Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

That's what they should focus on - making movies that are popular with audiences instead of trying to satisfy critics. I think critic ratings are... overrated.

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That would make for an interesting article (critics vs audience) greatest discrepancies (both ways).

The Lion King 2019 - 52% critics / 88% audience
    Venom - 30% c / 80% a
    Aladdin 2019 - 57% c / 94% a
    Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker - 52% c / 86% a
    Godzilla King of the Monsters - 42% c / 83% a

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, I think I agree with the critics on just about all of them, though I didn't think Venom was that bad.

I think there's a place for an informed critical opinion. Roger Ebert wrote a great essay on what constitutes good film criticism about 45 years ago, and among the things he wrote, he said:

1) the critic has to be familiar with a large number of "classic" films to have a background for good judgement on where the high bar is set

2) you can't criticize a film for not being the movie you expected; you have to criticize the movie the director made, not the movie you wish they had made

3) the movie has to take you to some place you've never been before and convince you that you were there (or at least make the setting feel completely realistic and believable)

4) the story has to have a beginning, middle, and end [although there are always exceptions]

5) you have to have some empathy for the characters, even if they're villainous; I think he used the example of Norman Bates in Hitchcock's Psycho as an example of a villain we can empathize with, even understand on some level

6) the story logic has to make sense, even in a fantasy or fantastic situation; there has to be a set of rules under which the story resolves

7) in most cases, the main characters have to go through a journey, so that by the time the film ends, they're different people than they were at the beginning [though again, there are some notable exceptions]

8) the film has to be technically competent, so at least the technical aspects (lighting, camerawork, sound, effects, and so on) don't get in the way of telling the story.

There were a bunch of additional rules, but those are the ones I remember. Ebert cites Louis Gionnetti's book Understanding Movies as a good introduction to having a good handle on all the basics. Anyway, the point is I think you can get a good sense of whether a film is objectively good or bad when you find a critic that you understand. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, when Siskel & Ebert were a pretty big deal, I used to say, "I don't always agree with them, but their conversations about movies are fascinating to listen to." I think the critic I agree with the most is Leonard Maltin, and it's extremely rare that he hates a movie I like, or I like a movie he hates. (Gremlins was a movie I thought was pretty good that he hates, so that's an unusual exception.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That's because Godzilla is "King of the Monsters".

Monster movies have always been synonymous with the cinema. That has never gone away and never will.

That is, unless you make "monsters" that are pussycats.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

7. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

"A film should have a beginning, a middle, and an end, but not necessarily in that order." - Jean-Luc Godard

SirCandy, Matthew Tate and Vidiot like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

On the other hand, he never shot a traditional Hollywood movie.

Meanwhile, Tom Cruise's Top Gun sequel shows no signs of slowing down, and has hit $800 million worldwide in only 3 weeks, making it the biggest film of his career in terms of box office:

'Top Gun: Maverick' Becomes Tom Cruise's Biggest Box Office Hit - Variety

Box Office: Top Gun Maverick Is Tom Cruise’s Biggest Movie Ever – The Hollywood Reporter

I would say it's got a reasonable chance of hitting $1 billion, which is something I predicted about 4-5 months ago based on early buzz. I still haven't had time to see it, but hope to get out next week once I get out from under a lot of work.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because of the "controversy" about the gay couple?

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

There are parents out there that are already not on-board with Disney these days. And that is for many reasons...

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maybe I’m going to come across as simply “not with it”, and this isn’t to show my support or non support of including that scene, but my question is this: why take a chance and include it? Isn’t it obvious it will create controversy, and likely hurt the film? Especially in a Disney property. By the same token, does creating a same sex scene going to really help it? It just seems like it’s an awfully big chance to take on a film of this nature. Why take it?

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Disney's problem isn't what the films are trying to say...it's what the company is trying to say through the films.

They used to be really good at telling stories through storyboards; now they're focusing more on trajectories. The difference is, now it's less about, "and then what happens?", and more about, "and then what needs to happen for the demographic to be satisfied with the overall direction of the story arc...?".

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Perhaps it's not a big deal with the target audience? I don't think Disney would include a scene that is likely to offend a very large % of potential viewers to the point of turning them off the movie, I don't think that younger generations (under 40) blink or even care about same sex couples.

16. Oatsdad

You could use this same rationale to never challenge audiences.

"Hey, it'll make some people unhappy if we show an interracial couple - better not do it!" :sigh:

17. Oatsdad

I'd actually hope Disney/Pixar adopted the attitude shown by Kurt Cobain's liner notes for "Incesticide" in 1992.

When Nirvana broke big, they attracted a whole new audience, and here's what Kurt said:

"If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us—leave us the f--k alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records."

If people are horrified by a same-sex kiss, then good riddance to them.

Probably too much to ask a massive corporation to feel that way, but one can hope.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I read today that Lightyear is already banned in 14 countries over exposing kids to same sex kissing. It does seem like an odd decision for a disney film.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nations that refused to allow the film to be shown include Bahrain, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria and the United Arab Emirates, Disney said. The UAE, home to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, earlier this week announced it would not allow the film to screen.

What do all of these countries have in common??

20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Sand?

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Elvis (2022). box office prediction?

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$30-50 million opening weekend domestic?

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Disney is obviously including what they think they can get away with.

This is nothing new. Disney has been projecting their agendas in movies for a while now. This would include Beauty and the Beast, Captain Marvel and Star Wars (#IV being the worst offender).

All is well and good. People voice their approval and disapproval at the box office. Let them continue as they wish...

pscreed likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you believe "their agenda" is reaching wider audiences than just die-hard fanboys with low tolerance for lifestyles outside of their own, for purposes of engaging with more customers...you may just be right...! ;)

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Actually, Disney's been projecting an agenda since 1937 with their first movie. But when the agenda was to promote a white, cis-gender, male-centered family with "wholesome" values there were few complaints.

JohnK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.