Power strip for my new dedicated lines?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Big Blue and Ingenieur like this.
  2. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

This was the first conditioner/surge protector I owned. I think the Power Station series and the Brickwall are better at lowering the noise floor.
    My Brick Wall is excellent at filtering RFI/EMI. I have my router plugged into it and it measures zero RFI.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah I don't expect much from it except proper surge protection and enough current delivery for the gear. It seems to be low noise and functions well.

Lowrider75 and Ingenieur like this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

How do you measure RFI?
    On the 120 VAC from the power strip?
    It's typically uV range

5. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Which Brick Wall is again Lowrider?

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Ear test confirms ZeroSurge is far better than previous Monster and Panamax, plus I can get a 20 amp version. How long have you had yours?

7. Lowrider75

bajaed likes this.
  8. Lowrider75

ZeroSurge, same unit as Brickwall...
    https://zerosurge.com/plug-in-products-solutions/?cat=8-receptacle

I've had mine for a few years although it hasn't been used the entire time. I tried an Audience 2 receptacle for a while.

Shawn and jupiterboy like this.
  9. Lowrider75

I use what's referred to as a RF "sniffer." It's not as accurate as test gear, but it seems to work very well.. It's a device that's used to detect "bugs" like hidden microphones and video cameras.
    Since I got heavily into streaming I've been improving my setup. The line from the cable company is full of RF and so is the router. I use CAT8 to the Node2i and this device detected RFI going into my system. I have new power conditioning so I used the Brickwall on the router (separate circuit than audio) and the LED's indicated no RF, also no RF on the ethernet line. I touched the device to the cable line from outside and it indicated very high RFI. It's a good unit for the home, not for industrial or commercial applications.

jupiterboy likes this.
  10. Lowrider75

I lent it to a friend and he discovered areas of RFI in his house and system, so it's well worth $20 made in China.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

12. Lowrider75

13. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

No, we don't, but for the OP or in a similar situation, you could get a nice powerstrip and one of those or another plug in suppressor and see it you like it. I'd be surprised if a plug in would limit current. I'm not vouching for the measurement devices, but I'd love to hear someone discuss the applicability. I don't have a big position here, but I know after having been down a few paths I'm happier with my sound now.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  14. Lowrider75

@Ingenieur , do you know if the Furman isolated strip receptacles share a common ground or neutral?

15. Ingenieur

That is not measuring RFI.
    There is no way he would get 1.3 V
    It is measuring DC offset and sum of harmonics. And likely, mostly RFI in the air absorbed by the cord.

I've measured mine with a Fluke 438 PQM.

16. Ingenieur

By code it has to

Lowrider75 likes this.
  17. Lowrider75

I was told by an EE/audiophile that no power conditioner receptacle is truly isolated. Thoughts?

18. Lowrider75

That's a very good point. Distorted harmonics and DC were the cause of noise on my line. It was coming from a corroded line inside the meter box. Had to have the entire line replaced.

19. Ingenieur

It can't be electrically isolated. You have a copper path from the service xfmr to the power strip outlet. No air gaps.

The only way to isolate is a transformer.
    There is little RFI in power, house wiring picks some up, but very little. The freq is so high >500 kHz that the power supply xfmr filters it.
    A xfmr is an inductive device, the Z is 2 Pi f L
    For 500 kHz ~ 3.1e6 L Ohms
    Even if L is only 1 mH, Z is 3100 Ohm vs the load of 6 Ohm 120 V / 6 A)
    This much RFI will pass 6/3100 or 0.2%

The best that can said about any of this is convenience sand OV/UV and surge protection.
    It does not improve power quality, but the good news is it doesn't matter since it converted to DC.

20. Lowrider75

Thanks, appreciate the answer. Forgot that RFI frequencies are very high and can be filtered.

So, do you think the noise being reduced by a conditioner is mostly coming from devices in the house?

21. Ingenieur

If I thought PQ made a difference I would do this. Much less than the high priced conditions and cords. It will filter out all harmonics, it will correct power factor, it will dampen
    V surges not large enough for the SS surge suppressor.
    Your whole house would have clean power.
    You need to be the only load on the service xfmr., otherwise it needs sized for your neighbors. Lol
    This will control noise generated within your home, everything on the bus.

[​IMG]

Lowrider75 likes this.
  22. Lowrider75

I think in my case, noise is on the outside line. Old rowhomes sharing a transformer wired in series along the rooftops with drops at each house. Most houses have old service panels, questionable grounding. One of the electricians said I may be the only one with ground rods.

I made sure not to say my noise is coming from the grid. It's contaminated by my neighbor's power.

33na3rd and 4-2-7 like this.
  23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Not really, it's separated from other things in the house that draw amp, depending on the system it could be important.
    No it's not, noise from other things in the house and from outside will still corrupt that line.

Nope

Yes

Better with both, and is why the OP started this thread.

That is debatable, if you have noise leaking into the system from LEDs, Refrigerators, Dimmer switches, sewing machines you may be able to really hear it, this is real!!! If you block and filter it from being amplified into the system it will sound better.

Oh it will, the only thing a dedicated line does is supply the full power of that circuit to the system without anything else drawing from it.
    I can probably go to your house and plug things into your house and run them and you''l hear it. Just because you have your system, your space, and use it the way you do, does not mean everyone is under your same conditions.

24. Ingenieur

I just measured mine, residual over the nominal 60 Hz fundamental summed.
    w/o 30-35 mV
    With 25-30 mV

The reduction of 5 mV max was likely freqs over 10 kHz, my filter cutoff. The other stuff is DC and lower odd order harmonics.

The 30 mV is still -72 dB off the fundemental.
    BEFORE the power supply.

If your filter goes down low enough what it attenuates is minuscule RFI and your switching power supply's noise.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

You may need more outlets, have digital and analog equipment, you will be better served with some type of conditioner that separates the stereo components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.