Predator reboot in the works further proof that Hollywood is desperate...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks to be their going for the kids /merchandise route even though it's supposed to be a (18).

melstapler likes this.
  2. alexpop

Another blockbuster that is delayed six months is The Meg, giant shark action film staring Jason Statham. Megaton prehistoric shark, Meg for short. Really should have a title change. Thing looks huge. Peoploid = shark sandwich. :p

melstapler likes this.
  3. I was going into this with somewhat high expectations due to the involvement of Shane Black (and Fred Dekker, for that matter), but it seems even he's not immune to studio interference - reshoots with the possibility of a cameo from that guy screams desperation from suits who presumably saw an early cut and thought "it needs more Arnie" was the perfect solution, even though Predator has long since been established as a series without him. At this stage, would it be realistic to assume his character would be able to do anything except perhaps advise the new soon-to-be victims on how to best deal with one of the titular creatures? More than anything, my worry is that the release date slipping by even just a few weeks turns this potential summer action blockbuster into a film clearly in need of confidence from its creators, never mind the general public it's about to be unleashed upon! Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong, though the initial signs aren't good...

alexpop and melstapler like this.
  4. alexpop

Screams failure at this stage. Studio wants to put it out end of the year and hope to recoup with DVD sales Xmas market methinks. Thought it was a 18 certificate, then read 12A. Now would have been a better time to put it out.
    I thought this would have been better than Predators.

5. I wasn't aware the rating had been dropped so dramatically... The more I learn about this project, the more I dream of what it could have been. I'd honestly expected better from Shane Black, but I'll try and remain optimistic. Saying that, I just can't see how a 12A take on Predator will be able to deliver what older fans of the series are presumably hoping for.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

There's a kid in the film, perhaps some compromise. Literally in the black/dark with lack of any fresh information/ just speculation and another six months to go if the film ever sees the light of day.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

A kid? Please....

8. alexpop

9. I doubt they'd be able to get away with killing the kid in a 12A movie, so maybe Shane's going to lean on his past tropes and subvert the expectations of Predator fans by setting this film at Christmas, presumably with "Discount Macaulay Culkin" being the one who defeats a bunch of aliens over a bunch of testosterone-fuelled commandos armed to the teeth using cunning traps, Home Alone style? Now there's a risk I'd love to see this once relatively serious franchise take, plus it would justify the move to a release later in the year...

10. alexpop

Kill the kid? More likely the kid killing a Predator. :D I kid you not.

ShardEnder likes this.
  11. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Everything about this just screams awful. It's like the Return of the Jedi of the Predator series. There are probably Ewoks running around too.

The first one is just such a great action movie. Killer effects. Suspenseful. Almost a horror movie in part. Schwarzenegger with a great supporting cast. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of the original on blu-ray. I will almost certainly be skipping this.

serj and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Predator II more urban, bloody.
    Better acting chops, but no choppa.:D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    LeBon Bush likes this.
  13. alexpop

Arnold Schwarzenegger stable after heart surgery.
    Get well soon Dutch!!!!!!!!

14. alexpop

Test audiences were confused with humor at early screening, so reshoots were done to make it more serous.

The Predator trailer: mid April, apparently.

15. alexpop

Jason Statham is on to a winner with THE MEG
    the trailer looks to be a summer hit smash!!!!!!

16. alexpop

The Predator trailer is being shown at Cinemacon. April 23-26 Caesars Palace..Right about NOW!!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Loved the first one with Arnie, this.....let me guess the disgruntled science teacher will save the day.

Storyline
    From the outer reaches of space to the small-town streets of suburbia, the hunt comes home. Now, the universe's most lethal hunters are stronger, smarter and deadlier than ever before, having genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other species. When a young boy accidentally triggers their return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race. Written by Twentieth Century Fox

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's beyond lame. Pass!

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

If that's the story line it doesn't make any sense, but then again neither did AvP - even though there's potential in that kind of story (intergalactic hunters get caught up with space parasites). The Predators are hunters, and want big game right? Shouldn't they target well armed and trained soldiers since they've now been exposed to that in the first movie? Going to suburbia, unless it's like an armed stronghold doesn't wash.

20. alexpop

Genre wise, this is not favorite forum fodder.

21. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

This is DOA. It looks like X-Men Origins Wolverine part II

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't pay much attention to films that aren't my cup of tea, like the Predator series, although I do like Shane Black. He write beautiful scripts to read. Anyway, today I went to Carl's Junior for burger and I reached down to pick up my Diet Coke and got angry. I looked at the cup and my mind was saying: "What the hell? How old is this cup they gave me!"

[​IMG]

Oh, there's a "Predator" reboot. Whoops. Senior moment.

seed_drill and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

No free preview?

24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

From the trailer I've seen, it's "meh" at best. So it's a pass for me.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did fast food places even offer plastic "branded" cups in 1987?

Oldest I can recall: McDonald's had cups for the "Dream Team" in 1992...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.