Power Cables... Do they really matter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

You're certifiable alright :D

Or you're running some sort of power plant.

Just Walking likes this.
  2. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

At least they don't fall out with whacko cables :winkgrin:

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

I recently got a high quality power cord and connected it as a master cable going into my power distributor / filter. The difference I heard wasn’t subtle, I was surprised. The sound became cleaner overall, across all frequencies. It was especially noticeable in high frequencies which became louder and cleaner. The cable was only about $90 for 2 meters, it’s from Taiwanese manufacturer MPS, model C-380. Very solidly built, but quite flexible:

[​IMG]

FunnyChap, Dave, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  4. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Bravo!
    an other example that proves: a good cable matters!

FunnyChap, Dave and Tim 2 like this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This is a good example of what one can do with $10 worth of screw-on power connectors, $3 worth of shrink tubing, and a common length of 14/3 cable. I like to do this because the screw-on IEC 320 connector tends to make a more solid connection with the gear and doesn't ever sag, and you can customize the length for your installation. As for sonic differences, I agree they aren't subtle. In fact, they aren't anything.

Jim N., Agitater, jtw and 3 others like this.
  6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Plus they are perty!

timind and Rolltide like this.
  7. siebrand

siebrand music lover

after almost two months of testing (!) I phoned the builder and told him to send me the bill this morning, thereafter I paid it.
    The differences I noticed:
    even lower brakes.
    the medium sweet ones
    wider scene
    improved dynamics (and not just a little...)
    In the end, I also did the reverse test: I took off the power cord and put the Supra back on, which isn't bad either.
    Can't go back. IMPOSSIBLE !!!
    You notice more when you make a downgrade than when you upgrade, mom who sounds more miserable and poor!
    Without doubt, and without any doubt, I say, then, again: the sound improves, if you put a GOOD power cord.

Dave, MGW and displayname like this.
  8. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Power cables make a VERY big difference IME. Having just upgraded one of my cables from a Cardas to a Black Cat Silverstar, I can tell you the difference in SQ was significant. Easily heard by anyone without a pre-conceived bias. The Black Cat is an amazing cable and I highly recommend it. One thing that does seem to be a factor is the quality of the gear that is used with the cable...I suspect that if one were to hook up an inexpensive low-end, or mid-fi piece, to a high end pc, with the rest of the upstream gear being just as veiled, then sure....what the naysayers will report is that there is no difference with adding in the pc. :targettiphat:

FunnyChap, Dave, siebrand and 2 others like this.
  9. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Yes, power cables can make a difference - not always, and any change isn't always for the better. The more resolving your system is the more likely you are to hear a difference. It really becomes an order of priority which is system dependent. Don't expect a great power cable to fix room acoustics or low-performing speakers and amps. Personally I'd be putting the same money towards a quality power conditioner before a power cable.

Tim 2 and dennem like this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I used to think so, but now I’m not so sure :cheers:

SBurke likes this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Okay I've had a couple of high end power cables for some time. I've used them instead in my PC/computer setup. From the wall socket to a mains filter and then to the PC.

So if they make a noticeable audible difference as some say then shouldn't they make a decent visual improvement too? So I plugged one into my 24" IPS monitor...

I'll let you guess my findings. I'm still using it plugged in. I'm too lazy to put it all back as was.

Shawn likes this.
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

They sure as hell wouldn't make any difference in my systems. I'm skeptical they make a difference in any system that is hooked up to the local power grid and standard house wiring. But hey, you're paying for a kid's braces somewhere. ;)

vwestlife, William Bryant and wgriel like this.
  13. skippy

skippy knew it all, when younger

Not IMO.
    60Hz electricity does not know when it passes from the 12 or 14AWG solid core in the wall
    thru a duplex outlet and plug to these $80 cords, except for any incremental resistance.
    Probably more improvement is possible have an electrician go into the service box,
    pulling the breaker, re-tightening the wire retaining screws and reseating the breaker.
    Of course, if that wall outlet does not firmly grasp power cord plug prongs, that should be upgraded...

Conducted EMI is better addressed by adding ferrite beads to existing power cords.

vwestlife likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I think we are all sceptical until we actually sit down and listen.

Dave, dennem, skippy and 1 other person like this.
  15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'd love the opportunity to compare and hear real differences, but I don't really have one. That said, I'm skeptical. Eliminating interference and resulting noise is one thing. But, apart from that, I can't even imagine a rational explanation of how using power cable A which effectively completes circuit X might result in different sound quality from using power cable B which also effectively completes circuit X.

vwestlife likes this.
  16. MackKnife

MackKnife Well-Known Member

Based on my personal experience .. sometimes.

displayname likes this.
  17. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

My relationship with power cables over the years has been on and off.

Al Gator, rischa, vwestlife and 2 others like this.
  18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I tried the Audience F3 for my little Parasound amp. Plugged directly into the wall. It's 10awg. Honestly, I thought the result was a fatter sound than the previous 16awg stock cord. And yes, the seller told me to let it "break in" :-popcorn:. The connectors are certainly nicer than stock and the weight of the thing doesn't pull out of the back of the amp. It is flexible.
    [​IMG]

19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls please remember to turn off your mobile phones so a bit to disturb other viewers
    :-popcorn:

20. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

My power amp has a 200,000 uF filter capacitance power supply. When I switch on, all the downstairs lights dim momentarily. When I switch off, music continues for 20 seconds.

I sympathize with anyone who is convinced they have heard a difference when changing power cables, but I find it impossible to conceive of a plausible way in which a power cable could change the sound of my own amplifier. I’ve been wrong far more often than I’ve been right, so please provide that elusive explanation if you have it. I’m not trolling or baiting or anything. Seriously. Just continuing to scratch my head trying to imagine how a change could possibly occur.

wgriel and csgreene like this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just in case there is any doubt.

No the image on my monitor was not noticeably sharper or more 3 dimensional.

Nor were the colours more vibrant or showed any "inky blackness".

As visual improvements are generally easier to spot... I guess the result is...meh.

Now I await someone telling me how the cable knows if it's meant to improve audio and not visual.

Shawn, vwestlife and csgreene like this.
  22. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

I placed the explanation earlier in this thread. In a nutshell though, all things electrical are governed by something called Ohm's Law. Nothing, not even a power cord is exempt without creating a new branch of physics. A voltage drop occurs with any power cord. If your equipment does not draw much power you probably won't notice a difference. But if it does, the reduced voltage your amplifier sees will probably affect its output power, distortion and output impedance and that can certainly be audible.

But a good power cord does not have to be expensive. It simply has to not have an appreciable voltage drop across it. So good connectors are a start. Heavy enough cable is the rest of it, assuming it also has some bandwidth. I did explain this earlier.

23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Must be because your monitor isn't resolving enough.

daglesj and Shawn like this.
  24. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

How could a minuscule voltage drop across a power cord have any affect on an amplifier with 200,000 uF supply caps?

I have had my wife switch my amplifier on and off with music playing, and I can’t tell when it is on or off as long as she switches back on within 15 seconds.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    wgriel and vwestlife like this.
  25. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

And they're off ...!:wantsome:

Dave, Boltman92124 and Tim 2 like this.