Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen was big here. Lots of tiyeung. We sold a ton of their records in the record stores I worked at throughout the 70s

They got good radio play.

budwhite and sunspot42 like this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I don't see Mary Poppins doing well too sugary sweet..
    for todays movie goer.
    Never cared for first one.. Nanny Mcphee was funner .

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Not as much tiyeung here in Canada after 1980 though.

4. It’s will be a really big hit imho

Taxman, Michael and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, Queen were huge here. In the mid-'70s "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Killer Queen" were big, then "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" got loads of play on rock radio.

Right as I hit junior high they became legit pop huge with "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

And then they kind of fell off the face of the earth.

budwhite and bpmd1962 like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the update

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Whatever you predict the opposite happens so I guess Mary Poppins will be a huge hit now.

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Too early now, but let's check the 2018 ww statistics in 10 weeks, and "Mary Poppins returns" will be in the top 5.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Actually, since Mirrorblade.1 predicts everything will bomb and feels every movies is awful, he/she/it gets it right occasionally - if you think everything sucks and will flop, you have to get it correct sometimes!

I'm not sure Mirrorblade has ever posted anything positive on these boards...

kevywevy, BadJack and Jim B. like this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Indeed. A lot of myths that repeatedly get stated as fact, but still not factual.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I suppose, a stopped clock is right twice a day!

sunspot42 and Oatsdad like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

+1

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But is it really? How do you know at which point the clock is showing the 'right' time? Since you cannot know that, saying that the clock is right twice a day is meaningless. :) (sorry, pet peeve).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Excellent point.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m sure It will make money because parents will dutifully drag their kids to it the same way they dragged kids to the Ice Capades. Even though some parents, like myself and another poster, didn’t really even like the original They’ll still probably plop down for tickets.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I saw it at the movies and loved it...it was big when it first hit the theaters...still holds my interest.

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not meaningless. Twice during the day, the clock's hands show the time that it actually is. Whether anyone is there to see it. There's no subjectivity about what position the hands are stopped at. If the clock says it's 2:15, at 2:15 am and pm every day the clock is "right," and the rest of the time it's "wrong."

19. Yeah, I don’t really understand why some find this complicated.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not "the right time" in some abstract sense, it's just "the right time" in terms of what time the clock says it is.

I guess he means that it isn't an exact metaphor for people accidentally being right sometimes.. since they are right about some external thing that doesn't change, unlike time?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Only, as Jennifer Warnes would say: when it is "the right time of the night" :D

And a pet peeve of mine is when people can't understand synonyms. An example being right and correct.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  22. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Another mis-prediction for me. My daughter kept bugging me to see it, so early on I asked the theater manager if he thought it would last til Thanksgiving. He said he was going week by week but he was pretty sure he was going to keep it because it was doing "surprisingly well." (Of course, it's still there.)

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And for those following this thread, here is The Wrap's list of the 12 worst films of 2018, several of which were also huge bombs:

10. (tie) “Peppermint”/“Proud Mary” /“Red Sparrow”
    9. “Christopher Robin”
    8. “Fifty Shades Freed”
    7. “Suspiria”
    6. “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”
    5. “Ready Player One”
    4. “Life Itself”
    3. “Gotti”
    2. “The Happytime Murders”
    1. “The Hurricane Heist”

There's some interesting comments to go along with this list at the link...

12 Worst Movies of 2018, From 'Happytime Murders' to 'Ready Player One' (Photos)

JackBnimble likes this.
  24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is a bomb prediction: Randy Couture starring in Antidote: Antidote - Movie Trailers - iTunes

I am tired of the "crossover" phenomenon. First WWE's Dwayne Johnson, and now UFC's Randy Couture. Also the somewhat cameo role of Dave Bautista in Blade Runner 2049. A fighter doth not maketh a good actor (anonymously attributed to Shakespeare). Okay?

Edit: same goes for Mike Tyson.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.