Power Cables... Do they really matter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I just sold an original RA yellow power chord. It made a difference on a particular amp in my old house. No difference on any other component I tried. I suspect in some cases a thicker high current capacity cable will make a difference in combination with better quality plugs. However if I try this I will be making my own cables for around £30 each. It may be more to do with manufacturers providing a cable of just adequate capability especially with amps. Some of these expensive cables appear to be some kind of filter which won't do anything if your mains are decent. I would try a regenerator, balanced mains unit or DC blocker before cables if there are mains quality issues. There are Youtube videos giving suggestions on DIY mains cables that don't break the bank and how to construct them.

Just Walking likes this.
  2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words.
    I will take yoir advice.
    Many forum.members find improvements.
    Aa i say, probably a reason.

3. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

There are two mechanisms that give rise to DC offset on power. First is a real DC offset, which is very rare, and the second is even order harmonic distortion. I have a circuit that I designed that measures effective DC offset, and for my power this measures a maximum of 15mV, so not worth worrying about. But in other geographic errors, near to industrial uses, that can and does approach or even exceed 1V.

Since a toroid in a power amp might be a 500VA unit with around 5 ohms primary resistance, 1V generates 200mA of DC current through the primary. That magnetically biases the core, and at best leads to mechanical hum. And that is why that hum varies with the time of day.

Under those circumstances, a DC blocker is a very desirable thing.

JNTEX likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

If I recall correctly that is quite a low cost PC especially for a high-end(?) CD player.
    You might try something a bit higher end on a sale or return basis. But, even with the RA yellow PC you should hear an improvement. I might be tempted to look at the rest of your system and talk to RA - they are very happy to discuss and resolve issues. (I have no connection with RA other than as a customer!)

5. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

My experience tells me dedicated circuits make an audible difference and if my aftermarket power cords do make a difference I'm not able to hear it. But my garden hose Pangea 9se's sure do look nice plugged into my monoblocks and keep me assured the amps aren't getting current starved.

wgriel and Big Blue like this.
  6. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I do change my system from time to time.
    The Heart of the system
    Leak TL12 Plus x2
    Passive pre( home Brewed)
    Michell ISO HR
    Linn Asak ( retipped,)
    SME 3
    Thorens TD150
    I have tried many hi end preamps.
    Have 3 in stock.
    Always end up with passive
    All standard power chords.
    Van den hul inyerconnects
    Van den Hul Royal Jade loudspeaker
    Wires( i do like like Van den hul kit)

JNTEX and Frost like this.
  7. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Clearly and unequivocally yes, but that does not mean you need to spend an excessive amount of money to get it.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is really more the logic I apply to considering a power cord upgrade. I am sometimes OK with something not making a continually noticeable difference if it is something that acts as an assurance I have removed a potential bottleneck. The ROI on that is, of course, subjective and personal.

JNTEX and motorstereo like this.
  9. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Yes, you might - has been done and proven to be indistinguishable in a blind test.

I guess your personal definition of troll is someone who does not agree with you :)

sublemon and Frost like this.
  10. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Why are you kidding us?

JNTEX and MGW like this.
  11. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

I’m all for pretty wires. I’m not sure how your last 3-6’ of wire determines if they’re current starved or not. I bet if you put an ammeter on your amps supply it wouldn’t ever exceed 2-3 amps at cranking volume. Pretty easy to deliver 2 amps. But again, pretty has value to some including me

wgriel and BayouTiger like this.
  12. Just Walking

Care to enlighten us on your technical qualifications?

Mine: First class degree in Electronics, Phd in Laser Physics, and most recent work System Engineer for the High Resolution Optical Spectrograph on Gemini South Gemini Observatory and International Project Manager for the Mercury Imaging X-Ray Spectrometer, one of ten Instruments launched almost exactly a year ago .

Prior to that CTO of Leading provider of high technology products, systems and tools for research and industry - Oxford Instruments and WHARFEDALE and co-founder of Sagentia .

talkingh, Swann36, sturgus and 3 others like this.
  13. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

For my 2 amps, preamp, and phono stage, I replaced the factory cords with custom built. Furutech FI-28 connectors, Cardas cable, vampire spades. I heard no sonic differences. Righty-o. :crazy: Like we can measure everything in the universe. :biglaugh:

14. CoolJazz

CoolJazz Forum Resident

When you see someone questioning how a cord could possible make a difference "with miles of wire back to the power station", you know that they have no understanding of power distribution or where noise typically comes from in a home audio system.

Internet folklore just isn't based in solid facts.

CJ

Hanks3, VinylRob, sturgus and 3 others like this.
  15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I have purchased a few after market/exotic power cables. Aside from having big connectors that look cool and being kind of inconveniently stiff, they have no affect on sound. I'm a firm believer that a power cord will never have any effect on a component with a properly designed power supply. However, if you think you hear a difference, go for it.

nb i'm pretty sure my system is revealing enough to hear if there is a difference, but of course my ears may not be. If you are a male over age 40 or so i don't think this talk of reducing the noise floor is likely to have any benefit for you anyway, since you probably can't hear that noise floor :p.

__Patrick__ and petertakov like this.
  16. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

They're 1200 watt monoblocks and I used 9' cords which allows me to reach the breaker panel for 2 dedicated circuits wired as close to the breaker panel as I could get them. My thinking is those 150lb amps are overkill so their wiring should be to:)

Just Walking likes this.
  17. TheMan84

TheMan84 Active Member

Interesting. Many people would say that power cables and all power components in general, do the most audible work because they work downstream.

I wouldn't mix belief into this ;)

MGW likes this.
  18. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Like I said, my 'limited experience' and I earlier noted that Russ Andrews states power first from a much greater level of experience and knowledge.
    I suspect that my experience relates to having done PCs last and then being too lazy to back track to work out what was really going on.
    Too busy enjoying the sublime sounds.

19. John

John Senior Member

Don't worry about doing the dedicated lines later. I added powercords to my system first, then added two dedicated 20 amp lines later. IME you will appreciate the dedicated lines even more, with quality powercords in place.

displayname, MGW and lonelysea like this.
  20. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Well, that is good enough for me!

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Can't speak for the fellow you're referring to, but otherwise, for me, damn straight! :D

22. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

This is not an empirical evidence but rather an anecdotal one.

So, your strong conviction and dismissal of any contrary opinion is based on your "limited experience" and belief in someone else's claims - someone who makes money from selling aftermarket cables? Sound ...

sublemon likes this.
  23. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Yes, you will probably need power cords.
    :laughup:

petertakov likes this.
  24. Just Walking

We'll never convince our friend from Bulgaria, so it is a conversation that is not worth continuing. He's really just trying to close the discussion down.

MGW likes this.
  25. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Big conductors and good/tight connections are things I ensure are part of the power delivery to amps and everything else in the stereo system. My main system is also on dedicated lines. I'm also not able to hear a difference with shielding, etc in the aftermarket power cords.

JNTEX, wgriel, motorstereo and 2 others like this.