Preacher - Season 2 Discussion & Discussions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Awesome series for sick minded people like myself! I never stop laughing at the craziness :)

2. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Is this the first time that they've had that word that begins with an F and ends with Ing on an AMC show?

For the first time I didn't mind the Hitler flashback (in a show that's aweful with flashbacks - but that's really my only gripe about the show). Only, the timid Hitler with the luger - though fine to show why that scene was his own private Hell - wasn't historically afraid of weapons. After all, he was awarded the Iron Cross for bravery in the Great War.

(NOTE: This is in no way an approval of Adolf Hitler, as I am a Jew first and foremost.)

(NOTE: As a total aside, I remarked to my wife that I think the last time the historical Hitler took another person's life, himself, was in combat, while, during his rise to power, until his death, he had other people do the dirty work for him.)

Anyway, I thought this was another great episode. I laughed at how Tulip packaged the guns for the post office, how Cassidey bought his boy a puppy, and how The Grail agent convinced the guy at the scrap yard to melt the revolvers.

By the way, what was up with the receptionist outside of Herr Starr's office not obeying The Voice the first time? Didn't it take Jesse like three attempts for the guy to "listen?"

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

....or, is Genesis losing it's 'power'?

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Might be like Spiderman's powers, linked to the holders self-confidence or faith.

Jessie has had a few knocks recently. The loudness/strength of the voice has got a little quieter over the past couple of episodes?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

-"D'ya mean Jesus jesus, or just some random Latino fella!?"- this line got a snort from me! And it preceeded Cassidy's most dramatic scene in the entire series featuring some stellar acting from Joseph Gilgun. And yet, how smart was this scene played that while Cassidy was screaming some serious truths into Jesse's face, Jesse didn't hear him due to his revelation about dog's whereabouts. It occurs to me, that Cassidy's 'son', now that he's healthy and grinning all the time, actually looks like an older version of Cassidy, I didn't see any resemblance before. I'm gonna voice an opinion that kinda 'hurts'(;)). Now, I love me some Tulip, Ruth Negga is a star in the making BUT....this season she's become somewhat of a stick in the mud. She hate's 'Nawlins and is being haunted by the Saint but besides doing some fancy driving she's becoming a liability. Such is the chemistry between the 3 of them that I could never imagine the show without her. Truth is, Tulip's an outlaw that's not terribly bright, it's just that Negga is so adorable she almost distracts us from the truth. Man, the writing is simply sterling on this show, from vicious comedy to raising some pretty serious cosmic statements/questions on the concept of God. Love me some Preacher!

agentalbert and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was odd. At first I thought maybe they had something in their ears suppressing volume as a safety measure, like the swat team.

That was funny. Cassidy always has some good retorts. I liked when Jesse asked him if he knew about the secret society, and an unfazed Cassidy responds, "yeah, which one?" and then goes on to list a few. I think there was a lizard men secret society in there.

And I'm still laughing about the caveman in hell being tortured by having his face taped to a TV image of fire. Ha!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. You appea to be right.

8. EVOLVIST

You know, I think you are on to something. It would be awfully convenient if Jesse could just go about using The Voice willy nilly.

I'm reminded that Genesis chose Jesse out of several unworthy vessels that it had rejected. Thus, Genesis must have freewill

If Genesis has freewill then perhaps it is telling Jesse to simmer down. If Jesse is using The Voice for something that Genesis doesn't like, I see that as a possibility.

9. EVOLVIST

Man, you know...wow...I didn't like this episode at all. I had previously complained that the only thing that Preacher doesn't do well is flashbacks; they just make them drag on and on. Now, we have an episode that was about 50% flashbacks, and there was nothing redeeming about them.

I mean, I know why they showed these scenes; it served the story; still, this stuff needed an editor.

Okay, enough bellyaching. I love the show. There were funny bits. There was a great fight scene. I'm not sure, however, how to take this great divergence from the comic. The plot, itself, doesn't lack anything, but Jesse playing god? It doesn't seem like a ruse. We shall see.

vince likes this.
  10. agentalbert

Yeah, seemed like a boring episode. I guess that's why I dozed off in the middle and woke up at 1;00 am wondering where I was. While the scenes in Hell have been fine with me, I don't need any more backstory flashbacks on the Saint Of Killers. Not interesting in the least. Wish they'd cut that out. The last thing I remember was him on a picnic, and I think that's where I went catatonic.

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I have found myself nodding off quite a lot through this season. It's just such an uneven show. It's like the writers have no clue about pacing or how to develop a story to build the anticipation or drama.

Really frustrating as it veers from action/entertaining/funny to just...get a move on....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I bet this season could be re-edited down by at least three episodes of running time by the end. Then you'd have a far better show.

12. vince

Plus....
    I REALLY expected more 'sass-back' from, well....ALL of them!
    Even Hitler!

13. EVOLVIST

The problem with the flashbacks is the use of the same footage, over and over again, in the same manner, with the wacky film rewind thing they have going on. Yet, it's not that they would be so bad, if only they didn't use the same thing so much. Like when they first started with the Eugene and Tracy scenes, I don't think we needed to see it seven times to get the idea of what happened.

A good use of flashbacks was two episodes ago, when they briefly showed Jesse's dad being killed, without showing the whole scene (which they were probably tempted to do). Then they showed Jesse as a kid, in the underwater box. Okay that was cool. It wasn't too long. It was done well. But THEN! - to make up for it, they played way too many of Jesse's prayers on the reel-to-reel. Okay, I get it! Jesse prayed all of his life!

Oh, and while I'm bagging on the show (I don't know if there is a bigger fan of the show than me)...regardless...lame, lame, lame the way that the agents of Hell "rescued" Jesse. The whole Saint of Killers thing this episode was so muddled. The show runners just took some of his balls away.

I gripe so heavily because for the most part the show is aces! I just don't know how they can go from stellar to *ker-plunk* so quickly.

I would still highly recommend the show to anybody, especially those who are easily offended (only not on this forum), yet when they do something awful, it's really awful.

I'm pretty sure we'll have a good season finale, though.

14. vince

Not to 'muddy' the plot...
    but...just for the sake of 'conflict', shouldn't SOME 'higher-ups' from that Japanese "SOUL GOOD GO-GO" (or whatever) place be wondering where their TRUCK IS????

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As much as I dig the show, I also think the writing and pacing has been erratic. The season started off strong but once The Saint got dropped into the lake it ran outta steam. A huge disappointment for me has been the total lack of involvement of the city of New Orleans, I thought the combo of Nawlins & Preacher would be a natural but....except for the outstanding opening credits montage, this season could've taken place in Hoboken!

16. vince

So, we're all agreed...
    This isn't as good as it COULD be!

daglesj and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. EVOLVIST

Yeah, certainly!

As thankful that I am that Seth Rogen has brought Preacher to television, at times like this I'm reminded that Rogen is still a man-child.

Yeah, Seth is funny. I like him. But really (and I can't complain too much), if I had to assign a comedian to bring Preacher to life, it would have been more George Carlin instead of Rogen. Well, George is dead, but you get the idea.

All of that to say, I think that some of Rogen's attention to dramatic detail slips (on a banana peel)...and falls at times. Regardless, it's still a great show! I would just rather feel that I walked away having watched 13 good episodes, instead of 11 good ones, which looks like it will happen, assuming the finale is up to snuff.

In all fairness to Rogen and crew, though; I think that their skillset is much, much better suited to the upcoming The Boys, where it's all about being over-the-top at all times. More of a straight up comedy.

18. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I have really liked season 2 -- enjoyed season 1, but I've found this storyline far more interesting.

As above, the Saint of Killers flashbacks I sometimes found a bit drawn out with the cutbacks and repeats....until realizing the flashbacks were his viewpoint from Hell. Interesting way to reveal that. Herr Starr has been great, as well as Cassidy's introduction to him.

Looking forward to the finale and on to season 3.

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

To be honest a lot of the outdoor scenes early on in season 2 look like they were shot in the UK, just flat farmland. Not very exciting.

20. vince

so........, I guess this'll be back..... right?

21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

God only knows!

Sorry, could't resist;)

I think it's a safe bet that it'll return.

22. EVOLVIST

I thought it was pretty good. Slow, but good. In the end there was a payoff.

It makes me wonder why Jesse was so against Cassidy turning Tulip into a vampire. Surely Jesse realizes by now that we are all god's creatures, including vampires, since they evidently exists. So, he's going to have what's-her-face resurrect Tulip like a chicken?

23. agentalbert

You mean lines like "Hitler! You saved me!" don't make everyone laugh?

Joey The Lemur and vince like this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So Hitler totally played A-face, using him to get out of Hell. Here's hopin' that that's the last time we see old Adolph as the entire storyline felt like a failed experiment, boring and a time-waster.

25. agentalbert

Not sure its a time waster to have Hitler lose in the modern world. That presents some opportunities. I liked what they did with him. But I'll be glad to not to see any more scenes of that group in hell for awhile.

kevywevy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.