no need for another turntable, especially in this price class - not including cartridge, considering I really love the Technics SL-QL1 I've owned since new. I don't even play records all that often anymore. I just got caught up in the sale price and spending too much time here. ;)

9. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Nooooooo! No veil will be lifted. No liquid midrange. No crystalline treble. No thunderous bass. No pinpoint imaging. No 3d holographic soundstage.:biglaugh:

10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Too bad. I was looking forward to your impressions.

11. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I don't know if these type of tweaks are measurable. And I don't care. I know what I hear. I have one of those Shunyata venom cables and I would not think it could make a big improvement but the Black Mamba cables I have had for years did. I recently upgraded my outlets with Furutech GTX-D (R) and I'm telling you they did make an improvement.

I posted samples in the needle drop section and got a response.

That is interesting. I didn't notice any difference at first but as I kept switching between the two, there is something of a veiled effect on the first sample. The visual difference in the screenshots is more obvious.

scroll down to post 673
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/post-your-needledrops-part-8.401997/page-27#post-20226288

12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I've made cords, bought cords, installed outlets, and used low cost power conditioners in my system. Have kept an open mind as so much is out there regarding power cords and such.

I have not heard what others have heard. I've observed more change in sound with interconnect changes that is for sure.

I do believe correct voltage, unimpeded current can help a sound system play at it's best. Any non normal noise must be dealt with.

I also believe herd mentality and expectation bias are living and surviving well.

My investments in the future will be focused on transducers and components to change or improve sound system performance. That's where I observe the best and lasting results of investment.

Reading some Pass Labs equipment owners manuals is good reading and Nelson's take on things of this nature are similar to mine.

classicrocker and Frost like this.
  13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I haven’t tried the Shunyatas, but the power cable that came with my UDP-205 is the heftiest power cable that has ever came with a component of mine. Even more so than the cord that came with my Parasound HINT. I seem to remember reading in the Parasound manual that they advise NOT replacing the power cord with an aftermarket one... I could be wrong though.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

So was I. I just lost patience with the wait. GC and MF have these on sale from time to time so never say never! ;o)

luckybaer likes this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've heard big improvements with good power cords, not so much with home made ones.
    But, most but not all components respond to power cords.

Tullman and LeeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.