Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Not sure if all of these will be hits relative to production costs, but these are the 2016 movies I'm looking forward to at this point....

Jan. 29th, Jane's Got a Gun, Western starring Natalie Portman
    Jan. 29th, The Finest Hours, big budget World War II survival drama based on a real story
    March 4th, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, War comedy starring Tina Fey and Martin Freeman
    May 13th, Snowden, Oliver Stone directs
    May 27th, Alice Through the Looking Glass, I might be the only person here who still like Depp?
    May 30th. USS Indianapolis, Another WW2 disaster drama
    June 17th, Finding Dory, Pixar
    July 1, The BFG, Spielberg's next film
    July 15, Ghostbusters, written and directed by Paul Feig
    July 22, Star Trek Beyond, didn't like the trailer, but....
    Aug. 12, Ben-Hur, epic remake
    Sept. 23, The Magnificent Seven, another remake
    Sept. 30th, Deepwater Horizon, might work
    Nov. 4th, Doctor Strange, don't usually bother with superhero movies, but for Cumberbatch....
    Nov. 25th, The Founder, Michael Keaton stars as Ray Kroc, founder of McDonalds
    Dec. 16th, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, 32 year old Brit Felicity Jones does a prequel of 19-year old Carrie Fisher's role?
    Dec. 21, Passengers, Jennifer Lawrence in sci fi epic

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You thought "Ant-Man" was bland? I really liked it - I thought it was one of the better Marvel flicks... :shrug:

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Update...it's $529M worldwide. US opening isn't $238M and change but a whopping $247,966,675 :eek:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and mikeyt like this.
  4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah, but that pay for advertising they forced everywhere?
    We will see..

5. Oatsdad

Wait - are you trying to opine that "Force Awakens" won't make a profit? When it made more than half a billion dollars in a weekend???

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And think of the merchandising and licensing deals.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Profit yes but not as high as they wanted .. They wanted higher profit than
    There Marvel movies.. I say the almost sank almost half billion into all there marketing
    Campagins.. radio, tv.. I surprised they didn't have a Drones or Starwars Blimp:rolleyes::p
    fly over every city with star wars lighted banner..
    And movie quotes from the first movies blaring from huge speakers
    attached to underneath the blimp..
    I was thinking Bladerunner about the star wars blimp...:winkgrin:

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It's going to make a gigantic profit. $250 million for a December opening is unprecedented -- even with inflation taken into account. The only thing that remains in question is whether it will beat Avatar on the all-time domestic chart. It'll be a challenge, but even falling short of that by $100 million (which I now doubt it will do, since the reception has been so positive) they will have incredible profits on their hands.

And the merchandising is another story, bringing in what will probably amount to billions of dollars.

9. benjaminhuf

Well, if you add the purchase price of Lucasfilm to the cost of the Force Awakens, then we're looking at a movie that cost well over $4 billion. It'll probably take 3 new Star Wars movies to make back that kind of money....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

By the time they are done producing Star Wars product the $4 billion will seem like a steal…..chump change really in the long term big picture.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

As of Dec 21 - SW stands at $288,076,417 after setting a Monday record of $40.1 million. After its first two weeks Avatar was at $283,624,210 and finished its 34 week!!! run at $760,507,625. Star Wars might be at $500 million by the end of this weekend and if that's the case Avatar is going down hard.

12. Oatsdad

Shouldn't the movie's theatrical run end before you declare what a bomb it was? :rolleyes:

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I saw it but was prepared for the worst... and I was pleasantly surprised that it was as good as it was. It was what I'd call an "OK" film -- not awful, not great, but an acceptable 2-hour adventure. Michael Douglas just about made the movie to me, because he was intense enough that he kind of raised the script a couple of notches. I was very surprised when the movie made over $500,000,000 worldwide.

Don't forget the toys and the theme park rides. I think Disney will get five times their money back on the purchase of Lucasfilm... and that's just for the Star Wars stuff.

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Tarzan has a weird, artificial, "plastic" kind of look that I really dislike:

I'm skeptical about Jungle Book being a hit, either, but that's me.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Tarzan looks pretty terrible, it's like he's being turned into another superhero - yawn. More than anything, this film looks like a Planet Of The Apes offshoot!

17. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I've been playing Warcraft games since the mid 90's. Blizzards cinematics have always been excellent. The movie however doesn't look good from the trailer, I'll still watch it though.

18. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

My prediction, this will be HUGE hit for Disney in March ...

With rare exception (ergo The Good Dinosaur) I prefer PIXAR over Disney's animated films.
    That said, in the theater prior to the new Star Wars flick the packed audience (mostly adults) laughed out loud when this trailer was shown.

My gut feeling is that this will bring in crowds.

Given the cleverness of this trailer, it probably should be a PIXAR release (proof to me that Disney has consumed most of the relevant talent from Pixar).

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Well it might squeak by. There's no accounting for studio accounting

MikaelaArsenault and Maggie like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Disney has owned (consumed) Pixar for quite some time now (since 2006).

21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

$500 million in two weeks would be incredible. Not that it's implausible at this point, but that kind of take would be so far beyond what I could have predicted that it really shows me to be more out of touch than I thought.

22. benjaminhuf

My guess is that The Force Awakens will not pass Avatar in world-wide box office. It's very difficult to get to 2.8 billion. And, adjusting for inflation since 2009 that would be more than $3B today.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Apparently Pete's Dragon won't even be a musical (?!).

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Three, in fact!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book#Adaptations

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I wish that they would drop "A Star Wars Story" off of the title of Rogue One. It sounds so cheesy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.