Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I was agreeing with you (in a roundabout way....)
    [​IMG]

Oatsdad likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha ha! :)

It's hard to read tone in posts. It felt like you were trying to correct my post and I was like "wait - that's exactly what I just said!" :D

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

we'll just have to disagree about agreeing!)

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

:wantsome::wantsome::wantsome:

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

JackBnimble, mrjinks and Standoffish like this.
  6. Cizin

Cizin Forum Resident

No you didn't, you came here for an argument.

7. Vidiot

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Finally watch the Tenet trailer - what can I say, late to the party!

Is it still ear-marked for mid-August? Can't help feeling that's a bit early if they want to get serious bums-on-seats.

Chances are I'll wait anyway till it hits streaming - if it was something I really wanted to see I might make the effort to go see it on the big screen, but I tend to find Nolan massively overrated.

Intertellar, you say? Dunkirk? Pish!

9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I wonder if Hamilton is what the industry would consider a hit? I tried to find info but couldn’t find much other than the number of increased Disney+ subscriptions over the July 4 weekend.

From Variety:
    “The movie premiered on the Disney Plus streaming service on Friday, July 3. From Friday through Sunday, the Disney Plus app was downloaded 752,451 times globally, including 458,796 times in the U.S., according to analytics firm Apptopia.”

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

One consideration is infection rate varies from place to place, even significantly from one area to another in larger states, though generally urban area seem to be hit hardest, especially those accommodating protesters in recent months. It might make sense to for some movies to be gradually rolled out, as they once did with foreign films or those they thought would benefit form building word of mouth. But I don't think that would work for a big budget event film.

12. Vidiot

13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I have a hard time seeing the movie-going experience coming back anytime soon. Movies in-the-can being held back for release, I dunno, at what point should this stuff just start coming out for home viewing? Even if everything re-opened tomorrow I don't think the public appetite exists right now to support the sort of ticket sales studios would be hoping to reap from titles like Tenet, Bond, Black Widow etc. etc.

Meantime, wouldn't now be a good time for the Marvels of the world to get some productions going down in New Zealand?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

I really don't see why it's okay for restaurants to offer indoor seating but not for movie theaters to reopen.

It's easier to distance in theaters with limited seating capacity, and it's also easier for patrons to wear masks.

Sure, people will likely remove the masks for snacks, but at a restaurant, you can't wear a mask - and they're smaller places with less ability to distance.

Maybe there's some rationale that makes indoor restaurants okay and not movie theaters, but it doesn't make much sense to me...

Jrr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Neither indoor dining nor movie theaters will be opening in NYC or NJ for the foreseeable future. We never made it to the indoor anything phase, so it’s a moot point here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The only restaurants I'm eating at right now are those with outdoor seating. For movies, I have little desire sitting in an enclosed space with dozens/100+ people for 2-3 hours, trusting the air system is moving air the right way to avoid the chance of infection, and I love the movie-theatre experience.

This is the sad reality we're in, and why I believe that even if theatres opened up everywhere tomorrow, attendance wouldn't be anywhere near what studios would hope it to be.

Jrr likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

I understand your POV and I'm not trying to convince anyone they should go to indoor restaurants, movie theaters or whatever.

I just wondered why various authorities seem to view indoor dining as A-OK but not indoor movies... :confused:

Karnak, Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Scale, probably. ‍:shrug:

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

'Greyhound' viewer numbers equal summer box office smash, report says | Appleinsider

Looks like Tom Hanks’s Greyhound was a hit for Apple. I watched it, and I’m glad my wife and I didn’t go to the theater to see it, which we probably would have in normal circumstances. Because it wasn’t very good. But the more people get used to seeing first run theatrical movies at home on their 4k TV, the more difficult it’s going to be get them to go back to the theatre when this pandemic is over.

Karnak and brownie61 like this.
  20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Because from the very beginning when lockdowns first began, decisions were being made based upon very flawed information.

Decisions continue to be based upon arbitrary reactions and are not based on any real scientific information.

These arbitrary decisions are discriminatory in how they are being unequally applied, allowing one business to operate and not another, which are similar in their settings.

The AMC lawsuit clearly illustrates this.

budwhite likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good post imo. In a round-a-bout way you bring up something that irritates the heck out of me. And I think it comes from our country having no real consensus on how to deal with all of this, which in and of itself is a little understandable, I guess, since we’ve not dealt with this in our time. IF it’s so important to wear a mask, and I’m not making an opinion either way, what the heck is the point if you can take it off if “insert reason.” Eating popcorn and drinking a tanker size soda is a big part of the movie going experience for me personally, so not allowing that is a deal killer for me. Call me petty, but hey, that has to be a part of it imo. So, it’s not like I don’t agree with the exception but then what’s the point of wearing one at all??? It’s okay to make someone sick if you want popcorn? Sorry, but I can’t look at it any other way. It’s silly. It’s the same thing to me as airlines keeping the middle seat empty and people feeling like that will make them safe. That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. One seat ain’t gonna make a difference.

So, for me, that’s what I don’t agree with regarding masks. It’s vitally important or it isn’t. I think we need a mandate and it needs to be the same for everyone. The way it is now, it’s hard to take any of it seriously. I’m wearing one, now, because I finally got it through my thick head that I need to do this for others, not for myself. I’m sure it helps. But you brought up kinda the same point....okay in a restaurant but not in a theatre. Or, insert many other exceptions. I feel so bad for businesses. I have two and one of mine is out of business until, at least, late 2021 if I’m lucky. The only good thing is the other one is close to making up for the other due to increased sales because of the virus and people staying indoors, which is good for the home entertainment product we build. But if you own a movie theatre what are you supposed to do? And even if somehow you figure out how to make special seating booths where you are hemetically (I know that’s spelled wrong...even my word processor can’t spell it...lol) sealed, and the theatre can be filled to capacity, now you have to rely on the studios to give you something people want to see. Good luck with that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, that’s another really good point. There is this opinion, by some, that opening things up tomorrow will magically solve all the economic issues. Frankly, I don’t think anyone really knows what would happen if we just lifted all the restrictions. My gut tells me more people are fearful of this than many think. I’m not so sure that people are going to just rush on back to their daily routines just because government says it’s safe to do so. There are a lot of issues with schools not knowing what to do. Do we really think most parents are going to send their kids back right now? It’s as if local and federal governments think they can call the shots on this stuff still. I think most people are going to be very careful no matter how we’re directed. I wasn’t really taking this very seriously at first, and most of my friends weren’t either. But I’ve learned this is a very nasty virus to get, even if you fully recover. Maybe I’m late to the party here, and others already knew this, but the more people know, the longer it’s going to be until we see a movie again in a theatre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.