Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Iger also had some pointed words regarding Star Wars, movies are in "development" however they won't get made unless the quality is up to par.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kang the conqueror?
    Just after watching Creed, A much better film. At least unpretentious.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, he's now saying that Disney is aiming for "quality, not quantity." What that says to me is, "we're going to lay off a lot of people and spend less money."

Disney CEO Bob Iger Weighs In On Marvel and Star Wars Sequels – The Hollywood Reporter

“I’m really pleased that the support that I’m getting from the content creators of the company is significant and real, and it comes in the form of reducing the expense per content, whether it’s a TV series or a film, where costs have just skyrocketed in a huge way and not a supportable way in my opinion. They all agree to that,” Iger said, adding that it was also about “understanding how much volume we need, reducing how much we make. So it’s how much we spend on what we make and how much we make.”

“And as we look to reduce the content that we’re creating for our own platforms, there probably are opportunities to license to third parties,” Iger said. “For a while that was verboten or something we couldn’t possibly do, because we were so favoring our own streaming platforms. But if we get to a point where we need less content for those platforms, and we still have the capability of producing that content, why not use it to grow revenue? And that’s what we would likely do.”

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Almost sounds like he's creating an exit strategy to shut down Disney +, I guess they're learning that the streaming business is NOT a license to print money, it's more like a license to LOSE $.

5. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

It really does. Amazingly we’re less than 3.5 years into Disney+ and the takeaways seem to be:
    1. It’s a big money loser
    2. These big film budgets don’t scale to streaming
    3. Disney has over saturated the audiences of some of their most valuable IPs with too much content
    4. Disney has hurt their theatrical prospects by training customers to wait for streaming
    Disney has the resources to pull themselves out of the hole they’re in, but they’ve got a tough road ahead. These next few years are going to challenge them.

McLover and Deuce66 like this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

They need go back to way it was a private ceremony ..
    Here's your award, now get out..:D

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Disney aiming at quality over quantity. What decade was this last true? Why else has Disney acquired these IP's? They acquired them to exploit them, plain and simple.

What else is new? Not only have they oversaturated the market for these IP's, they have made a concerted effort to corrupt the core cannon behind these franchises.

8. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

And the award for the best non sequitur goes to Mirrorblade.

9. Vidiot

I think what it really means is, "uh-oh... we're losing too much money! Let's spend less money and be a lot more risk-adverse from now on!"

RSteven, McLover and Deuce66 like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I would kiss Apple TV goodbye sometime soon, too.

11. Vidiot

Naaaaa, Apple is still worth $2.38 trillion dollars. That's far more than every movie studio and network on earth, plus Amazon ($945 billion). By comparison, Apple spends so comparatively little on TV, it's like pocket change. They've spent ten times more on developing a self-driving car, and that's not even a product yet.

12. SandAndGlass

Apple has become a religion. You can bet they have plans...

Litejazz53 and McLover like this.
  13. Vidiot

Apple is building a 500,000-square feet office space for Apple TV in Santa Monica in the next year or two. That's a huge expense in a pretty expensive part of LA, and it's what I'd call a very serious commitment...

Apple hopes to break ground on new L.A. office campus in 2023

cowboy72, RSteven and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

I used to sell Apple products...

RSteven likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Crack To The Egg and McLover like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Too bad they didn't produce an industrial musical. "Everything's Coming Up Profits" for these people. Apple would have the best one if they had the guts to produce one.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I agree. I like Strong Green Pecs and I can not lie either. Especially since we have Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month right now. I can rock Green Pecs and be proud. Find my own inner Hulk!

pscreed likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I miss the days when a Pixar new movie was exciting, fresh, and innovative. And the characters and writing was smart, sophisticated, and subtle. Movies you had to watch multiple times. Tell all your friends about how cool they were. Kids and grownups both had things to enjoy about them. And the wit and humor top notch.

19. Vidiot

I have a love/hate relationship with Apple: we make a very good living with an all-Mac office, but I'm not happy with how Apple is run as a corporate entity, I think they do a lot of anti-user things (on the road to profit), and I find their security/permissions problems pernicious. But Windows is getting to be every bit as bad.

Getting this back to the hits and bombs of 2023: as far as Hollywood is concerned, every Hollywoo client/producer/editor I've dealt with in the last five years has been exclusively Macintosh. So they've successfully wooed the creative types into their Apple web.

I don't know WTF has happened with Pixar lately. From The Good Dinosaur on, I think they've kind of come off the rails. I'd blame it on them firing John Lasseter (over "Me Too" charges), but that was after 2015.

SandAndGlass, Alan G. and McLover like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Finding Nemo and Frozen are very close to home. It's made kids more aware of characters with differences.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

hmmm...... so the US really is the only country that matters for BO
    Avatar II ...maybe broke even at best
    and that is a big maybe

they will gut the budget for #3
    that is for sure

22. Vidiot

Well, Avatar 2 cost somewhere around $400 million (plus $60 million in R&D), but made $2.284 billion dollars -- and counting. Generally the multiplier for blockbusters is 2.5X to break even, but it's fair to say that Avatar 2 is well over 4X cost. That means it made money... big money.

More than $1.5 billion of Avatar 2's gross box office came from overseas, so the overseas market was extremely important; "only" about $700 million came from the U.S. audience.

23. brucewayneofgotham

so Disney made aprx 500 million at best from International
    and 350 million domestically

so 850 million or so
    is what Disney
    is bringing home on this
    a $400 million profit

• Rentals (the portion of box office that studios receive) is roughly 50% domestically and 33% internationally. Rentals in key markets are poor however. For example, in China, films are distributed by a government entity and studios only receive 10% of box.
    • Since it differs by country, all we know is that the average is somewhere around 1/3. This means that the foreign box office receipts (in this case) are 100% essential for the success of a huge blockbuster

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The hilarious thing is that they bought Marvel and Star Wars to attract a more male demographic, as Disney was predominately a female franchise. To create a streaming platform they needed to bring in the families with boys.

Makes perfect sense, you have content for all. They then proceed to replace nearly every male character with a Mary Sue and making new content aimed at girls. Which kind of makes the whole purchase of those IPs original purchase pointless.

It takes a level of incompetence to kill the Star Wars film franchise so quickly and ruin the MCU after such a good (pre political) start.

I mean what idiot goes into a toy shop and sees all these great Marvel heroes and thinks 'these are hugely popular, young boys love Cap and Iron Man and Hulk etc, we can make a fortune here' and then decides to get rid of them all and replace them with mostly women that no-one cares about in the slightest?

Disney has an awful lot of work to do to win back fans but considering they still have the same people in charge I doubt they have a clue how to fix it.

Its good to see they are cancelling the likes of Echo and Harkness, who on earth wants these things. Bad content just destroys the brand.

WB seem to be starting to licence out the DC characters, I think Disney should consider the same as the only TV shows of genuine quality were made by Netflix.

25. brucewayneofgotham

People don't care about the male/female thing , maybe some gay men care (which is perfectly ok),
    the average person going into these films, they just want to be entertained
    the 1st Wonder Woman , 1st Captain Marvel ,
    showed
    if you make a good movie
    people will show up

make a good comic book
    people will buy it

I do realize there is a sub-section of comic book/movie fans , that are gay (and that is perfectly fine)
    I think they even produce their own non-Marvel/DC books to great success
    with very Muscular Men and very little content that would appeal to women
    what is it called? Comics-Gate or something like that?