Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That is a lot of books and I'm sure the studio heads thought, "If we could get a fraction of those buyers into the cinema...."

But you're not comparing like for like. The audience for the Hunter Games is a movie going audience. It also managed to cross into other movie goer segments. The audience for 50 Shades isn't really a movie going audience. Middle aged women do not normally make hits.

If the marketing team can convince those middle aged women to go to the cinema to watch this movie it could do well financially.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think there's a big difference between a salacious book and the manifestation of that content in visual (film) form. As a (valid) generalization, women tend to be less visually oriented to sex (compared with men) and more emotionally connected to the material which is why a book is preferable. You can imagine details in your mind and make connections which may or may not be hinted in the book - it's a personal experience. A film will not provide that, which is why I think the target demographic will not respond that well to the movie, especially if it takes liberties to make it more 'sexy' to attract a wider demographic.

This is why quoting book sales as a barometer for box-office isn't a slam-dunk. The Hunger Games did well because young adult drama is currently in vogue, the movies weren't bad at all (with the exception of the third one perhaps), the story had appeal for both sexes and...Jennifer Lawrence.

Vidiot and mikeyt like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When I heard about the new Mad Max, my first thought was "Must you bastards ruin every movie memory I have?" :)

But I saw the trailer and thought it looked pretty good.

Karnak likes this.
  4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I've made my prediction and explained why. Time will tell....

5. Anything that isn't a superhero movie.

6. Don't forget hipster irony.

7. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The 2014 thread got closed, so I figured I'd post this here...

Adaptations of Young Adult novels has turned into a cash cow for studios. Some of the 2014 movies:

Hunger Games: Mockingjay - $647M (budget $125M)
    The Fault in Our Stars - $304M (budget $12M)
    Divergent - $289M (budget $85M)
    The Maze Runner - $340M (budget $34M)

Pete Puma and benjaminhuf like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd only rate The Hunger Games out of that lot, though probably not Mockingjay as a standalone movie.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

A new trend. Get ready for more! :)

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think Harry Potter started that trend off 15 years ago, followed by Twilight. That's a huge category these days. But not all novel series translate well to film. The Anne Rice Vampire Lestat films haven't always turned out very well...

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Some big movies coming out in 2015. My bold predictions...

Megahits:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (duh)
    Jurassic World
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 2
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    Spectre

Hits:

The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
    Mission Impossible 5
    Divergent: Insurgent
    Furious 7
    Terminator: Genisys
    Taken 3

Disappointments:

Mortdecai
    Blackhat
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Ted 2
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    Ant Man
    Entourage
    The Fantastic Four
    Paul Blart 2
    Tomorrowland
    The Peanuts Movie

Flops:
    Jupiter Ascending
    Poltergeist
    Magic Mike XXL
    Pan

Deuce66 likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of your rankings except for Jurassic in the megahit category, I think it will do well initially and do a quick fade out. The other 4 are locks to go over $750M worldwide, two are guaranteed to go well over $1B or more if they deliver a high quality movie (Avengers/SW).

13. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Unbroken is an unexpected hit, grossing over $70 million in just a week. Just saw it myself, and I think it was one of the best films of the year. Outstanding cinematography, as you would expect, from Roger Deakins, who previously did Skyfall, A Beautiful Mind, Shawshank, and dozens of others. Angelina Jolie, to my great surprise, has suddenly emerged as a possibly major director. Can she be more than a one hit wonder? We'll see.

14. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Hope Mad Max is as good as the past Max films.

musicalbeds likes this.
  15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This number is astonishing given the very mixed reviews.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

You forgot "Pixels" the Adam Sandler movie where pacman attack all of us.:rolleyes:

17. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yes—the audiences are wisely ignoring the critics when it comes to Unbroken. My 1 pm show today was about 3/4 full.

18. Vidiot

I'm rooting for Tomorrowland to do well, because I'm a big Brad Bird fan, but I agree it'll be a tough sell. I think Paul Blart 2 will be an outright bomb. I also think Charlie Hunnam is desperately hoping 50 Shades will flop, because he walked out of the lead role. I'd like to see Ant Man do well, but if it were to flop, it'd be the first Marvel-produced superhero film to bomb. My guess is that it'll do OK, but not great... but that's what I said about Guardians of the Galaxy! :eek:

Pan looks like a very interesting picture, but I agree: there's been far too many versions of Peter Pan out there, and I'm not sure we need one more, especially one this expensive and complex. I didn't think the first Magic Mike would do well, but it only cost about $7M and wound up making $167M, making it a hugely profitable film. You figure even if it "only" makes half that, if they could shoot it for $10M and make $80M, even that's a big profit.

19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The Anne Rice novels aren't "YA".

Olompali likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Chappie

Voodoo Child and mikeyt like this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

This looks okay, but the more I thought about it, the more it just looks like a more serious, modern take on Short Circuit.

norman_frappe likes this.
  22. Vidiot

I think Johnny Depp is gonna be five in a row with this one, which looks just horrible...

I mean, is there any possible way this can be good? Or that it can make money?

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It might be decent - I hold out some hope.

I do find it hard to imagine it'll sell tickets. I don't think it's a coincidence the studio is dumping it mid-January - that's not a sign of optimisim.

It looks like a Pink Panther/Clouseau "homage" to me...

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Kind of ridiculous, because I can only watch it without sound right now, but my first reaction is that it looks like a Wes Anderson ripoff.

25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think it looks like a nice change of pace from the usual Hollywood fare, an old-school farce. Probably won't make a dime, but could be quite enjoyable for those of us that don't require an explosion every 5 seconds to keep from getting bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.