Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets was the worst movie of the year. Can't believe it didn't make the list.

Though, Transformers: The Last Knight does deserve to be on the list as I thought that was a close second.

I don't agree that Russell Crowe should be on the list for supporting actors. I thought he was actually good and was the best part about The Mummy. I think he's on there by association with the panning of the movie and with Tom Cruise.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The director of The Mummy was interviewed about it, and in a moment of candor he complained that the original script was decent, but then Tom Cruise and his people got hold of it and changed it to make it more of a "Tom Cruise picture" and less of a "horror picture."

sunspot42 and Old Rusty like this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I enjoyed that one, with reservations. I think the world they created was amazing and I love the first 20 minutes, and the effects are great, it's just the two leads are terrible. If they had cast two other people I really think it would be regarded as a pretty good film, but the leads they had didn't work at all.

Plan9 likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I saw "mother!" I thought it was about the Burdens of Fame with a splash of Biblical material. Now I think it's about Biblical material with a splash of the Burdens of Fame.

Either way, at least the movie prompted me to think! :)

5. Oatsdad

Good question! I hated "Black Swan" so I can't answer! :)

As noted, I didn't love "mother!" - I'm really pretty luke-warm about it overall - but I thought it was creative and thought-provoking.

"Black Swan" just made me laugh at its pretentiousness and roll my eyes a lot! :D

wayneklein and Encuentro like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I liked Black Swan but detested Mother!. I saw the Biblical references and whatever, but for me it's just an unbelievably self-indulgent movie with the profundity of a psychology undergraduate's paper. However it is a very divisive movie you may find every sort of opinion on it. Black Swan at least was straightforward and entertaining to me, Mother! was not. (On the other hand the 7.1 sound mix for Mother! was first-class, quite an achievement, if you are interested in that.)

Deesky likes this.
  7. Saw this on the plane back from New Jersey. Made me wish I could get off the plane. Worst movie of the year. When will people realize giving Emmerick money is the same as burning it.

8. I hated both of them. Talented film director who really needs to work with a real writer.

9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It wasn't - this film was a victim of some strange groupthink - because I'm at a loss as to why it was so hated. I thought it was excellent.

10. Oatsdad

"Sububicon" was a mess. It tried to tell three separate stories - IIRC - and did none of them justice.

It's like they took 3 scripts for 3 different movies, chopped 'em up, glued 'em together and made a movie out of it! :D

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Can’t agree - it all made sense to me.

12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The things that transpired weren’t nonsensical but the movie was still a mess. I’m with @Oatsdad on this one.

Oatsdad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.