Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's my favorite sequence from the film.

2. Hey Gorts: please reopen the Roma thread.

Taxman likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Odd that it would be closed?

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

There was a lot of silly sniping back and forth that’s hopefully getting cleaned up.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not as long as Peter Pan. And they never seem to stop making those.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

Maybe it's time?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Except for their well-known hits, I was never a Queen fan ever since my friend sequestered me in his basement and made me listen to something like "the battle of the troll and the ogre" or something like that and pointed out how the crashing guitars represented the beasts and I kinda sat there saying "Uh huh" thinking what kind of nonsense is this? Hahahha. Of course, it was the 70s and there was weed involved, so, by not fault of Queen's, that kinda soured me on them. After that I thought they were silly and Brian May's guitar always sounded like an ogre special effect to me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. The Captain Marvel trailer was just vague. I watched the whole trailer and it was so generic I had zero idea what kind of movie it was until "Captain Marvel" came on the screen at the end. That was part of my puzzlement. "What the hell is this movie about? Oh.... another second-tier superhero movie."

alexpop likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

'

I just watched one from 2003 and it was pretty good. Probably the best Pan I've seen on film. It's such a weirdo story.

10. Actually the Marvel Universe is just that. All of the films have a story line link is some manner. Every film adds a piece to the whole story so this will be a big movie.

Of course not everyone is into these, but Marvel is very smart how they link all these stories together.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Advertisement for hair shampoo.

12. it was about 30 m8 utes too long though

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

SEE KONG, THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD, ICE SKATE!

Mazzy and wayneklein like this.
  14. Yeah that was just dumb. I showed my wife the classic original and we compared it to the remake and it's the exact same plot padded to justify the cost.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think it's padded to justify the cost - I think it's padded because that's what Peter Jackson does.

Why make a 2-hour movie when you can stretch it to 3 hours?

Why make an appropriate length "Hobbit" - maybe 125 minutes - when you can stretch it to three long movies?

Jackson ain't exactly known for tight filmmaking!

The Hermit, P(orF), budwhite and 3 others like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

I really think that they should have waited until after IX, before doing projects like Solo.

Let them finish with the original series before starting another offshoot.

Whether you like Fantastic Beasts or not, at least they are being released after the original HP series came to a conclusion.

If they had waited until a year or TWO after IX, they would have a chance to develop Solo into it's own mini franchise.

They stretch out the main SW franchise over thirty two years! Which is like an average of three and a half movies a year and then they rush to put this other stuff out.

The core SW audience never wanted this, what they want is to see the original series finale.

Then...

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Note that the new Men in Black reboot is scheduled for 2019.

Meanwhile, here's a new list of the Worst Films of 2018 by the Hollywood Reporter:

10. 'Suspiria'
    9. 'A Wrinkle in Time'
    8. '7 Days in Entebbe'
    7. 'Kings'
    6. 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms'
    5. 'Venom'
    4. 'Life Itself'
    3. 'Fifty Shades Freed'
    2. 'Robin Hood'
    1. 'Gotti'

Hollywood Reporter Critics Pick the 10 Worst Films of 2018

Very hard to argue with any of them, and I think the critics' comments are well-articulated. Several of them were enormous bombs and got horrific reviews, though I know a few people who worked on Gotti over the last couple of years -- for some reason, it took a long time to make -- and I'll probably wind up seeing it anyway.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

You forget that there are plans for Episodes 10-12, so there won't be a period without a trilogy...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

Looking back to the beginning of the 2018 thread, a lot of remakes/sequels but the list was mostly little to get excited about.

I think that the 2019 list is coming out of the gate much stronger!

There are so many that you know are going to be hits at the box office. You can also get a good idea that while many of them may not be super hits, that yhey will still be successful and turn a profit at the box office.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, but I don’t believe the Rian Johnson trilogy or the Benioff and Weiss series will carry the episode numbers, and they were both announced as having nothing to do with the Skywalker saga, so they can market Episode IX as being the last film in the Skywalker saga.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

STOP! I didn't know that there were plans for Episodes 10-12! Enough with the WS already!

22. Oatsdad

"WS"? :confused:

Simon A likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

I know the next trilogy won't be Skywalker-involved, but I thought it'd still be touted as Episodes 10-12.

My point remains that there will (apparently) always be trilogies in Disney's "Star Wars", so spinoff films can't wait for a trilogy-free period...

Encuentro and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

your opinion?

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I look forward to each and every one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.