Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Lawrence works surprisingly sporadically given her fame and age.

Only 5 movies over the last 6 years: 1 a year with 0 in 2020.

2 of those 5 were ensemble movies, so she's only been the clear lead in 3: "mother!", "Red Sparrow" and "Causeway".

Only "Sparrow" was a box office disappointment of those 3, as it had hoped-for hit on it.

No one in their right mind would've expected the freaky "mother!" to sell lotsa tickets, and "Causeway" was a streaming movie with only token theatrical.

So IMO, it's unclear what kind of box office draw Lawrence actually is.

I would agree that "Passengers" appeared to indicate she and/or Chris Pratt can't "open" movies on their own, and the fact "Sparrow" didn't do great business points in that direction too.

But then again, she works so infrequently - and picks enough non-commercial projects - that it's hard to say.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Those big budget cgi jobs 2022 were awful.
    Some great arthouse films 2022.

Let’s see what’s in store 2023!!!!

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

MI and Oppeheimer only ones that seem to be actual movies ( and possibly good ones) and not franchise fodder.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nothing grabs me.
    Theatre tickets ?
    Ant Man
    Guardians
    Rest meh.
    Saying that I’ll probably see a couple.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Evil Dead Rise thats it..
    The rest i don't care...

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

mBen989 likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

The 7th movie in a 27-year old movie series isn't "franchise fodder"? :confused:

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I doubt that the audience going to see Avatar 2 is the audience for Barbie -- Lord knows I wouldn't be caught dead at Avatar 2...

RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  11. I'm fine with sequels but the lack of original films is a bit disturbing. They've all gone to streaming it seems...at least there is an option for them to be viewed but, man, it's like McDonald's in movie land.
    I wouldn't be caught dead going to Barbie either.

brownie61 likes this.
  12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m sure there will be original films in theaters, you just have to be quick because they seem to last only a week or so. At least that’s the way it is by me.

Me either, and I loved Barbie dolls when I was a kid back in the 60’s. But I don’t want to see Margot Robbie play one in a film. Ick. I outgrew Barbie fifty years ago.

Boom Operator and wayneklein like this.
  13. I felt the same way about GI Joe and the attempts to make those into a film franchise; I'd rather see interesting original dramas not based around toys.

Yeah, I think so as well unfortunately, unless they are high profile films they will disappear quickly as you noted or be scheduled to "premiere" on streaming/for rent way too soon. It ultimately hurts the films and the industry's decision to make them unfornately. I'm looking forward to "Oppenheimer" by Chris Nolan to see what he does with a biographical drama. We see far too few of those nowadays unless a high-profile director is willing to make them and, even then, they have to struggle (not in Nolan's case given his critical and profitably recognized films) to get them made.

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  14. Half of those films (or nearly that) sound like junk to me. The fact that they are "most anticipated" movies to the low bar being set for films.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I stand corrected. Or clarified. Referring just to Oppenheimer' (not my misspelling of 'Oppeheimer'. That would be the controversial documentary on growing up in Mayberry and the discovery that Opie's real dad was Otis.)

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd like to see a slew of movies come out with numbers in the titles, but they're not sequels.

Remember, Adam 12 ran for years on NBC...without an Adam 11 in sight.

And I suspect there really was a Capricorn Two, but...it was silenced, and nobody knows about it. Conspiracy!

drh likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

"Avatar 2" has such a broad audience that the "Avatar 2"/"Barbie" Venn Diagram will come with a lot of overlap.

In this case, I mean the "Barbie" audience will inevitably include a lot of people who saw "A2".

18. Oatsdad

Don't judge it based on preconceived notions of a silly kiddie movie.

With Gerwig as director and Baumbach as writer and Robbie and Gosling as the leads, there's no way this'll be some dopey dumbed down "cinematic product"...

Plan9 and wayneklein like this.
  19. Oatsdad

I'll drink to that! And then check myself into the jail cell to sleep it off...

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, all I can say is, I hope to high heaven nobody ever made a Saturn One or Saturn Two--or, if somebody did, that it never makes its way to me!

Dillydipper likes this.
  21. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I'm really interested in Oppenheimer. Isn't this one coming in 2023?

Vidiot and RSteven like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Yup. July 21.

RSteven likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And Vanity Fair weighs in...

The 26 Most Anticipated Movies of 2023

M3GAN - January 6 (Blumhouse/Universal)
    Missing - January 20 (Sony)
    Magic Mike’s Last Dance - February 10 (Warner Bros.)
    Cocaine Bear - February 24 (Universal Pictures)
    John Wick: Chapter 4 - March 24 (Lionsgate)
    The Super Mario Bros. Movie - April 7 (Universal)
    Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret - April 28 (Lionsgate)
    Creed III - May 23 (Warner Bros.)
    Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - June 2 (Sony)
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - June 30 (Disney)
    Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 - July 14 (Paramount)
    Barbie - July 21 (Warner Bros.)
    Oppenheimer - July 21 (Universal)
    Next Goal Wins - September 22 (Searchlight Pictures)
    Dune: Part Two - November 3 (Warner Bros.)
    Asteroid City - Date TBD (Focus Features)
    Beau Is Afraid - Date TBD (A24)
    Killers of the Flower Moon - Date TBD (Apple)
    The Holdovers - Date TBD (Focus Features)
    Maestro - Date TBD (Netflix)
    Napoleon - Date TBD (Apple)
    Peter Pan & Wendy - Date TBD (Disney)
    Passages - Date TBD (Studio TBD)
    Poor Things - Date TBD (Searchlight)
    Rustin - Date TBD (Netflix)
    Shirley - Date TBD (Netflix)

I'd say the films fall into 3 categories for me: 1) can't miss, 2) probably won't do well, and 3) don't care/won't watch/have no clue.

I saw the trailer for Cocaine Bear over the weekend, and it's hysterically funny. Well, I guess as funny as the subject matter could be (bear eats about 50 pounds of pure cocaine and goes on a 4-5 day killing spree in a rural town). John Wick can't miss, the new Spiderman cartoon will do well, I think people will go to see Indiana Jones out of curiosity and it'll do OK. I hope Oppenheimer will do well -- the trailers are phenomenally good. I liked (but didn't love) the first recent Dune movie, and really liked the last half-hour; if Dune 2 is as good as that and gets better, it should do fine. Maestro, about the controversial life of composer/conductor Leonard Bernstein, is a tough call, as I think is Napoleon with Joaquin Phoenix. (The Joker? King of France? Why not?) Artsy/indie films are tough to predict. Famously, Kubrick tried for 10-12 years to develop a film on Napoleon's life and never pulled it off. Can producer/director Ridley Scott manage to go where Kubrick couldn't?

I would pretty much guarantee that Mission: Impossible will go through the roof. The trailer for Barbie was amusing, but it's basically a one-joke premise, like an 8-minute SNL sketch dragged out to 90 minutes ("Hey -- what if Barbie & Ken were real people? What would that be like? Are they anatomically realistic?"). The last couple of Rocky/Creed movies did well, but they're not interesting to me; I think Stallone sat this one out over a dispute over money, but he's got a hit TV show, so he's not hurting.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to see yet another remake/sequel/reboot of Peter Pan, and I'm stunned that Disney would try yet again to do it. The rest of them look very questionable: I saw the Super Mario Brothers trailer last weekend as well, and the audience went *crickets* when it finished. Looks awful.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    RSteven likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Yes, and here's the teaser trailer, which looks great:

RSteven and cdcollector87 like this.
  25. Vidiot

There's been a few massive bombs where they tried to create a franchise that would go on for years. I think Solo was one (about the life of young Han Solo), and I'd say Disney's Rocketeer was another. The 2012 Universal movie Battleship sank a half dozen careers, including star Taylor Kitsch. I think Disney anticipated making many more Lone Ranger and John Carter films, and that blew up in their faces. Cowboys & Indians was one of Jon Favreau's few failures, and it was a bomb of unprecedented size, plus major stars like Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford and a high-concept idea that you'd swear couldn't miss. But boy, did it ever.

And I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch out.

RSteven likes this.