Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

But ya know... is Batgirl really so bad they couldn't just make it available for streaming on HBOMax (which was the original idea)? Trust me, there's 100 other movies that are far worse up there.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I bet The Flash with crazy-pants actor Ezra Miller is next to get shelved...

alexpop and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

te he. Fruit cake… nuts

pghmusiclover likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ditch all the DC superheroes as far as I’m concerned…b O r I n g. :)

joy stinson and Boom Operator like this.
  5. Yeah, its difficult to understand this decision, unless there is a very compelling tax right-off advantage.

joy stinson and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I think there's more going on than just a bad movie (although in fact be quite terrible. We may never know!) I think the new guy is trying to pull the plane out of a nose dive. And the means dumping fuel and pushing some of the crew out, whether or not they have parachutes.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I hear you, we can scan thru available movie listings and the amount of grade "A" garbage content that is out there is staggering. I think Batgirl getting axed from release might be related to the merger.

9. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I am not a Tom Cruise fan and I wasn't really interested in going to that movie. That movie is GOOD. Probably the best movie I've seen in a few years.

10. Vidiot

I know the WB execs are very unhappy about the number of scandals that Miller has created in the last 6 months. Never good when an actor in a $200 million dollar movie stirs up trouble, jeopardizing the release of the film because of bad publicity.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Too expensive to re-shoot with another actor, they will release as is. Ezra is done as The Flash, no one will go near him moving forward.

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

He threw away his career. It’s jaw dropping.

14. Vidiot

I have rarely seen anybody crash and burn as quickly as Ezra Miller. Good actor, too (from what we saw in one of the last Superman/Batman movies).

WB should've locked the guy up on a resort for a year until the movie came out, so he couldn't get out and drive drunk or try to seduce somebody or get in a bar fight.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disney + raising prices and offering a lower tier service with ads.

At this point I think Disney will adopt a theatres first policy for all major movies, it's clear that individual titles at this point will have minimal to no impact on subscriber growth, certainly not enough to cover production/marketing costs for $100 million plus movies (Marvel/Pixar/20th Century etc).

they added 5.1 million subs in Q3 assuming the full rate of $8/mth = $489.6 million/year in additional revenue

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/dis...percent-as-part-of-new-pricing-structure.html

• Disney+ will no ads is increasing $3 per month to $10.99.
    • Disney+ with ads will be $7.99 per month.
    • A bundle of Disney+ and Hulu, both with ads, will be $9.99 per month.
    Disney unveiled a new pricing structure that incorporates an advertising-supported Disney+ as part of an effort to make its streaming business profitable.

Starting Dec. 8 in the U.S., Disney+ with commercials will be $7.99 per month — currently the price of Disney+ without ads. The price of ad-free Disney+ will rise 38% to $10.99 — a $3 per month increase.

The price of Hulu without ads will rise by $2 per month, from $12.99 to $14.99, effective as of Oct. 10. Hulu with ads will go up by $1 per month, rising from $6.99 to $7.99.

Disney announced last month that ESPN+ with ads would go up 43% to $9.99 per month.

The price increases reflect the growing operating loss for Disney’s streaming services. Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ combined to lose $1.1 billion in the fiscal third quarter, $300 million more than the average analyst estimate, reflecting the higher cost of content on the services. The increased operating loss occurred even while Disney added about 15 million new Disney+ subscribers in the quarter, about 5 million more than analysts estimated.

Disney has previously stated it plans to lose money on Disney+ until 2024.

Overall, the company’s quarterly results, also announced Wednesday, beat analysts’ expectations on the top and bottom lines. Disney+ subscriptions rose to 152.1 million during the most recent period, higher than Wall Street’s projections of 147 million.

Counting Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu (which is partially owned by Comcast), Disney has 221 million streaming subscribers

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

WB stepped in and covered this up

but they can only do so much

Hawaii couple drop restraining order against Ezra Miller

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. brucewayneofgotham

wake me up , when Marvel makes a film on the level of ; The Batman , Joker , The Dark Knight , Superman and Superman II , Batman , Batman Returns , History Of Violence , Watchmen , The Suicide Squad , The Snyder Cut, and on and on .....

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Vidiot

I bet 10 Marvel movies made more money than all of them combined. So it's more about the business (and money) than anything else. I'd also argue that The Avengers: Endgame was a pretty damned good film, as was the first Iron Man movie.

BTW, if you believe Martin Scorsese, none of these are serious films at all -- all of them are "theme park rides."

Opinion | Martin Scorsese: I Said Marvel Movies Aren’t Cinema. Let Me Explain. (Published 2019)

19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The whole Top Gun thing reminds me of Titanic in terms of what is going on at the box office. I remember that movie had incredible staying power and was in theaters for a very long time. I don't think Top Gun has fallen out of the top five in any one week, though I may be wrong. But I do know it was in the top five for last weekend.
    I never saw Titanic and have no interest in Top Gun, just an observation from the couch.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The big difference is that "Titanic" didn't fall out of the top four until it'd been in theaters for 4 months.

Even then, it wouldn't drop lower than 6th for another month, and it took half a year for it to leave the top 10.

"Maverick" was # 6 last weekend, so it spent 10 weekends in the top 5.

"Titanic" didn't leave the top 5 until its 20th weekend.

"Maverick" has been a big hit, but c'mon - it's nothing compared to the phenomenon that was "Titanic".

We'd seen nothing like "Titanic" since the original "Star Wars" 20 years earlier.

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A rather quiet weekend - TGM continues to surprise, I think it got a little bump from an IMAX re-release.

Bullet Train - $114.5 million w/wide
    DC League - $109.7 million w/w
    TGM - $1.378 Billion w/w in 13th place All-Time Worldwide (not adjusted for ticket price inflation)
    Thor - $720.5 million w/w
    Nope - $113.9 million w/w

[​IMG]

22. brucewayneofgotham

think it all came down to Michael Keaton, Keaton in the bat-suit , should happen in a bigger type film

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No, it was a business/tax decision related to the merger. I don't think they care about when or how Keaton returns in the bat-suit.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. brucewayneofgotham

I understand this , but if the film was great and going to open to 100 Mil+, they would have released the film
    And I do think they care about "Keaton" in the bat-suit. One look at the last Spider-Man film, and the numbers (numbers that will not be seen in the US, again , maybe ever)

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Absolutely beautiful film, we just saw it. Reviews are terrible, but audience reviews are very good. And the film is approaching 90 mil. Not bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.