Power outage and class a amplifiers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Danielisr, Oct 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielisr

Danielisr Member Thread Starter

Just noticed that the power is off in my neighborhood,I immediately disconnected the amp(luxman l550 A2) from the outlet before the power is back.
    My question Is can an amp in stand by mode can be damaged from the Power outage?

2. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Seems unlikely....should be the same as unplugging it...relax bud it's fine:)

3. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

The only situation that might cause damage is too much inrush current if the power flicked on and off multiple times in rapid succession. Many power amps have delayed turn-on relays that prevent inrush current problems. I don't know about your Luxman model, but if when you turn it on, it takes several seconds until you hear a distinct click before the sound comes on, then it likely has such relays. Or perhaps the amp's standby function handles that situation.

4. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

In rush current is the amperage drawn by the device on start up(a problem with large single phase motors in particular)with the Luxman in standby mode it's not an issue.If a voltage surge caused the power outage then yep anything's possible.

Mike-48 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.