Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It currently rates 84% on RT and 71 on Metacritic. Doesn’t sound like a dud.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Interesting, I wonder what the logic is behind the streaming decision. They must experience bumps in subscribers when they do this.

3. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

I think they thought "Strange" would be doing better numbers , in its 3rd weekend...
    C&D would have easily been #1 this weekend, if they did release the film in theaters ...
    another screw-up , just like "Turning Red"

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

5. brucewayneofgotham

Still thinking Dr Strange takes a huge drop next week. No question
    it is an unqualified success. Still WOM was below average
    and the legs , have not been , what they should
    have been.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In its 3rd weekend it has become the #1 movie of 2022, Worldwide gross of $803.2 million. Domestic weekend #3 drop is 48.8%.

The first Doctor Strange (2016) grossed $677.8 million worldwide which included $109.2 m from China. Take China out of the # = $568.6 million.

DS 2 is already UP 41.3% over the first if you exclude China, UP 18.5% if you leave China in.

I think Marvel/Disney are quite happy with these results, it might not reach $1B worldwide but it's a substantial improvement over the first Strange movie.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. brucewayneofgotham

After the first weekend , they were expecting $500 Mil Domestic

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I wonder what this would be based on? "They were expecting", seems like a guess, maybe wishful thinking?

I would doubt that it was based on any kind of rational reasoning?

The post pandemic box office has not been kind to movies in general. Not that it was the fault of any movie itself.

DS2 is only 25M behind The Batman, which is the #1 box office draw so far this year. It is over 100M ahead of Spiderman, which is an iconic character in both movies and the comic book realm. (That is not a fair comparison, given that Spiderman was a December release.)

I can't possibly see anyone reasonably having higher expecting, given the current movie marketplace?

The rest of this years movies are not hardly moving the meter at all.

9. brucewayneofgotham

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Who is they? Disney? do you have any information to support this?

DS2 is currently @ $342M domestic, domestic gross for DS 1 was $232.6 million.

Wk#1 May 6-12: $230.859 million
    Wk#2 May 13-19: $79.62
    Wk#3 May 20-26: $39.8 (assume 50% drop over prior week)

$20.0 + $10.0 + $5.0 + $2.5 = $397.8 = round to $400 million, it might get a bit of a Memorial Day weekend bump.

Vidiot and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can think of a few that will leave Doctor Strange eating dust.

Boom Operator likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

No doubt that Top Gun and the Dinosaur movie will top it out!

Boom Operator and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm not so sure Top Gun will do well internationally, we'll see. If the pre-sales in my immediate area are any indication it will fall well below DS2 and The Batman. Those two along with Spider-Man had sellouts or near sellouts for most of the first weekend (all showings).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

It's an all American type film by its nature, so I'm not sure how the international box office will fare?

Not being based on a comic book would suggest to me that the audience demographic will be different, more adult oriented.

This would also mean a crowd who has seen the original and a crowd that is likely not to buy advance tickets.

Consider also, often when a movie attendance is front loaded like DS2 and Morbius, they will often experience a greater percentage drop off in subsequent weeks.

15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I absolutely loved it. I haven't liked many of these Disney "reboot" things, but this nailed it. Whether it was lack of interest in the IP (ugh, I actually typed that - I meant, Chip and Dale. Rescue Rangers), I do not know. I do recall the theatrical Ducktales movie not doing well, but this is decades ago, but I also felt at the time a lack of interest and promotion from Disney.

The Chip N Dale move balanced the whole meta situation in a Roger Rabbit world and didn't seem to sacrifice quality (it's nowhere near as good as Roger Rabbit, but that film stands on its own - but don't worry, they knock Zemeckis directly in the film!) That's the kind of fun it is.

Tight story, visuals great, this one worked. Don't know how they tally individual successes with streaming these days (how to identify X is reason User signed up? Or is this for retention?). Box office receipts much easier!

Also, amazed at the licensing and clearing that occurred. I will rewatch to catch everything but man... from R. Crumb to Pickle Rick... to Warner Properties.. which seems like it would never work in todays world (HBO Max?).

They snuck a really charming winner of a film in there..

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  17. miawade

miawade Active Member

tom cruse's movie beat the doctor strange. can't imagine

18. brucewayneofgotham

to be fair , "DS" is in its 4th week

Stormrider77, Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Meh. I’m not a gambling man by nature, but what’s the spread for Top Gun underperforming expectations?

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If you want a fair comparison Dr. Strange made $201 million domestic in its first 4 days (May 6-9). Also the Monday was not a holiday.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think it does well domestically, I'm not so sure about Int'l. China has already said "no".

22. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Excellent summary. Great Saturday afternoon family film.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Big fan of Downton Abbey! I'm glad to see it doing well. I may just venture to my local theater to check it out. It'll be the 1st movie I've seen in years (in the theater)!

Vidiot and harmonica98 like this.
  24. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Boom Operator likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ugh, mentioning that turkey in relation to this has me thinking I'll be fine just waiting for it to hit Redbox. I was looking forward to this Doc Strange movie, but the little I've heard about it hasn't enticed me. Jesus, I hope its nowhere near as awful as Dark Phoenix, though.

PH416156 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.