Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I think the latest "Insidious" movie will gross over $100m worldwide.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Insidious running out of ideas just like Paranormal activity..
    I gave on the franchise too..

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

He doesn't go far enough. The Indies I've seen, or at least read about in Moviemaker, also seem to circle around about a dozen archtypal indie stories. If some indies are supposed to eventually gravitate to Hollywood, it seems like their bad or weak ideas will just be compounded.
    The Big Problem With Hollywood Is Its Product

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Back to Greatest Showman....I recommended it to one of my employees and he took his wife tonight. His only complaint was it was nearly sold out and they had to sit in the front row! And they loved it! Clearly word of mouth is really propelling this film. Shows that sometimes you don't want to be too click pulling a film out. I'm real happy for them. Don't know if this is happening all over but it will be interesting to see the numbers shortly.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I had heard the same thing, that Fox was very disappointed on the returns and reviews for Alien: Covenant (cost $97M, made $240M). On paper, it didn't lose money, but I think they were hoping for a lot more. I have heard rumblings that they've been toying with the idea of an Alien TV show, but a lot of those future plans are being thrown up in the air in July, assuming the Disney/Fox deal happens.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

That article I linked predated the release of "Covenant", so if it's accurate, the relative failure of "Covenant" didn't kill the Blomkamp project.

Who knows? I don't think the "Alien" franchise is dead, but Blomkamp's take on it seems to be kaput...

9. Oatsdad

"Jumanji" currently at $541 million worldwide on a budget of $90 million.

It's also predicted to again be the #1 movie in the US - in its fourth weekend.

So much for the belief that Johnson can't pick a winner! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really enjoyed this!

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

same director has done Annabelle...he most def has a style...

12. shokhead

So why did I link that movie.

13. Oatsdad

You're asking me? You linked to it - shouldn't you know why? :confused:

14. Vidiot

He runs hot and cold. I'm not quick to forget that he was the star of The Tooth Fairy, a movie I worked on that I suspect The Rock would like to forget. I'm glad the new movie was successful and audiences seem to enjoy it.

Blomkamp has had a rough time lately, since Chappoie and some of his other recent projects have fizzled and/or underperformed. It's interesting how some directors fall into a "flavor of the month" deal and they're hot for about a year, then the studios suddenly won't return their phone calls.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

The Tooth Fairy. You know how I know you're not lying about working on that film? Cause nobody would brag about working on The Tooth Fairy

16. Oatsdad

To be fair, "Tooth Fairy" was relatively early in Johnson's acting career and before he became an "A"-list actor.

Plus, prior to "Fairy", he starred in "Game Plan", another kid-oriented comedy. Johnson probably thought it was good to make another movie in that vein.

And "Fairy" wasn't a bad movie, IMO - it's silly but as kid-oriented material, it's watchable:

Tooth Fairy [Blu-Ray] (2010)

Looking over Johnson's filmography, I can't quite figure out what put him in the "A"-list category. I guess the "Fast and Furious" movies, as he wasn't part of a truly big hit until "Fast Five", but those are ensemble pieces, so it seems weird he'd have vaulted in star status due to those...

17. shokhead

Alien 5 dead says director Neill Blomkamp | EW.com
    Guess that's the end of that!

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Oh, no -- I worked on it for several weeks. It is not watchable. The editorial assistants were absolutely miserable. Everybody knew it was haaaaarible... and it was. Johnson was smart enough to fire all his agents and managers because of that film, and that's when his career started taking off. He's a smart guy and generally chooses the right projects, or at least right from a commercial point of view.

19. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

20. Vidiot

I hope it does well -- the trailer actually looks pretty decent. Disney/Marvel has a tough time, because they have to release Black Panther quickly and then get ready for the Han Solo movie in early May and Avengers: Infinity Wars at the end of May, which will be huge.

McLover, sunspot42 and Stormrider77 like this.
  21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure they have the staff to take care of that.

22. Oatsdad

I watched "Tooth Fairy" - and thought it was decent. So HA! :cool:

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

As I predicted back in the thread, Black Panther is breaking records and will be huge. The highest number of pre-sales of any comic book movie. Critics love it as well.

You owe me £10 ;)

sunspot42 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

:)

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Black Panther is tracking really big numbers, will it crack $1.5 B Worldwide ?

sunspot42 and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.