Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

can we get another punisher movie

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that "fourth time's the charm" thing?

All of the first three bombed. I guess "Punisher" is doing okay as a TV show...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

I loved the one with Thomas jane. warzone was ok

4. Oatsdad

I watched both recently and didn't like either one. Don't think I ever saw the Lundgren one. The Jane film is the better of the 2 - it occasionally shows promise, whereas "WZ" is just awful:

The Punisher [4K UHD] (2004)
    Punisher: War Zone [4K UHD] (2008)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

I hope one day someone makes another film and they get better writers who understand the character. they need an uber fan like ryan Reynolds getting involved in deadpool

6. Oatsdad

Have you seen the TV series? No idea how well it represents the character.

I honestly can't recall if I read any Punisher comics back when I was into comics big-time in the early 80s, so I don't think I have a great idea of what the character's "supposed to be"...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

More than one person has observed that making movies in Hollywood is like gambling in Vegas or playing the stock market: there's always risk involved, there are no sure things, and a degree of luck and good timing is involved. And as noted screenwriter William Goldman (who passed away in 2018) said: “Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.”

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yep, some of the all time pics were turned down by many.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Vidiot

The Punisher TV series on Netflix did very well.

JackBnimble and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. I actually loved both especially the first one.

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the DC of the 1st was best.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm there...I'll buy it. : )

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. The time may be right to finally bring Archie Meets the Punisher to the screen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I saw it this morning. I liked the movie from the very beginning and never read the comic book.

It was a long time to sit and the level of SFX was "loud" throughout the entire movie. This is something that movies tend to do and have done so for a long time.

In the 1999, James Bond movie, The World is Not Enough (the one with Denise Richards playing the Bond Girl) was driving me up the wall, because of the loudness level during the movie.

To the best of my recollection, James Bond is "spy". I used to be under the impression that spies do things quietly?

Saw Mary Poppins, in the afternoon, not as loud, but louder than it needed to be. I don't really see the point.

Aquaman deserves everything it gets and will, without a doubt be a successful franchise.

Karnak likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I went to see Spiderverse last night because the family wanted to see it. I am predisposed not to like superhero movies, but I enjoyed the story and thought that the animation was cool and interesting. Apparently others agree, because it has done $300 million at the box office.

Dan C, SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  18. Vidiot

They're "theoretically" supposed to mix theatrical films at a reference level of 85dB, which equates to "Dolby Level 7" on the controls in the booth. But some theater owners believe people believe louder is better, so they crank it up a notch or two. That's often enough to go from loud to annoyingly loud.

I have a sound-pressure level meter in my phone (a good one), and I can recall measuring Man of Steel in IMAX as hitting about 108dB, which is way, way, way too loud. Luckily, we bring soft rubber earplugs to all screenings, and that takes the curse off the extreme loudness. Still, it shouldn't be necessary.

budwhite and Dan C like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I was curious about it, enough to want to check it out, but it left my AMC theater, which I am now a Stubbs A-List member, last week. I see that it is playing at another AMC a few miles up the road, maybe?

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The teaser was still dreadful, but the full trailers were better .. and the movie better still. :)

SandAndGlass and Spencer R like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Future World : 2018
    James Franco.
    Gave it IMDb 1/10 rating.
    NRF
    No redeeming features.

22. Favorite review quote:
    "I'd say it looked like what Corky St. Clair of "Waiting for Guffman" would come up with if he had a mind to make a "Mad Max: Fury Road" knockoff, but that would be insulting to Corky St. Clair."

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.