Praise for the Shure M92E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jking3002, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I own/have owned quite a few cartridges including-

1.) AT440MLB
    2.) Grado Red
    3.) 2M Blue
    4.) Shure M97xe

and many other carts in the $50-$250 range but for some reason I just love the sound of the cheap current production Shure M92e on some records. Yes, it can struggle with siblinance at times but it’s just so punchy and warm without giving away everything in the high end. Try it out if you’ve got a spare $50 laying around.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Different strokes, I suppose.

The Shure M92E made me want to swear off of vinyl. I consider it the worst sounding cartridge that I've ever owned. Thin. Reedy.

I thought the bass was so inadequate that I over-corrected by getting a M44G. That brought out the bass, but it, also, made my records sound compressed.

After that, I got an AT95E. That one did the trick. My records sound like they're supposed to sound.

I've generally stuck with budget carts. The AT95E is the one that I've been happiest with.

Don't mean to threadcrap. Just being honest. I really don't like the sound of the M92E.

Jking3002 and H8SLKC like this.
  3. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

You say "on some records". Any style in particular? And do you prefer that M92 to the M97xe?
    I was very happy with an old M95J I had, until I tried the Grado Gold. I also tried a M44G but I didn't like the sound.

H8SLKC likes this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I am not an Audio Technica fan. AT-95 did not work for me a few years ago. Bought a AT-120e a month ago. Sold it due to being too shrill on treble. Settled on a Grado blue for now.

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
  5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I'm always a fan of budget-gear discussions. I haven't tried the M92 but have been tempted. I currently run a m97xe with 97HE stylus and have been very happy with it. I have seen that the M92, in addition to being inexpensive, offers multiple aftermarket stylus options. I'd bet that there are some mighty fine options out there for it, and that many Shure styli models will fit the cart if you want to try different flavors in the future.

For allied333, I'm also running a Grado blue on a different table, although it has been potted, longhorned and I bought a .2X.7 retip from Needlestein (via AK) and have been really enjoying it. For the first time in a couple of years, I have left my cartridges installed and unchanged for almost three months now because I'm happy with how they sound in their respective set-ups.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Jking3002

No worries at all! I’ve owned both the AT95E and the M44G as well.

The AT95e is great for the money, very clean sounding but still fairly well balanced. Handles siblance and IGD really well when set-up properly. There is something I can’t quite put my finger on about it that makes me not “love it.”

M44G didn’t work too well for me. Great tonality but also pretty sibilant- I prefer the M44-7 for that reason.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    H8SLKC and dlokazip like this.
  7. Jking3002

It seems to really like classic rock records the best for whatever reason. Put on something like 461 Ocean Boulevard and it just sounds like it should in my head.

The M97xe was my main cartridge for a good while. The soundstage is narrow and it can get muddy at times but it’s not too pricey, looks cool, and tracks very well!

ishmaelk and H8SLKC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.