Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Hi everyone,
    can anyone test and answer me whether CDCBS 83900 (first European edition of Toto "Hydra" - pressed in Japan but not from same matrix as 35DP edition) has PE or doesn't? I already have later issue of this album which is different mastering (?) as it doesn't have PE, but 35DP issue does, which I was trying to find for a good price for several years with no results (not going to pay 30 dollars+ just to get pre-emphasized mastering), so I'm wondering if there could be other early pressings of this title with same PE mastering.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Good question. I have a US DADC *D* hub stamper (no-ifpi). With no pre so I'm thinking unless there is an elusive earlier 'full DADC' stamp or Japan for US- by the time this got a manufacture here the EQ was properly added. Excellent sounding disc. If you want a sample I'll provide-

Analyzed: Toto / Hydra
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR13 -0.86 dB -18.23 dB 7:31 01-Hydra
    DR12 -1.33 dB -16.11 dB 4:45 02-St. George And The Dragon
    DR15 -0.69 dB -19.66 dB 5:16 03-99
    DR14 -1.21 dB -18.99 dB 4:46 04-Lorraine
    DR13 -0.84 dB -15.56 dB 5:03 05-All Us Boys
    DR14 -0.95 dB -18.63 dB 5:14 06-Mama
    DR13 -1.04 dB -16.50 dB 5:39 07-White Sister
    DR13 -3.02 dB -21.54 dB 3:07 08-A Secret Love

3. c-eling

There is a 1990 Japan part of the CSCS re-issue series that may contain the 35DP. However the EQ was added for CSCS ELO-Secret Messages.

4. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Quite likely so, since I have "Turn Back" DADC with *D* logo pre-ifpi, probably of same vintage as this CD of yours, and it still retains PE, so probably no US edition with PE of "Hydra". However European issue I mentioned is from 1984 (at least according to current discogs submission, haven't proof-checked), so that's only a year later than 1st Japanese edition, and considerably cheaper to get.

Possible, but most likely no. As far as I know, most of previously-PE foreign albums had been deemphasized for reissues by that year, however I have some local Japanese reissues of CD older CDs from that period also by CBS/Sony, which still contain PE masters. Someone reading this could also check and report. Also there's another Japanese reissue from 1988 of this album, from 28DP "series".

Not that PE matters for most, there are folks who listen CDs not only on standalone players from 80s, and they're probably happy owning non-PE versions of CD. I consider PE a good thing, since then I know I hear CD the same way as it was heard in '83 or so, can't really explain why but that feels satisfying, being able to experience era I never lived in at least on this level.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'll have some pressing details soon, but I have an early CD of the Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" album which definitely has pre-emphasis.

Dave and Ham Sandwich like this.
  6. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

There is something kinda hilarious about a DK album having pre-emphasis.

7. c-eling

Thought the same thing about that Mode disc...

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Gonna kill kill kill kill kill the pre-emphasis

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  9. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Re: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark- Architecture & Morality, CDID12 (as well as part of the UK Virgin box of three OMD titles)

I found that only my UK pressed (and bronzed!) PDO version of this title has PE (according to EAC).

My West German pressed blue-face does not. A later version (CDVM 2231) also does not have PE. Don't know about sub-code.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Later 90's issues the EQ had been added. Your WG most certainly has it-SUBQ

onebit likes this.
  11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

My WG blue face of A&M does have pre-emphasis. As c-eling said, most likely it was in the subcode if you didn't notice it.

onebit and c-eling like this.
  12. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Use EAC first and CUEripper then to check for PE. If only the latter detects it (flags show up in CUE sheets generated by CUEripper), then flags are in subcode only. Foolproof method.

onebit likes this.
  13. c-eling

The right drive (older) is needed for this method to work, for the old pre-beta eac and CUEripper to detect SUB Q

onebit and jfeldt like this.
  14. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

That is only needed if you want to do everything with a single program, since any EAC can detect PE in TOC. However, since that specific version (working one, at least) is nowhere to be found currently, the only way is to check with CUEripper first to know if there's PE in the first place, and if it's there, than with EAC to see if it also detects the PE. If it doesn't, it's in subcode only.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

+++++ new addition +++++

Chiemi Hori - Best ~Umareta toki kara~ (1985, Canyon D50A0059)
    both CDs have 3x CSR COMPACT DISC on hubs
    matrixes D50A-0059-1 11 +++++ and D50A-0059-2 11 +++++

both flagged in TOC

I think it would really be about time to update the list? It's been quite a while since the last time

c-eling likes this.
  16. Downsampled

I can confirm that the Go-Go’s Talk Show CSCS 6047 has pre-emphasis. In fact, it is the same mastering as the 35DP 146 release.

c-eling and Steve Martin like this.
  17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Feel free! I did it for a while, others have also. There isn't really an "owner", just whoever has the time and desire.

c-eling and Squad 701 like this.
  18. c-eling

Yeah yeah, I have Monday off so I may give it a whirl again

Squad 701 likes this.
  19. Downsampled

I see pre-emphasis occasionally noted on Discogs entries, which is nice. I'll assume it's not anywhere near reliable, but that would be another place to make note of it.

c-eling likes this.
  20. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

21. c-eling

I bumped up a few ELO-Discovery's lately and labeled them as such. If I see a title on the DR database I'll do so.

22. c-eling

No clue on that top one. All CDID12's should carry the same mastering. I wouldn't put much stock in that entry.
    The bottom is the standard CDID12, that rip does not contain the proper EQ added. When it does it will look like this-

Analyzed: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark / Architecture & Morality

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -2.79 dB -16.89 dB 3:20 01-01-The New Stone Age
    DR11 -3.90 dB -17.32 dB 3:29 02-02-She’s Leaving
    DR12 -4.20 dB -19.63 dB 3:38 03-03-Souvenir
    DR13 -4.54 dB -22.85 dB 7:45 04-04-Sealand
    DR12 -3.52 dB -19.56 dB 3:50 05-05-Joan of Arc
    DR13 -3.55 dB -19.60 dB 4:13 06-06-Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)
    DR14 -3.59 dB -24.54 dB 3:41 07-07-Architecture & Morality
    DR13 -2.61 dB -18.75 dB 3:22 08-08-Georgia
    DR10 -6.72 dB -21.29 dB 3:44 09-09-The Beginning and the End

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR12

Mbe likes this.
  23. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I am getting the same DR values on an EMI Swindon with a 0.10db shift using foobar2000, this is with with the March 2018 component pack
    although I do not think the de-emphasis component has been tweaked / altered since last release.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

It's been a couple years since i've installed a newer FB2000, but my DADC Austria matches the second link (straight rip no EQ)
    That first submission i'm not buying. Since he linked a discogs entry to it maybe he had one to sell, for all we know he ripped a 9 track Philharmonic Orchestra cd :laugh:

Mbe likes this.
  25. c-eling

@Mbe
    A WG Silver #01 popped up for cheap so I grabbed it. I love this title and i've been known to have multiple's of favorites :laugh: I'll let you know next week sometime if there's any differences.

Mbe likes this.