power cord recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

power cords recommendations?

Once a friend gave me some sort of DIY powercord for a few days, designed only for sources. It really improved my Sony 9000es performance in comparison with the usual one. Since then I really believe in powercords that make a difference. Unfortunately I could not purchase his powercord so I'm looking for some great ones (for my Sony, McIntosh MHT100 and Denon 2900) that will not cost me a fortune. Wollf's chords are supposed to be simply amazing, but I guess they are way too pricey. Any recommendations?

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've been really happy making homebrew a/c hookup with 12 guage silverclad copper wire (stranded---intended as speaker hook-up cord) and hospital plugs.

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

E A and B barred worked for the Ramones.;)

5. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

:laugh:

James

6. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Power chords, I'd have to recoemmend, Deep Purple. Power cords, I've got a LAT power cord (C$75) on my Arcam DVD and it was a night/day difference from the supplied cord.

Honest, sorry 'bout the humour.

Brian

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh: I honestly thought it was going to be a guitar chord question that was being asked! Power Cords are different than Power Chords. :shh:

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Works for me! :laugh: :laugh:

9. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I guess it is to determine which of us are guitar players. :wave:

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I got faked out too! :D

I changed the thread title, so now people will wonder what all of the fuss was about!

:-jon

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good move, Jon. We don't want discord on the chords or the power cords.

:D

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Of course! No, there are people who are IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD thread! :D

14. boead

boead New Member

I auditioned a few power cords. I choose the Virtual Dynamics Power 3 cryo for my Denon 2900. It was a close tie with a Harmonic Tech AC-10 which I ended up using on my preamp. I also have a Virtual Dynamics Power Basic on my sub and a Kimber Model 10 Gold for my SET amp.
    The JPS Digital cord was also really good! I still may get one.

15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Shunyata Snakebite

Did anyone get one of the Shunyata Snakebite Powercords that were available recently from Music Direct for $99? They don't appear to be available anymore.

16. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Because this would often end up putting the unit into a different price band than the one they were aiming at, which would result in the selling a lot less units than anticipated.

17. antonkk

Guys I'm sorry for my spelling mistake. English's not my naitive language so I was absolutely sure that chord=cable! :D Now I really need to bang my head to some Smoke on the Water!

Thanx for all the replies. I tried Shunyata link and found that their cables have american connections. Anyone knows if all these brands do both american and european versions?

18. tomd

tomd Senior Member

antonkk-you should contact Michael Wolff- he has a few 2nd hand power cords that came back after people traded from V1 up to V3 of his source cords.I just purchased last night a V3 source cord that was traded in by a customer who desided he needed a gain cord instead.Got it for less than half it's original price.

19. antonkk

A good idea, but his site doesn't seem to work... :cry:

20. tomd

tomd Senior Member

21. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

It looks like Arcam DVD units start @$1,000
    http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/ardvdpl.html

Wouldn't it be foolish for Arcam not to include the LAT power cord (or similiar) for a few dollars more (bulk purchase price) for a night/day difference? Kinda like chevy equipping the Corvette with minivan tires & wheels to compete with other sports cars.

WVK

22. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

On the plus side, a cheapy cord allows the owner to select their choice, yet on the downside, a manufacturer could match their gear with optimum cord.

Brian

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Is switching out a power chord difficult? I know maple shade sells a "kit" to replace stock that just amts to cutting off the stock and "wiring" together the new one. sounds kinda crude.

doug

24. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

There are two flaws in your argument.

The first is that it would only raise the price by a few dollars. Arcam may be able to buy in bulk and receive a cheaper price, but it's the total cost of the player ex-Arcam, multiplied by distributor and retail costs and markups, that determines the final retail price. The retail price of the DVD player could be 2 or 3 times the retail cost of the power cable on its own. No manufacturer wants to increase the retail price of one of their products by 10-15%.

The second flaw is with perception. Most buyers of a DVD player would not perceive any extra value in an aftermaket power cable. Therefre it makes no sense to include one. The small percentage of people who do care about aftermarket power cables are free to purchase one.

25. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Geez.... this is one of the problems with this place growing so quickly......... we've lowered our standards...................... whatever happened to the three flaw minimum? :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.