Pre-emphasis and OPPO Blu-ray Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by evad, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You might want to PM forum member SamS as he is well up on the capabilities of Oppo's players (although I see that he has contributed to this thread, so may well respond here).

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I haven't tested the 203 or 205, but my 103 has properly deemphasiszed every CD of mine (only a handful) which I know to have preemphasis. The only bad thing is that it doesn't indicate to you when it is applying de-emphasis on the front panel like my Direct Stream DAC does.

sa5150 likes this.
  3. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

I just got this note from Oppo , "Yes, the player continues to support de-emphasize based on the TOC of the CD-Audio title that you are playing in the player" , Not sure what they mean by TOC ?

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

TOC = Table Of Contents

For more info, jump to Page 2 of this thread.

chili555 and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Correct, Oppo's have no problem with TOC, it's when the tag is located in the SUBQ Channel.

6. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Is there a list of what cds have it SUBQ Channel ? Hopefully I won't ever own any cds like that and maybe this is a good purchase . I don't know ... I really need a nice UHD player with Sacd and analog inputs on the back , These Oppos are going fast . It's a lot of money .

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

It's why I never went further with Oppo, I want to throw in a disc without having to worry about it. If you do end up with one with the tag in the Q you can always rip it via foobar with the plugin and burn a disc or stream/usb it.
    Here's the most updated list. I tried as much as I could with the available data to provide where the tag is located.
    Pre emphasis list?

BGLeduc, SOONERFAN and sa5150 like this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Every CD has the emphasis flag in the Q subcode, as that is how it is indicated. However, it depends on whether the Q subcode is occurring during the Lead-in (which defines TOC entries) or during a track. Again, read Page 2 for the details.

Simon A, SOONERFAN and c-eling like this.
  9. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thank you very much . :)

10. c-eling

Thanks Elk, I didn't know this.

11. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Will the Oppo BDP-103 properly handle PE when it's fed from an attached hard drive vs from a cd that's being played?

12. c-eling

The flags are not passed on when the disc is ripped.

13. TarnishedEars

No, but neither will anything else when you are talking about ripped CDs so far as I know. If you have CDs which are ripped, then you need to use one of the software tools which is available to process those files to apply de-emphasis to them.

14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

My plan is to rip cds to a hard drive using dbPoweramp, then connecting the drive to the BDP-103. I thought I’d read where I could indicate on the ripped file that the cd had pre-emphasis.
    So can I take this to mean that flagging it in the file wouldn’t affect the playback. Sounds like the Oppo can handle them if I play the cd on the player, but not if I’m reading from an attached drive. Since I won’t be using my computer to play this, it doesn’t sound like I’ll be able to use any kind of equalization for the pre-emphasis CDs .

15. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

It’ll be fine if you run the rips of pre-emphasised discs through one of the many free software de-emphasis tools. xAct is quick and easy if you’re on a Mac, I’m sure others here will be able to advise for a PC.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  16. TarnishedEars

Exactly. Just run a software de-emphasis tool against your files with known pre-emphasis, and be done with it. I'm pretty confident that wav files don't contain any information about pre-emphasis. I'm less certain about FLAC, but I doubt that it does it either.

I'm wondering if the OP might have HDCD tagging (which can survive ripping, assuming that nothing gets normalized) mixed-up with decoding pre-emphasis, which does not (so far as I know) survive ripping.

onlyacanvasky likes this.
  17. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

And if you’re not sure, have a listen. For all my pre-emphasised CDs (which included some 90s repressings) it was immediately obvious - as stated upthread, a curve like this isn’t easy to miss.

[​IMG]

That’s an interesting idea, i’ll have to load some HDCD rips onto a stick and pop it in the Oppo to find out. I know it picks the discs up instantly.

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

HDCD is embedded in the audio data, so is preserved. Emphasis is embedded in the CD sub-code, so is lost.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  19. TarnishedEars

Exactly.

20. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thank you

21. What exactely did you worked on the Scarlet Book? Isn't Scarlet Book the SACD format? Does SACD allow pre-enfasis? It makes no sense.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, the Scarlet Book (actually books, as it is in several parts) defines the SACD standard.

I worked on Part 2: Audio Specification.

No, there is no emphasis in SACD.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  23. I envy you in a good way, it must have been very interesting to work on a format like SACD that uses a digital format unlike anything seen and heard before as DSD. DSD is a format that I love.

24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, a joy for a music-lover who also loves high-quality playback. I got to attend recording/mastering sessions, and meet many of the names we see plastered all over our record collections!

Here's an old thread where I discuss a lot of the SACD history: Early SACD test pressings and format history

(some of the images may not show, but you can click the links to see them -- they are still stored on the Forum)

c-eling likes this.
  25. Thank you for the link, I truly appreciate it. I've read it all and discovered some interesting facts about SACD I didn't know. I remember the first time I read about SACD and DSD, if I remember right it was back in 1998, or maybe 1997, I don't remember on what US magazine. I ended up fascinated (I am still) by the concept of DSD and I was sure it would be the digital system that would end all the issues I didn't like about red book CD like it's hard/harsh sound, plain and dull imaging and bad reproduction of the top end. As I said many times here I still haven't heard a CD that gets string instruments sound right, and drums too specially cymbals, but LP records and SACD can. 192/24 gets close but it's not there. I whished the 2015 Van Halen remasters were done on DSD and not 192/24,they sound great but I'm sure DSD versions would get them sound even better.
    You know why I got my first SACD player? The 20th Anniversary for the soundtrack of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial that is my favourite soundtrack was released as a hybrid stereo and multichannel SACD. I ordered the SACD version from Amazon US and run to a local Sony shop to get an inexpensive SACD player. I was amazed at its sound quality either by the stereo and 5.1 version. I later got other SACD's like Boston S/T and I also loved its sound, very few SACD discs have dissapointed me. I remeber the first time I heard Mr. Hoffman's SACD for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, it has an amazing sound that no other format can achieve apart from vinyl LP. It's a pitty the format didn't really catch on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.