Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks like Statham is his sidekick, ie not as much screen time.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The studio (Disney's) take of Box Office Gross is usually 50% from Domestic, 25% from China and 40-45% Foreign. That's a good guideline.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Probably a lot from this movie.

McDonald's product tie-in's alone are in full swing.

I want to get a t-shirt with goose on it!

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

When CAPTAIN MARVEL -- a solid installment but a flashback origin story of a supporting character -- did a billion, you knew the pump was primed.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"CM" also got a boost as the 1st MCU movie with a female lead...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Roland Stone

True. Nieces want to see this for that particular reason: "She's like Ultraman but A GIRL!"

Incidentally, my 14-screener is still showing CAPTAIN MARVEL, even with ENDGAME out.

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

That is what I give them credit for the most.

Creating a franchise and have a highly successful following, enough that they can bring this segment of the franchise to a world record setting conclusion, box office wise.

I don't personally have any knowledge of the Marvel Universe, although I did see Captain Marvel.

Because of this, while I will go see Endgame, it is nothing that I will have been looking forward to, like in other franchises, where there are specific parts to the series (like, The Hunger Games).

I don't therefore expect to be able to appreciate a lot of the movie and would also refrain from expressing much of my opinions about the movie, after seeing it, for those reasons.

It will be interesting to see the final numbers tomorrow, as to the overall success of opening weekend.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The numbers fall into the holy sh** category...

‘Avengers: Endgame’ Has Broken 144 Box Office Records… and Counting

I knew the film would be big, but I honestly didn't think it would be this big. Four months ago I predicted it would hit $2 billion dollars and get close to Avatar. No way did I think it had a chance of doing that in the first month of release.

That is correct as I understand it, but there are some variables in there, particularly in that the studio gets more than a 50/50 split in the opening week, and then there's a sliding scale so that the longer the theater holds on to the movie, the more money they make.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

"CM" was 2nd at the box office this weekend, so it's pretty much still everywhere!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Vidiot

It's a surprising Top 10 list this weekend...

[​IMG]

What the hell is The Curse of La Llorna? All the rest I've heard of.

Given that Captain Marvel is in its 8th week of release, this is astonishing box-office performance. I thought the movie was "good/not great," but I'm torn on Endgame: it's kind of between a "very good/great" for me. Still an excellent film, making huge money, got great reviews, the audience is thrilled, the studio is happy, and in the long run that's all that matters.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Captain Marvel seems to be picking up business thanks to Endgame. It's in its 7th week of release, and its take was actually up 12% over the week before, and it's cleared a whopping $1.1 billion worldwide.

The incels are gonna need to retreat to their moms' basements, because we can expect a wave of female-driven superhero films in the wake of this one and Wonder Woman.

12. Roland Stone

I think Marvel belatedly learned that phony reactionary outrage, such as that directed at CAPTAIN MARVEL and director James Gunn, is in fact just a statistically insignificant clatch of keyboard commandos who add up to a thousand tickets, even if they post ten-thousand negative reviews, Tweets and videos.

Jim B. and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sometimes you need to take a step back/outside of the situation you are in to really appreciate the scale of things.

I have been a huge comics fan all my life, and know these characters inside and out after reading thousands of comics.

Now we had Batman films, and Superman, who everyone knows, and I could see a good X-Men or Spidey film being a success if they did it right.

But if you had told me in 1985 or even 1995, maybe even 2005, that a Marvel team-up movie with tons of people fighting Thanos will break every box-office record going, I would have said you were insane. No way. It is a concept that could only exist in the comics, wouldn't work at all on the big screen and it would only appeal to a comic book nerds so would never warrant the budget to be done right.

I just find this whole thing incredible.

14. Oatsdad

Horror movie - spinoff from "The Conjuring".

And it has an "Avengers" connection, as it stars Linda Cardellini!

15. SandAndGlass

Rotten Tomatoes (Tomatometer 31%):

"In 1970s Los Angeles, La Llorona is stalking the night -- and the children. Ignoring the eerie warning of a troubled mother suspected of child endangerment, a social worker and her own small kids are soon drawn into a frightening supernatural realm. Their only hope to survive La Llorona's deadly wrath may be a disillusioned priest and the mysticism he practices to keep evil at bay, on the fringes where fear and faith collide."

This year we have been inundated with possessed children, crazy neighbors, demonic possessions and the supernatural.

Enough is enough!

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

so, this Endgame movie I've been hearing about. It might eke out a small profit?

17. Vidiot

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

What I am totally taken back with is, that usually when a record is broken, it is by an incremental amount.

Let's face it, there have been a lot of huge movie openings in the past.

But Avengers: Endgame, about doubled the previous record, which was Avengers: Infinity War, which held the title for the largest worldwide debut with $640 million.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Bombs away - this looks awful.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

So far as juvenile video game movies go, the Pokémon movie is going to succeed because the characters are adorable and the movie looks fun as heck. This looks as awful as the live-action Grinch and Cat in the Hat movies from 20 years ago. I have no desire to watch an annoying humanoid hedgehog and Jim Carrey mug for two hours.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

The new trailer makes it look like it’s relying much more on the original source material than Last Stand did, which is promising. Still, casual fans are going to feel like they just saw this movie 13 years ago and didn’t like it then, so why would they like it now?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It looks like their pushing Game Of Thrones ⭐️ Sophie Turner to the neglect of the other actors.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, her character is the focus of the film, so there’s really no getting around that. But being that we’re right in the middle the final season of one of the popular shows on television, the timing for this movie couldn’t be better. Not that it will help much. The movie is expected to underperform. But it can’t hurt.

24. DreadPikathulhu

True, but she is the main character, which brings up another issue - we barely know this iteration of Jean Grey, why should we care if she dies?

The Disney Marvel movies (and Logan) spent a decade building some characters up before killing them off, which was much more emotionally rewarding

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  25. Oatsdad

I think "Pokemon" will be a hit because the kids will love it but it also goes "meta" enough for adults.

I never would've paid money for a kid-oriented animated Pokemon movie, but I'll see this one!

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.