Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The eyes have it - actually, I think she looks very cute. In fact, she reminds me so much of similarly cute Mary Elizabeth Winstead from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Sure.
    Didn't Scarlet play the role of Alita ?

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Polar Express cost $165 million and made $310 million, so I think it broke even but was not an enormous success. Under any other conditions, a film that grossed $310 million would be a huge hit... but you have to take the cost into consideration. I think the four films Polar Express, Beowulf, Christmas Carol, and Mars Needs Moms pretty much ended Zemeckis' foray into motion capture and killed his company ImageMovers. But he's still clearly fascinated with motion capture, and used it again for Welcome to Marwen (one of the biggest flops of his career, since it cost $50M and made only $12M).

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That reminds me, what happened to his Yellow Submarine project? Years ago I was on a stage and saw a door and a prop table with the movie's sign on them, along with some big boxes labled "Zemeckis". I asked someone about it and they said it was on hold so everything there was idle.

5. Vidiot

I think it was all scuttled. I think there were issues with budget, with the Beatles, with music rights, plus it didn't help that Mars Needs Moms lost $150 million dollars. There was a lot of interesting art ideas for the project, some of which is at this link:

Yellow Submarine (2010 Animation Test and 2012 Canceled Animated Film)

SandAndGlass and mikeyt like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

No, This person did, Her name is Rosa Salazar, but she is not in the movie as a real person. Her character is all motion capture.

[​IMG]

Actually the photo I posted of Scarlett Johansson on the previous page, post #225, repeated below, I posted as a joke.

It is not really Scarlett Johansson, but a robot (really!). Since we were on the subject of creepy eyes.

[​IMG]

Here is a short video.

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Oh, this is the photo I was referring to.

8. SandAndGlass

Yes, that one with the creepy eyes is the real Scarlett.

She is not in the Alita movie.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

So you don't want to meet the ex then ? Damn.
    I'm never going to get her out of here.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

That Rosa Salazar gal would've worked just fine as the real Alita without the eye treatment.

Or maybe a tut on how to go all the way with the Manga look on a live subject would push the effect in the more obvious direction in turning the person into an expressive figure...

New Manga Effect – 2011

11. SandAndGlass

OK, [​IMG] I clicked on the link and got this.

Which is somehow supposed to be better than this?

[​IMG]

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

John Wick III :righton:

[​IMG]

Mazzy and That80sBaldAsianBadGuy like this.
  13. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Very much looking forward to this film and it is one of the rare series where the sequel was better than the first movie

Deuce66 likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's a lock to make a few $$$ this summer.

15. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I get a photoshop tutorial in my Firefox browser (the URL indicates it's not a secure connection, there's no HTTP" just "tutorializing" at the beginning).

But that final image will suffice. And no, that isn't better. It just pushes the manga effect to more address the intent by the movie producers stated in this quote:
    My point being is that the eyes are the only distortion of the photo-realistic effect of the manga style that seems to become amplified and draw too much attention to itself by being contrasted against what primarily looks normal and not distorted.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Vidiot

I would be stunned if Spiderman: Far from Home isn't a huge hit. I'd also say that for Avengers: Endgame and Captain Marvel.

Deuce66 likes this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

don't know how widely the release will be, but this looks interesting

18. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Looks like it could be a $100 million domestic hit

eddiel and Deuce66 like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Short soundbyte between Cameron and Rodriguez.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

Let's take Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, which is the 2nd Fantastic Beasts installment.

It was not all that well liked and very disliked by many. It has a Rotten Tomato's critic's rating of 38% and an audience rating of only %60.

It will have been out now for two months, as of tomorrow and as of yesterday has a box office of Worldwide: $647,803,422.

If Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, can do this, with the low ratings that it has garnered, then I predict that Alita will hit it out of the ballpark!

The more I see, the stronger I feel about the movies impending success.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But "Beasts" has been name recognition, as it's related to the Harry Potter franchise.

Nothing in "Alita" bears the same immense, broad appeal...

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I am aware that Beasts is in the Potter franchise. I have been an advocate of it since it was released a few months back.

I'm simply pointing out, that for a film that is part of a major franchise, it has some bad viewer's reviews and bad press and was not generally well received. Not much of a real appeal there, yet it still earned a bunch at the box office.

Who heard of Avatar?

Cameron is not stupid and his movies will do well. With Rodriguez on board, Alita will do well. While it may not have a built in audience for America, I think the Asian market does have an audience and the international box office will be super strong.

We have less than a month to see what breaks. Lets place our bets. I say Alita will be a win and will do $800M or more. within four months.

I see it likely to break the 1B box office mark.

I get this feeling, that Aquaman is providing a momentum among theater audiences. I don't think that anyone expected Aquaman to break 1B and, do it within one month!

Bumblebee is going strong and people are going to want another mega hit.

Since we are in the "predicting" stage, let's predict... Oatsdad, what are your predictions?

Opinions anyone?

23. SandAndGlass

Looking back on this image. I'm not sure that I agree with their assessment. I don't see the other facial features as rendered normally. The nose is very thin and her mouth is small as are her teeth. Her bottom lip is proportionate to her mouth, but her top lip is almost non existent.

[​IMG]

24. Vidiot

I heard there was some grumbling at WB because Grindelwald had "only" made $648 million on a budget of $200M plus another $70M+ for promotion. It's profitable, but the first Fantastic Beasts cost less and made $814M. They were hoping for Harry Potter numbers, like $900M-$1B.

I don't think you can compare Grindelwald to Alita: Battle Angel, because they're very different kinds of films. Grindelwald takes place in the 1927, is a period fantasy with magic and costumes, a guy who hunts creatures, and so on, while Alita is a futuristic science-fiction film with spaceships, explosions, fight scenes, and robots. I think it sounds a lot more like the Wachowskis' Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending, or Luc Besson's Valerian, all of which were disasters. The last few Robert Rodriguez films had some issues at the box office (particularly Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and Machete Kills). Note also that Rodriguez has never done a film even remotely in this budget range (close to $200M).

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL...were you living in a cave. Everyone in the world knew about Avatar. Never has a movie been so hyped Everywhere you looked there it was, and everyone was being told they had to see this film because there was nothing like it before (which only made it that much worse when it was so underwhelming, but that's a different story).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.