Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Good info thanks. So not even if the tag is located in the table of contents (via analog out) ?
    Curious if the newer Onkyo 7030's with the changed DAC even will. The Wolfson would- TOC and SUB

2. F.Natural

F.Natural Well-Known Member

Yup, not even....

c-eling likes this.
  3. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

and another new addition...

Stardust Revue - Thank You (1985.04.25, 32XL-63)
    matrix 32XL-63 11A1, CSR stamped in hub
    probably first pressing of this issue

flagged in TOC

Dave and c-eling like this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I think Black Sabbath's self-titled debut may have pre-emphasis on the stock Warner CD as well. That would be strange because as far as I can tell, the WB CD pressings on albums 2-6 don't have it, but I'm making my own best of compilation from these discs and the tracks from the first album sound oddly bright. Anyone know?

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just as a test, I applied 'de-emphasis' to "The Wizard" via SoX and compared the result to the old CD for We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll and the de-emphasized track I made actually matches the tonality of the same track on We Sold Our Soul - it's a spot-on match. Comparing both tracks to the original file with no 'de-emphasis,' the original sounds very thin and shrill. I'm very certain the original WB CD of Black Sabbath is supposed to be flagged for PE.

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Interesting. I haven't owned the original WB CDs for a while for the first 4 albums, but a lot of people feel all of them are too bright. I wonder if they all should have the PE flag ...

C6H12O6 likes this.
  7. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Hi c-eling
    Just wondered if you have received a more detailed response from Marantz regarding pre-emphasis?
    I noticed in another thread you mention TOC only, so wondered if you have more specifics for future reference.

If I did have a specific player in mind I would ask for the details relating to playback from the manufacturer,
    though if support is being dropped then it may be good idea to have something boxed away in storage sooner rather than later.

8. c-eling

After about a month they finally replied- just said table of contents. They didn't specify models.

Mbe likes this.
  9. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Thanks, and it does seem to somewhat contradict the previous reply or not;
    “We (still) support correct playback of CD, which have been recorded with pre-emphasis”
    Then requiring a whole month before you receive a reply must have involved many hours, days and weeks of deliberations. :shrug:

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

:laugh:, no kidding
    Think i'm forever doomed finding a new SACD/CD player that can touch the Sub Tag.
    As long as my old Onkyo SP800 holds out I think i'll be fine.

Mbe likes this.
  11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Probably hours, days and weeks of searching through the company to see if anyone knew what pre-emphasis was.

Dave, Mbe and kevin5brown like this.
  12. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Not in my experience... :)

Dave, Mbe and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

But did it carry on with the newer SACD models?

14. c-eling

New Submission-
    Rainhard Fendrich-Weus'd A Herz Hast, 1986 WG Polygram Silver #01 Flag=TOC

Mbe likes this.
  15. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

Jethro Tull -- Aqualung [CCD 1044; Chrysalis grey face; West Germany, 1984; pre-emphasis]

notes: CCD 1044 2891438 01 AO; no PolyGram credit; Printed in West Germany; pre-emphasis flags in subcode, not TOC; no barcode; smooth sided jewel case

Code:
     01   98.4 [666777E8] [86A8E62B]         
     02   45.7 [629EAB2E] [F2C5FEC3]         
     03   38.7 [E175BC24] [3306CB5F]         
     04   33.3 [30E3E5A1] [E36412C6]         
     05   32.9 [1BA40A7F] [89BF78E2]         
     06   49.9 [36503394] [1543731A]         
     07   48.8 [BA9C11D6] [3D0C6A22]         
     08   59.9 [22402EBD] [E84B1B7E]         
     09   17.7 [3646DC93] [13DD8B13]         
     10   54.9 [37C4EAA6] [11AC2DD8]         
     11   47.2 [3F15A8C2] [8358ACF7]   
    Code:
    DR18      -0.14 dB   -24.43 dB      6:34 01-Aqualung
    DR15      -6.79 dB   -25.18 dB      4:10 02-Cross-Eyed Mary
    DR16      -8.22 dB   -30.63 dB      1:23 03-Cheap Day Return
    DR14      -9.54 dB   -27.03 dB      3:54 04-Mother Goose
    DR15      -9.65 dB   -28.82 dB      1:56 05-Wond'ring Aloud
    DR15      -6.03 dB   -23.92 dB      3:17 06-Up To Me
    DR17      -6.23 dB   -27.61 dB      7:12 07-My God
    DR15      -4.44 dB   -22.51 dB      3:18 08-Hymn 43
    DR14     -15.01 dB   -34.72 dB      1:13 09-Slipstream
    DR16      -5.20 dB   -27.31 dB      4:26 10-Locomotive Breath
    DR14      -6.52 dB   -25.27 dB      6:04 11-Wind-Up
    AJ

Yost, c-eling, jfeldt and 1 other person like this.
  16. Badunn

Badunn Active Member

Fascinating thread - and reinvogated CDs I’ve ripped that I’ve always felt were harsh / bright sounding that are on your list.

Where I have applied waveemph IMHO it has transformed them. DR ratings have generally gone down a point, some have increased as well. And looking at the analyser in JRiver confirms the frequency range is more of the expected norm. But, most importantly, the listenability factor has come back.

I have 2 CDs not on your list that I believe the PE flag is missing (or present in TOC only)

Chris de Burgh - Man on the Line
    Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap

I will in a subsequent post supply the matrix info

Even if these are not PE discs (hard to believe as they are both very bright recordings, especially ‘Luxury Gap’) then waveemph has kicked a new lease of life into them. And thus any debate whether waveemph (or likewise) has been ‘incorrectly’ applied I think just doesn’t stand up.

My headphone listening setup btw is Beyer Dynamic DT150 fed by Chord Mojo DAC. Files are either FLAC or WAV via JRiver MC 23.

17. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

another Japanese entry:

Kumiko Yamashita - Ame no hi wa uchi ni ite (1981)
    2nd issue on CD - Columbia CA-3580 (1989 July)
    flagged in subcode only
    matrix C31-7513 2B3 87

matrix above is used from 1st issue, so logically 1st issue will have same kind of PE too
    1st: Columbia 33C31-7513 (1985 June)

18. Badunn

Badunn Active Member

Per my first post

Chris de Burgh - Man on the Line
    CDA65002 (AM+ series) Matrix 395 002-2 02 Made in W Germany by Polygram 1984

Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap
    Virgin CDV2253 Matrix 28934 011 02 Made in W Germany 1983

19. c-eling

If you can verify those via software i'll add them to the list when I update :)

20. Badunn

Badunn Active Member

Neither EAC or CUE Ripper identifies them as PE :-(

The Heaven 17 album is a transformation with Wavemph added - and although was remastered recently (with distinctly diminished dynamic range) my now ‘faux DE’d’ original retains dynamics and gains an acceptably flat frequency range.

I guess it’s not always about the ‘list’ (which is an absolute fabulous piece of work) but being able to re-evaluate what you have, and have options to improve. Clearly there are CDs where the PE flags are just plain missing, and this thread, as it has done for me, prompts you to potentially fix the sonic faux pas.

So a big thank you from me!

21. c-eling

A huge group effort, that's taken quite a few years :laugh:
    Have you had success with identifying a tag located in the SUBQ channel before with your rom drive?

Badunn likes this.
  22. Badunn

Badunn Active Member

Not sure I know how to do that. It’s taken Herculean strength to get this far.
    Did try software called cdda2wav but can’t do command line stuff.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

23. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

You can use both EAC and CueRipper, as EAC normally only detects flags in TOC, and CUERipper can do both, so you can check suspect CDs with CUERipper first, then with EAC to compare. However, you need to know whether your hardware is capable in the first place. Try check on some of CDs already in the list, whether your CD drive detects subcode flags or not.

Badunn likes this.
  24. Badunn

Badunn Active Member

I confirmed with CueRipper the Lionel Richie S/T had the pre flag - which didn’t show up in EAC.
    The Heaven 17 and Chris de Burgh CDs did not flag PRE with CueRipper. This could be correct for the CdB CD (could just be bright sounding - it is an early DDD recording), but the H17 CD is way to bright to be correct to be a non PE disc, and I mean, it is shrill sounding.

c-eling likes this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Just curious... has it been confirmed whether the 1990 Japanese CSCS 6006 pressing of Discovery has pre-emphasis?

c-eling likes this.