Praise for the AT-VM95ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AH55, Mar 10, 2020.

1. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The AT printable protractor PDF would be exactly the same.
    There is a 50-50 chance, or better, that the premounted version will be spot on as it comes. You can check it on the AT or other protractor. If it needs any adjustment, that will be E-Z.
    Just pull the trigger, when you can, you'll love it and know it is one of the best carts under the four and five figure price range and superbly holds it own anyway.

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Late reply, but I found out my JVC QL-Y5F turntable capacitance for the tonearm wires and interconnects are a total of 105pF, according to an archived review from the July 1981 issue of High Fidelity magazine.

JVC QL-Y5F turntable (review, Jul. 1981)

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Maybe it would be worth it to re-check the alignment for the mp200? :)

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

It looks like the cartridge is plugged directly into the tonearm without any wires? :)

JackG likes this.
  5. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

both were aligned with the same method and checking process. The mp200 sounds not as good once it hits the inner grooves for my 80s jp records where they use very bit of surface area. Overall the vm95ml is a better buy for me since some of my fav tracks are at the end of each side.

bluemooze and 33na3rd like this.
  6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

They're a little scrunched. :)

bluemooze and 33na3rd like this.
  7. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I recently bought an AT VM95ML to mount on my Rega P3. I’ve never mounted a cart before. What would the best resource (protractor and possibly instructions) to do so?

I saw suggestions of using a protractor from Electric Warrior’s website

FJFP likes this.
  8. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

I would use the aligment paper/cardboard that came with your P3, supposing they still provide it with the tonarm (mine came with a Rega RB 300).

That's easy to hit the point. After that you can still experiment with Stevenson or others.

Bye Andrea :wave:

Floyd47 and csgreene like this.
  9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Rega makes a protractor. I'd suggest learning with an arc protractor, which is going to give you the most accuracy. The ML stylus is a rewarding but not a forgiving stylus in terms of alignment, so you have a task. You'll also find you need some good magnification. Surprisingly, the size of the magnification glass makes a big difference in that you want to be able to get down near the surface of the platter. Good lighting that can be directed is also essential—so you'll also assemble a set of tools that work for you. Remember to disengage the anti-skate and rough in the VTF before you start. It's intuitive once you understand the basics. Overhang is the first thing to get right—so the stylus tip sits on the arc at any point along the arc.

I'd suggest blocking out a little time and taking some breaks as you'll feel pressure to think it's good enough. It's an essential skill to learn, but if you don't feel up to it, getting a properly aligned cartridge body with a replaceable stylus can work pretty well. Good luck!

Floyd47 likes this.
  10. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

In addition, be very gentle with the cartridge leads.
    You can print out the protractors from Vinyl engine. They have a couple for the Rega.

Floyd47 likes this.
  11. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Don't sweat it, I've experimented with loads of alignments over the years and never really heard a difference. Parallel in the centre of the slots won't be far away.

C.Ludwig and Floyd47 like this.
  12. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I checked and rechecked the alligment of my 95ML on my Rega Planar 2 using the protractor that came with the P2. Measured and rechecked: The cartridge and thus needle is just of the center from the head of the arm. A little to the right of the center of the arm.

Any other members have this as well? By ear everything sounds like it should.

Floyd47 likes this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

My vm95ml/H came with an overhang of about 49mm from the washer (Technics jig). Needed to be adjusted.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I ordered my VM95ML on the AT shell and had to adjust it to Technics' specs. The gauge makes it easy. I've got a VM540ML coming later this week which I purchased on the shell and it too will need to be adjusted to fit properly on my GR.

C.Ludwig, bluemooze and Boltman92124 like this.
  15. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

The card I got with my Rega 3 (2016) only has one alignment point, which makes it pretty much useless for non-Rega carts unless you get the overhang right by fluke. I used the Vinylengine arc protractor and it worked well, but as others have said I'd recommend setting aside some time, getting good light and putting the cat out. Also, when using the arc the general advice seems to be to start at the outside then check against the inside. I would recommend the other way around as you can see the error much more clearly going in this direction.

Apart from that, this is not the rocket science brain surgery mash-up that it's often made out to be. Take your time, get it right, you'll be fine

Floyd47, Andrea_Bellucci and csgreene like this.
  16. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

Hm, interesting, I really never thought about it, but that makes sense.

I used the Rega aligment cardboard with three different non Rega carts and always got a nice result.

But maybe they are now using another one. Mine has a hole for the spindle and three lines with one dot (x) where you have to drop the needle exactly on. Also the cartdridge seems to sit pretty close in the middle of the Rega tonarm-head.

Bye Andrea :wave:

Diapason likes this.
  17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Thing about alignment and it is even more important with a finer stylus is that you are not aligning the cartridge body. You are aligning the cantilever and the stylus.

If someone tells you close enough is good enough, don't buy used records from them.

Floyd47 and JackG like this.
  18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Ah you broke down and had to try a 540ml! Enjoy!

aunitedlemon and csgreene like this.
  19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Great!
    And, finally, when you get the 540ML/H, could you put it on the Technics tool and take a picture of it as it comes. Then a picture after you adjust it. (And post the pics.)
    The question has come up a few quintrillion times here, and before this thread, nobody remembered, like me, whether I adjusted it or not.

20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Sorry, no.

21. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding mounting on p3 - I’ll need to work on that, probably over the weekend.

22. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Nobody?

23. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

The cart is set by AT at 52.5mm

24. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

AT publications state the cart is set in headshell to a 52.5mm distance from stylus to headshell tail. I checked it and found it to be indeed set to 52.5mm.

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yes, I know.

C.Ludwig likes this.