Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

What makes you think all the other nutty fans will think differently from you? I think it's gonna be a massive hit, even if it sucks. But I'm very hopeful that J.J. Abrams is painfully aware of the fan complaints against the last few films, and he'll bend over backwards to make the best film he can.

I think the Disney management is right on top of everybody at Pixar, Fox, Lucas, Disney Animation, Disney live-action, ABC TV, and Muppets.

Matthew Tate and Deuce66 like this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For better or worse. Right now they seem to have it all together. But you’ve been around this a long time...they could be one major management shake up away from things not being so rosy. I just don’t think it’s a great thing to see all those marquee studio names under one roof. Competition is a good thing, but in our kind of free market system it’s only natural for this to happen. I’m unconvinced it’s a good thing. We’ll see...as I said, I’m rooting for them and if it has to be all owned by one company, this is the one I would pick.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Hollywoo is in uncharted territory right now: we've never had a situation where a single studio (Disney) suddenly owning such a massive number of the biggest hit movies of all time. It's also a huge problem because if an agent, an actor, or a filmmaker p!sses-off Disney, now suddenly they've lost the ability to work on 40% of the projects in town. And don't forget the cable & streaming services they own or control. Monopolies can be very scary.

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Just wait till Amazon buys them (after Google buys Amazon and the People's Republic of China buys Google after cornering the market on popcorn seed)

5. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Even more sobering to consider that list would be entirely different if a dollar was worth a dollar. But hey, who cares about the poor and the elderly when Variety can run a new sensationalist headline every coupla years?

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's the Top 15 of 2019 as of yesterday, the Mouse controls 7/15 titles and a licensing share of Spider-Man FfH. In terms of $ it's 7629.3/11724.7 = 65%, not incl. a take from Spider-Man.

1- Avengers: Endgame BV $2,793.6
    2- Captain Marvel BV $1,128.3
    3- Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $1,042.6
    4- The Lion King (2019) BV $1,014.8
    5- Aladdin (2019) BV $1,011.9
    6- Toy Story 4 BV $922.9
    7- The Wandering Earth CMC $699.8
    8- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Uni. $519.8
    9- Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $431.1
    10- Alita: Battle Angel Fox $404.9
    11- Godzilla: King of the Monsters WB $385.3
    12- Shazam! WB (NL) $364.5
    13- Dumbo (2019) BV $352.9
    14- The Secret Life of Pets 2 Uni. $333.2
    15- John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $319.1

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hobbs & Shaw ?
    Better than I thought.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Heh-heh...good luck Disney, getting your hands on Bambi Meets Godzilla...:evil:
    I bet that's been their game plan all this time...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. alexpop

Hobbs and Shaw low box office compared with other FastFurious related films least in the US.

Give the film a 7.5/10

10. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I heard that Hobbs & Shaw was terrible. There's an awful joke about genocide in it. I used to like Dwayne Johnson but not anymore. I got tired of seeing him EVERYWHERE. He's in all these franchise movies and he has a TV series called Ballers. He is more overexposed than Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga put together.

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. alexpop

Very funny in it just saying. Even I was surprised what with over exposure/saturation.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

We're almost at six in the Billion Dollar Club for 2019.

1- Avengers: Endgame BV $2,795.1
    2- The Lion King (2019) BV $1,334.6
    3- Captain Marvel BV $1,128.3
    4- Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $1,097.0
    5- Aladdin (2019) BV $1,035.3
    6- Toy Story 4 BV $990.0

2018: 5 (Avengers, BPanther, Jurassic, Incredibles 2, Aquaman)
    2017: 4 (SW Jedi, Beauty/Beast, Fate of the Furious, Despicable 3)
    2016: 4 (Capt.Amer Civil W, Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia)
    2015: 5 (SW Force Aw - Jurassic W - FF 7 - Avengers Ultron - Minions)
    2014: 1 (Transformers - Age of)
    2013: 2 (Frozen - IMan 3)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Be interesting to see how many end up there. Safe to say "Star Wars" will do it, and probably "Frozen 2" as well.

Not sure if there's anything else on the release schedule with that ticket sales potential!

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Those two for sure, I would consider them a lock. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Jumanji: The Next Level can also get there if they beat previous outings by 25% or more.

sunspot42, SandAndGlass and Oatsdad like this.
  15. Vidiot

And the new Melissa McCarthy movie, The Kitchen, has bombed big-time. This $38 million dollar film opened to a dismal $5.5 million, which is a disaster for Warner Bros.:

‘The Kitchen’: Why Audiences Rejected a Serious Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish Movie

The movie has had mixed reviews, but has already made more than $334 million, which is on the way to being a huge hit by any measure. Note they will need to clear $500M+ to break even, since it cost a whopping $200M (at the same level as the Fast & Furious films).

Roland Stone and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

With a recession coming on, look for those ridiculous budgets to start getting trimmed.

I also think this is going to have a rapid, powerful, chilling impact on the cost of production for all of those streaming services.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I quite agree with this. I have commented previously to this regard. Technology has come a long way and they have the ability to make these practically technically perfect movies, but they are ending up costing around $170M to $200M each to produce.

With all of the movies being released each month in the theaters, they is just not enough theater revenue to go around to support the uber expensive to produce movies.

Budgets will have to be cut back, there is no other viable alternative.

Even non CGI heavy movies like Booksmart, which follows two high school girls for a 24-hour period before their graduation, cost 20M to make, which to me is insane.

This years, The Kid Who Would Be King, which was a cute kids movie, cost 60M to make.

budwhite and sunspot42 like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

Perhaps this had something to do with it?

[​IMG]

19. SandAndGlass

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I liked a lot better that I ever thought that I would, is not doing so well at the box office either.

With a July 26th opening, it has only brought in a worldwide box office of $111.7M against a $90M production budget.

The masses are definitely not lining up for this one.

I had wondered about this movie, after hearing the basic plot synopsis. It just didn't grab me as being something that the movie going audiences would be that interested in.

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Wow, for me some of those movies were not that good imo. What I mean by that is, there are a few other movies
    that I would choose over these. I'm not going to name them to avoid a scuffle. I'm an older man so that's just my take.
    Does anyone else think a couple of these movies are well below par?
    Some of you guys work in the industry, do insiders understand this, what is to me, a phenomenon? :)

mozz likes this.
  21. It's a movie that will do better on home video.

SandAndGlass and Dudley Morris like this.
  22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

What do you think the second half of the movie "It" will do?
    Could it be one of the all time biggest horror movies? :)

To me it looks great, I already bought my seats and I don't usually do that.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Melissa Mccarthy is box office poison..

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

You know they just reopened the Osio. It's a small independent movie theater that shows both independent and foreign movies. Great sandwiches and mini cakes.
    It's like a boutique. They pay for your parking too. :)

25. Vidiot

I think it will do extremely well. I think of the hundred-or-so films and TV shows made from Stephen King's work, the recent It production was among the very best ever done. It deserved all its commercial success.

As I've said many times, I learned in film criticism class there are four kinds of films:

• films you like
    • films the critics like
    • films the public likes
    • and films that make money.

It's rare you get a movie that hits all four points. There's lots of films I hate that made lots of money (I've been vocal about Transformers and Fast & Furious, to name two huge franchies). But there are also a lot of films that are merely "OK" to me -- not great, not good, but alright -- and some of those make a lot of money, too. Recently, Lion King was one of those, which is currently at $1.34 billion dollars. I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would, but I also didn't love it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a film I loved, but it's a very quirky, weird film, and I think people "of a certain age" would find it more interesting than a younger crowd. It's still making money, which is tough for a $100 million dollar R-rated film that runs over 160 minutes.

wayneklein, PH416156 and Larry Mc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.