Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

How the Federal aid package might help. If they can get their fixed costs covered it will give them a fighting chance.

How the $2 Trillion Federal Aid Package May Help Movie Theaters

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm sure the new 007 Bond film will be neither a bomb, nor a hit. I'll enjoy it, but no more than that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

5. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I just read that. I expected them to delay GB Afterlife to the Halloween season since that period seems like a natural fit for a franchise like this. Such a shame, not only for the industry but also for its fans that have been looking forward to the movie for quite a while.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I read that earlier today. Wasn’t sure what to make of it. On the one hand they are being smart not dumping those high budget films just because. And they are simply delaying their profits but will eventually get them, unlike other businesses where the money cannot be made, the opportunity is gone. On the other hand, a year is an eternity for films. It’s possible one could bomb simply because time has passed the subject matter. Interesting indeed. Definitely not good for theaters, though I think reopening is going to be a lot further out than what we’re hoping for. Your thoughts Vidiot? Your headline made it sound very ominous.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Grosses
    DOMESTIC (53.8%)
    $5,904,366
    INTERNATIONAL (46.2%)
    $5,066,932
    WORLDWIDE
    $10,971,298

It was produced on a 2M budget, so it did very well for a small independent production.

I was never aware of it when it was in the theaters, I read about it here.

I had to wait for it to come out on DVD before I was able to see it.

Due to the young star winning her Critics Choice award and Wm Defore getting an Academy Oscar nomination, this is one of those little films that people became more aware of, further down the road.

Anyone who has not seen it and has Amazon Prime, can stream it for free.

It is still available as a rental and on DVD.

I agree, this is a film that more people need to see. It does illustrate how an ever growing segment of the population does live. And, it does so without being preachy.

The background on Kissimmee is interesting itself.

Kissimmee was a two horse town before Disney moved into the neighborhood.

Incidentally, when Disney was secretly buying up all the land for Disney World, they named their mission, The Florida Project.

After Disney World opened, the majority of visitors drove up from South Florida.

They would exit the Florida Turnpike at Kissimmee.

Originally, Disney only had two hotels on the property, with the monorail connecting them to the Magic Kingdom (they also had a separate golf resort and Camp Wilderness).

Because of this, motels, restaurants and tourist junk, sprang up all over Kissimmee. It became a boom town practically overnight.

Then, over a period of years, the Mouse built their own resorts on Disney property.

After that, a Interstate type highway was built that connected the Turnpike directly into Disney property.

Now people from South Florida could drive directly into Disney property, which now had value hotels and traffic through Kissimmee dwindled down to nothing.

I had not known about this at the time, but I was returning to S. Florida from out of state back in the spring of 2008 and drove through Kissimmee. I was shocked at the carnage I was seeing.

Practically overnight the Mouse devastated a once thriving economy. The aftermath is what you are seeing in the movie.

Everything you see in the movie is real and shot on location, though some of the names have been changed.

The abandoned apartment's that the kids get into are a condo project that had just been abandoned and has set for years like that.

Now, more than ever, people need to see what happens when a thriving economy is suddenly destroyed.

They also need to see and understand the effects this devastation has on the lives of children and their future.

8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Amazon Prime has another documentary in a similar vein surrounding the birthplace of Dr. Pepper.

Essentially this one location that developed the recipe stayed with it, even after Corporate dictated they do otherwise.

Big corporate kicks around and destroys a small town. It’s called Bottled Up: The Battle Over Dublin Dr. Pepper.

I know I’ll be watching this one about The Mouse - i recommend Bottled Up to you all.

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very interesting...thank you so much! I hope more people will see it, and I’m going to watch it again. And I think we’re all just weeks away from seeing the devastating effects of what happens when a thriving economy is destroyed. I wonder if most have contemplated what would happen in our modern society if suddenly the majority just lost their jobs and no money was coming in, with many not having money saved to live for even two weeks? Our country is about to find out. There were characters in the film that had to go out daily to either find a way to scam for money, or work those awful jobs with just one minor life situation away from being on the street, which they almost were anyway. Should be required viewing imo.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2021.... summer for most films now.
    James Bond November 2020
    No Time To Die could get delayed ( yet again).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Pretty much every major 2020 film has now been delayed to next year...

Black Widow, James Bond, Mulan and more: The movies hit by coronavirus

It's a long list, so I'm not going to reproduce it, but the article sums it up very well. It looks very bleak for studios, theaters, and people who enjoy new movies.

This is going to have repercussions for many years to come, and not good ones.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

@Vidiot just curious but does this impact you personally? Do you still work in the film industry? Are you still able to work?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disney sets new dates for almost everything.

Disney sets new dates for 'Mulan,' 'Black Widow,' 'Jungle Cruise' and more

“Artemis Fowl,” which was due in theaters at the end of May, will now debut on Disney+.

Here’s Disney’s new slate:
    • “Mulan” to July 24, 2020
    • “The French Dispatch” to Oct. 16, 2020
    • “Black Widow” to Nov. 6, 2020
    • “Free Guy” to Dec. 11, 2020
    • “West Side Story” remains on Dec. 18, 2020
    • “The Last Duel” remains on Dec. 25, 2020
    • “Eternals” to Feb. 12, 2021
    • “Bob’s Burgers” to April 9, 2021
    • “Shangi-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” to May 7, 2021
    • “Jungle Cruise” to July 30, 2021
    • “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” to Nov. 5, 2021
    • “Thor: Love and Thunder” to Feb. 18, 2022
    • “Captain Marvel 2” to July 8, 2022
    • Untitled “Indiana Jones” movie to July 29, 2022

Matthew Tate and Vidiot like this.
  15. Vidiot

Still working on remastering lots of old movies. New title coming in Monday, I believe; just delivered one this morning, a few hours ago.

ZoSoUK, budwhite, Jrr and 3 others like this.
  16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Can you spill on any of the titles???? Maybe Hearts of the West? Putney Swope? Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin in the Bronx? Allegro Non Tropo? The Man in the Glass Booth? Rhinocerous???

17. Vidiot

You could check the Vinegar Syndrome website for clues. I have been instructed to say nothing.

There have been occasions where projects I worked on didn't come out for six months, mainly because they wanted to wait to put together a lot of additional materials for the Blu-rays, so I never know release dates.

18. Vidiot

I know Pixar is crushed that Onward -- which is not that bad a film -- only made about $100 million worldwide, which is by far the lowest-grossing Pixar film ever. I think it would have done significantly better if the Coronavirus had not hit when it did. I hope it'll find a big audience via streaming on Disney+, because there are definitely far worse films out there. Hell, it's better than Cats (not that that's setting a high bar).

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It might find an audience on Disney +, that is certain however will it draw enough new subscribers to make up for lost $$$$$$$. I think Disney will be taking a financial hit with this one.

20. Vidiot

Yep. I was very surprised to find out that Onward cost more than $175 million to make. :eek:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Vidiot likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not really a surprise.

23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

That is really terrible news.

If movie theaters die, I am going to cry.

I can’t do GIANT screen and loud, immersive sound where I live. :(

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It would present a cheap opportunity for Disney to scoop up this company, instead of giving up 50% of the gross $$ to theatres they would own the whole thing.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Illegal:

Why Disney Can't Buy Theater Chains - IGN

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.