Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Saw GotG3 today.

See, I didn't think it was a bit long for reasons I previously described.

When a movie moves along and retains my attention 2 1/2 hours is not long at all.

Most definitely there will be. Rocket will now be their leader. In the movie they said, "there will always be a need for Guardians".

Having Rocket as point man, introduces a new more flexible format. They can bring other Guardians in and out of future movies as they see fit.

I really thought it was an all around well done movie, not a well done superhero movie, a well done movie, period!

The past few years, I gave been sitting through movies that I had high hopes for. Only to come away thinking "that was OK".

To me, GotG3 really put it all together. It had every element that I would expect a really good movie to have.

To anyone who might be dissuaded by the reviews, just go see it.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’ve not read any bad reviews( not gone out my way to find them). This was the MCU film I was waiting for after Endgame didn’t think it’d take a few years.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I know Robert Rodriguez had been developing Hypnotic for more than 10 years and only recently got the deal made. It cost more than $65 million, and so far the box office results are dismal (under $2.5 million).

4. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

20 years. And it looks like it.

Ben Affleck could have done this movie instead of Paycheck with John Woo back in 2003 and history would be unchanged.

5. SandAndGlass

From the GotG3 thread...

6. alexpop

i went into the film blind read no reviews seen no trailers.
    gut instinct. subsequently read great reviews.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think GOTG3 has surprised a few people.

The only complaints I hear is that they could have easily cut 20 minutes and it's not suitable for young kids.

But they were not expecting it to do so well, the third lowest second week drop for Marvel.

It's completely down to having a director who cares about the characters and was given the freedom to make the film he wanted, and it's doing well now through very good word of mouth.

The final total we'll judge in time but I hope Disney take note. Make a decent film and people will see it and cut the crap.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's "PG-13"! That clearly means "not suitable for young kids"!

Drives me nuts that people get in a tizzy that every MCU movie isn't fine 'n' dandy for 6 year olds! :wtf:

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think Fast X might push up the ridiculous factor even more based on what is seen in this new trailer.

10. alexpop

Movie hit- 2023?

Meg 2

11. alexpop

Statham‘s The Expendables 2023 should make some serious coin.

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Forecast for the upcoming weekend.

Current $$ from The Numbers:

Guardians
    Domestic Box Office $230,843,530
    International Box Office $315,045,818
    Worldwide Box Office $545,889,348

Super Mario
    Domestic Box Office $537,746,195
    International Box Office $689,364,490
    Worldwide Box Office $1,227,110,685

[​IMG]

14. SandAndGlass

Super Mario Brothers is slaying everything in its path! Not only is it doing a superb job at the box office, it cost only $100M to produce. So, currently we are 12x production cost.

15. Vidiot

Uh-oh... the new Fast & Furious 10 is not getting positive vibes from Puck:

Fast X is tracking to just $60 million domestic ($10 million less than F9, which opened in Covid-ravaged May 2021) on a budget of well over $300 million. I’ll take the over with the hope that Universal is low-balling.

Note that the word is that Fast X is said to have cost as much as $450 million, which is beyond unbelievable for a big action film with 10 featured actors. This is about the same production budget as Avatar 2, which took upwards of 6-7 years to make.

I hear Vin Diesel is getting ready to jump out a window -- without a car.

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

$450M??? :eek: Wow. I read several times that between his salary and bonus points, Vin Diesel gets a mejestic slice of the pie. The reality is he's close to 60 y.o. and not really a bankable actor outside these films, his last non F & F film, Bloodshot, was horrible and tanked at the B.O.
    But he must have good people working for him and he's a better businessman than an actor since he was able to obtain producer duties since the 3rd or 4th F & F film. He's building his pension.

Of course I don't know what contracts Universal signed, but I'm surprised they're still making these films as they're not as profitable as once were (pre-pandemic). Jason Momoa is in the new one and he isn't cheap, just as Jason Statham, Charlize Theron.

And Helen Mirren that I presume to be royally rewarded for what is essentially, as usual, a cameo. Still, $450M is absurd.

17. Vidiot

There's a long, complicated story about how the original writer/director (Jason Lin) walked off the set after a confrontation with Diesel last year, and having to work around that and do "additional shoots" and other problems did not help the budget. The buzz hasn't been that great, either.

These guys say that Fast X cost $340 million:

How Much Fast X Cost To Make (& What Box Office It Needs To Succeed)

But you'd have to factor in the $100M+ they're spending on promotion. The "standard multiplier" for blockbusters in the stratospheric price range is at least 2X or 2.5X, so it's fair to guess that the film will have to make $1 billion to break even (though the article says $850M). The previous one made $726M, but the one before that (The Fate of the Furious, aka F8) actually did make $1.236 billion. Can they do it again? These movies had been budgeted at $250M or so, so rocketing to $350+ seems crazy to me. And the trailer looks haaaaaaarible... but I've been wrong before.

If the opening weekend is only $60M domestic, I think it's gonna have a hard row to hoe. But these films do really well internationally, so there is that:

'Fast X' Races Towards $280 Million Opening Weekend at Global Box Office

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Vin has got to be the luckiest SOB in Hollywood. A franchise that has made him a fortune. Without that he would be probably be doing some cop show on TV. I wonder how much he gets from Marvel for Groot considering anyone could do that.

Pitch Black is still his best film.

19. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Universal needs international audiences for F&F X to be a success. There will be at least one more F&F movie, but two more if X does well or even ok.

WOM seems to be positive with fans of the series, with the biggest criticism being the lack of a fulfilling ending.

20. alexpop

Watched it earlier.
    Better than Fast 9.
    But ..the franchise has done an infinity war /endgame as in pt1/pt2. Action scenes were incredible. Cast excellent… even James Momoa was good ( don’t usually like him).

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  21. MikaelaArsenault

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wow. That's half a billion less.

Indeed. It's a rarely mentioned fact that his carreer got a boost thanks to Steven Spielberg, no less.

It's unknown to me how, from hired hand, he could make it to producer of the F&F films.

Nope, it's "Saving private Ryan" or "The iron giant" :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I thought Vin was fun in The Pacifier, but I have no interest whatsoever in seeing any of these Fast and Furious movies.

Matthew Tate likes this.