Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hypnotic?
    Just after watching it.
    Started of promising, but yeah, sucked.
    Must have hypnotized to spend the money to see it.. lol.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4 day forecast for Memorial Day long weekend

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Didn't see all of them, but I'm fine with kung fu movies that use wires and elaborate effects and all that. I accept it as part of the genre. "Realistic" isn't exactly what I mean: BELIEVABLE is the word I used.

Can't accept the Fast & Furious movies because they're too stupid. If you can't buy into my opinion, that's fine -- let's agree to disagree.

4. alexpop

Rest of the year goodies .. least summer.

Meg 2
    The Expendables 4

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Wasn't the first Meg an incredible bomb? By that I mean, not only did it do extra poorly at the box office, but it was one of those super expensive SFX movies to boot.

I was at least going to see it. I just bought my AMC premium pass. I went to another movie and the next day, Meg had vanished.

How did this get greenlighted for a sequel?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"The MEG" made $530 million WW.

$145 million of that was US.

So a hit - not a massive hit, as it was pricey, but a hit.

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. SandAndGlass

As a comment, the narrative on this has greatly changed over the years.

"Romeo" was of consent age in Europe at the time. As "Juliet" was not, the production had to get government permission to do her scene.

The narrative that they were going to use body suits and were pressured into doing the scenes nude at the last minute was totally false. Being a minor, I doubt that the scene was shot without Hussy's parents being in the loop.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I'm hoping to see both Elemental and The Dial of Destiny next month in the theater. It would be my first Pixar on the big screen since the awful Toy Story 4 and my first Indy movie on the big screen since The Last Crusade back in '89.

10. Vidiot

Gee, I dunno... we still have Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Flash, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Elemental, Extraction 2, Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning, Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon... there's a lot happening in 2023.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think the judge was right in dismissing the case.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. alexpop

Spider - Verse ? James Gunn liked the first animation one. I’ll pass on Dial Of Destiny .. wasn’t impressed with trailer.
    Part one Mission Impossible looked kinda meh, but hey only trailer ( so I’ll see it regardless:)). Oppenheimer ? Not my cup of tea( think Bomb ) Expendables 4 Same old meat two veg, but yeah I’ll see it. Killers of Flower Moon ? Looking forward to it, but blurb says “ western “ set in 1920. The Flash was going to see this and that’s before I found Nic Cage is in it playing Superman:) Elemental ( cartoon ) should do well. Extraction 2: wasn’t impressed with the first one. Extraction 1 make any money ?

Meg 2 should make bucks $$$$$.
    Maybe not stateside. But Meg 1 did great in Europe / China. Meg 2 trailer looks fun.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

Supposedly Extraction 1 became the most-watched original film in Netflix's history, with 100 million viewers during the first four weeks.Nothing special as a movie but had some good fight scenes so i'll watch the sequel.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Looking forward to OPPENHEIMER, for which I'll make a rare visit to the actual theater.

My only concern is that Christopher Nolan movies have historically featured earbleed volume levels and dialogue-obscuring mixes. I was surprised how bad the sound mix was for DUNKIRK and looking around online, it appeared this was not a problem specific to my theater, nor this Nolan movie.

17. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a blast, and much more enjoyable than many of the live-action Marvel films. With the medium of animation, the filmmakers were able to make a film that looks like a comic book in motion. There's one astonishing sequence that looks like a Bill Sienkiewicz comic in animation, though I don't think Bill Sienkiewicz had anything to do with the movie. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Doh!

The trailer looked dynamite -- I'm looking forward to more Spiderverse.

Even the trailer we saw had low dialogue levels, to the point where it was hard to understand what was being said.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  20. SandAndGlass

Perhaps an engineer in the editing suite could nudge the volume pot up a notch or two?

Perhaps subtitles?

21. alexpop

Wait … dvd lol :)

22. Vidiot

Not without director approval.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Vidiot

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

mBen989 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Vidiot

Depends what you call "live action." The photorealistic remake of Lion King went through the roof.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.