Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw him in person in 72/73 and he certainly did that.

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If you took the songs out of Mamma Mia, which I saw in its original Toronto production and in the theater, it would still be a fun, charming romantic comedy. Across the Universe would not exist without the production numbers.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Funny, as I don't remember saying anything of the kind.

It is further interesting, since I have been a fan of Elton's music for a half century. Like Jerry Lee Lewis and perhaps more so, Elton is about as exciting of a performer, playing the piano, as you can possibly get.

I have personal friend's who have see Elton perform live on stage. I have seen him on TV and there are countless YouTube video's of his performances. If you watch them, he mostly does what any piano player does and that is to sit and to play the piano.

I didn't see the Queen movie. I plan of seeing the Elton John movie.

My prior comments earlier in this thread are simply that I think the the general audiences will be more attracted to a Queen movie, than watching a movie about someone who plays a piano.

If you are trying to go anywhere else with these comments, then you are reading too much into the script that just is not there.

I think that audience wise, Queen will have a younger audience that will relate better to Queen than they will do with Elton John.

My comments, as they relate to this thread, are that simply, I think that for the reasons that I have mentioned, more than once, that the Elton John movie will not achieve the popularity at the box office that the Queen movie did. If it does twice the box office, even better still.

I think that the demographic that the Elton John movie is best geared toward, will opt for watching it later, in their homes, as opposed to making the trip to the theater.

This will conclude my thoughts on Rocketman until after I see the movie for myself.

4. This is somewhat true although there is also a love story in Universe. Universe is the much better film on a cinematic level.

But I see the charm of the Mamma Mis films to the masses.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

No doubt that it would still be a "fun, charming romantic comedy", but a fun, charming romantic comedy, that would have taken in 20% at the box office of what it did take in because it had the musical number's in it.

Most movies that are fun, charming, romantic comedies, do OK at the box office, rarely more than that.

No kidding, the reason that Across the Universe exists in the first place is because it has those production numbers. On top of which, it happens to be a well thought out entertaining movie with lots of good people in the cast and killer versions of Beatles songs.

6. Yes regarding Aceoss the Universe. Great production numbers. That’s what Julie Taymor does with her great production design

Julie Taymor - Wikipedia

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

I like Besson and can appreciate the quirkiness in his films. I like Scarlett Johansson and like the rolls that she appears in and was really looking forward to Lucy, but it just didn't work for me.

The Tomatometer gave it a 67% and the audience, which usually will appreciate a movie better than the film critic's can, only gave it a 47%.

Now, I don't think that anyone just happens to wander into a movie like this. A viewer would know the general premise of the movie and who is staring in the film and who the director is, before they get to the theater.

Comments like:

"Besson has made very, very bad films in the past, but this is the first time he has presented one so idiotic that the only way to properly convey its flaws is to enumerate them."

"Lucy is that rare breed of film that is both pretentious and idiotic."

"It's a film that has been advertised using the tagline "open your mind", yet you will likely find it is best enjoyed with your brain switched off."

And those are the critic's, who liked it better than the audience.

One of whom best summed it up by saying, "Probably the worst sci-fi movie I've ever seen". My feelings exactly.

And, I wanted to like this movie!

I don't think, that from a technical standpoint alone, this movie could have been made 10-15 years ago.

Are Besson's movies in general, the types of movies that you think of in terms of being a mass market success in America?

But they have somehow managed to do well here. I had not heard of Valerian before reading about it on the forum. I then bought the DVD.

From the beginning, I was captivated by the movie being visually stunning. I would imagine that in 3D on the big screen that it would be much more so.

Spending 200M on a movie is not something that is done everyday. For a foreign made Sci-FI flick, it was unheard of.

By now, we all have a general idea about the things that Besson does. Either you like him and his movies or you don't. I think that he is that type of Director. He doesn't do family films or romantic comedy's.

The guy has a track record, Lucy was a box office home run, he just spent 200M making a science fiction film that wasn't Star Wars and then nobody goes to see it?

I'll grant you, that the story and casting were weird, but still, I would have thought that more people would go to see it based on his track record and the movie budget alone.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lucy I liked. Valerian failed to amuse me. Don't think the cast made any difference. The comic must have looked impressive in the sixties.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

I never really knew who was behind the production of Across the Universe. I very much liked everything about the film.

Growing up with the beatles and liking their work, I can't seem to want to listen to their music, as much as I like the songs, simply due to mass over exposure to them over a course of a half of a century.

The vocal's and arrangements for the "33" Beatles songs in the movie, I thought were fantastic. I can listen to them, where I can't listen to most of the originals.

Near the beginning of the movie, when they do the I want to Hold Your Hand, the vocal and arrangement, nearly blew me away. It was the best that I can remember hearing the song being performed.

You see artists like Evan Rachel Wood in nonmusical productions and you never think of them singing. It is like seeing Kristen Bell and never knowing how well she could sing, until Frozen comes along and makes 1.2 billion dollars!

When Evan Rachel Wood sang, If I Fell, it was absolutely stunning. I bought the CD and the song was not on it. Only some time later, I found out that there was the deluxe CD, which was a 2-CD set with 29 songs from the movie.

Although I have never seen the play, it seems that she did a stunning job on Lion King. Can't do much better than what she has done!

I had not heard of the movie before, I just discovered the DVD in Barnes and Noble, Frida, the true story of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. I bought it, but have yet to view it.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  10. T Bone Burnett did all the musical arrangements. The main reason why they were so good and original. He also did O Brother Where Art Thou.

budwhite and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Elliott Goldenthal & T Bone both did the arrangements . I think Elliott did most of them like slowing down I Wanna Hold Your Hand etc.

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

She was on the Amnesty 3 cd set of Dylan covers. She sang I'd Have You Anytime, re-arranged as a jazz ballad. Very credible version.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. That was a great version of Hand. Made it a very different song. But still great.

Pizza, SandAndGlass and chacha like this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

sunspot42, SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Having two of the biggest actors of their generation in a Tarantino film about "up n coming actors" is giving irony a bad name. Please make it stop.

16. SandAndGlass

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Theaters are going the way of the dodo. The question isn't if they're going to cease to exist, but when.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

I don't know, but the AMC dine-in theater by me charges $12 for a regular movie and $15 for a 3D movie, the end doesn't seem to be too far off?

19. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I don’t know about that. Most people I know go to the movies at least once every couple of months. And it is becoming increasingly difficult to decide on a whim to catch an early evening showing on a weekend - they all sell out in advance. Sometimes I even have to buy morning matinee tickets in advance for popular films. I don’t think theaters are going away any time soon.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No, people will always want to go out and see the big films on a big screen as an event.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It is an event for our family to see a movie. The same for my wife and I for a date. I think there will always be a market for going out to a restaurant and watching a major film.

PTgraphics likes this.
  22. Indeed. People were talking about the death of the cinema 65 years ago with the advent of TV, and it hasn't happened yet. Heck, even drive-ins have made a limited comeback. Cinemas might become more niche and exclusive in the main, but they'll probably always be around.

Jim B. likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

It is a false sense of logic that because something "has" always been around, we somehow expect that it will still always be around.

The land line telephone had been around for a hundred years. How may people are installing LL based phones in their new houses?

How about major shopping centers with Sears department stores will they be in a few years?

From my observation's, drive-in's must be making a "very" limited comeback (sort of like cassette tapes, which did away with records).

So how many movies have each of you seen during 2018?

Attending an "occasional" movie is not quite the going to the movies experience that it once was.

How many have you seen or or are going to see in 2019? Glass is the big movie of the week. At my local AMC cinema, ticket's are only $12 each and a bucket of popcorn is only $9 and drinks are only $6 each.

So for only $45, you can enjoy a night out at the movies in 2D. A 3D movie will set you back another $3 each, bring the total to $51 per-couple.
    Flat screen 4k 60" TV's are now down to around $500. A Blu-ray disk is about $14, popcorn and soda are $2.

So, I'd say, movies have competition, now then ever before.

sunspot42 and Cousin It like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

AMC is a bad comparison, as you can join "A-List" and pay $20 for up to 12 movies a month.

I saw "Glass" IMAX on Monday and paid a grand total of $14 for movie, popcorn and drink...

brownie61 likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't think anybody I know goes to the movies often. Plenty never go. I go maybe four times a year, and I have dozens of theaters in walking distance, including IMAX screens and such.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.