Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2024

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shawn, Nov 18, 2023.

1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Zilla/Kong still falling on RT. Down to 55%.

I didn't even know it existed. But it came out 4 months ago on Apple TV, and features Kurt Russell. Who ought to have been in the movie, as he's a better actor than anyone they've used in the movies. Interestingly, it has Kurt's 37-year-old son playing his younger self. Another angle that's more interesting than what they're doing in the movies now. The series has 89% on RT, which is by far the highest score in this franchise. Granted, TV series get rated much higher on average than movies. But I do wonder if it's worth watching. Unfortunately, it still seems based on this human agency that controls the monsters. Which is a concept I utterly despise. The monsters should be wreaking havoc on people who don't have any power over them.

RSteven likes this.
  2. Poseidon

Poseidon Forum Resident

this is going to open better then anyone expected. surprised , in a good way. guess, I will have to watch that Godzilla TV series, tonight

MichaelH likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"-1" did have advertising. I saw trailers for it.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

None of the WB Godzilla/Kong movies have been any damned good.

And "GxK" keeps that losing streak intact. I thought it was a snore, as even the big CG monster battles were kinda dull.

Saw it IMAX - surprisingly crowded for 3PM on a Thursday, and the crowd applauded at the end!

Didn't seem to be snarky applause, so I guess the crowd really enjoyed it! :shrug:

JediJones likes this.
  5. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The Cinemascores for Godzilla, Skull Island and King of the Monsters are all B+, but the first Godzilla vs. Kong got an A. Seems like the people who show up to these movies don't care about anything except seeing those two creatures on the screen together. Looks like WB was right to try for a do-over after GVK got pinched by the pandemic. And unfortunately we're probably going to see this lousy director come back to do a third one now.

RSteven likes this.
  6. Poseidon

Poseidon Forum Resident

Locally adding a lot of showtimes, at the expense of Dune (in its 5th week, anyway). This seems to be a crowd-pleaser. Expect WB/Legendary to announce Justice League Vs Godzilla / Kong , Monday. Only 1/2 kidding. Though the Comic Book series is doing about 250k, with various printings. The collected edition sales when released will be through the roof.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Godzilla x Kong: CinemaScore is A-

55% from critics (163 reviews) / 92% from the audience on RT

Headed towards a $75 million domestic opening according to Deadline !!

MichaelH likes this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Didn't see this coming. Apparently no one did!) Even if a big 2nd week drop off will probably still do ok

RSteven and Vidiot like this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Probably should have after theaters starting shoving Dune 2 off the IMAX screens. Godzilla has just taken the house!

10. Poseidon

Poseidon Forum Resident

Not happening , word of mouth is through the roof
    It will definitely hurt Dune 2 , somewhat
    but that has already done ok

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, Godzilla X Kong is doing surprisingly well in theaters:

Box Office: 'Godzilla x Kong: New Empire' $75M, 2nd Best Monsterverse Opening

The show is Monarch on Apple TV, which ties into the previous Kong Island and some other Legendary Entertainment movies:

I (reluctantly) watched Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, and I can speak with confidence when I say that the show deflates when Kurt Russell (or his son) isn't on the screen. Everything else is superfluous to the story. But the scenes with Russell are good. I kept yelling, "how the F old is he now? 95?" And all of that is completely answered. Know going in the show is lame.

JediJones likes this.
  12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

That's great news for a well deserving movie.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Estimated Domestic Weekend Box Office Top 7 for Mar. 29 - Mar. 31, 2024

1. Godzilla X Kong - $80.00M - $194M Worldwide total
    2. Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - $15.70M - 65% drop from weekend #1 - $108.5M Worldwide t
    3. Dune Part Two - $11.10M - 37% drop from weekend #4 - $626.1M Worldwide t
    4. Kung Fu Panda 4 - $10.20M - $347.3M Worldwide t
    5. Immaculate - $3.27M
    6. Arthur the King - $2.40M
    7. Late Night with the Devil - $2.21M

14. Poseidon

Poseidon Forum Resident

near double of what they thought
    the experts have been pretty awful this
    year
    predicting

RSteven likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Shocking to consider that Godzilla X Kong has already beaten Ghostbusters worldwide.

I think Dune 2 did much better than I ever expected, Ghostbusters did worse than I expected, and Godzilla X Kong did better than anybody expected. But that's what makes life interesting: it's impossible to predict with certainty how well a movie will do, and in Hollywood... nobody knows anything.

RSteven and unclefred like this.
  16. Poseidon

Poseidon Forum Resident

You don't think they may have expected 300+ Mil domestic for Dune 2?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I said Dune 2 made more money in a shorter time than I expected. Godzilla X Kong made more money than anybody expected.

18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

It seems like this is the first year where almost everything closed for Easter Sunday. All the big stores and restaurants. That seemed to only be reserved for Christmas and Thanksgiving Day in the past. That may have had an effect on boosting Zilla/Kong. And it's very likely the studios use future Easter weekends as a slot for bigger tentpoles than they used to before. Last year's Easter was also huge with Mario, so this seems to be a growing trend. We probably won't see a repeat of 2019 anytime soon where the biggest Easter release was The Curse of La Llorona. Zilla/Kong is the fifth biggest Easter weekend after Batman v Superman, Mario, F&F 7 and Fate of the Furious.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    RSteven likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Great result for Kong. Didn't think the love was there for it, but I guess I'm wrong. Easter obviously helps a bit, not much else to take the kids to.

Great to see Dune still making money!

RSteven likes this.
  20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I was skeptical about an interested audience for frozen Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters goes Hawaiian! could be next.

I wonder if the success of Godzilla Minus flowed over into Godzilla X Kong?

RSteven likes this.
  21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I was wondering that too. It definitely helped keep Godzilla's name in the public eye. But it seems a stretch to say that the hype over that much lower-grossing movie had any big influence on the success of this one. I feel like this box office is exactly what the first GvK was heading towards getting, until it got dumped as the first post-pandemic release somewhat prematurely before Regal had even reopened its theaters. I guess everyone who saw that movie felt like it would've been better on the big screen. They probably should have at least done a double-feature screening with the new one to give people the chance to see them both in theaters.

I could go for that! But I think Ghostbusters European Vacation might be more like it. Lots of spooky castles and ancient legends in Europe.

Ghostbusters seems to be about where Star Trek was in the '80s and '90s. It's got an intensely loyal fan base that knows every detail of the canon, and love dressing up in the costumes and collecting prop replicas (other people are baffled by this fixation on something that was "just" a TV show or movie). But even the fans constantly debate which movies are actually good. Only about every other movie seems to be well-received. Meanwhile, the franchise can't compete on the level of the broad, mass appeal blockbusters that it aspires to, like Star Wars and the MCU. And that means it becomes subject to a self-fulfilling prophecy of necessarily lower budgets helping to keep the movies in their lane at the box office.

Going by Star Trek, it seems like there's two ways to go now. Cultivate and nurture the loyal Ghostbusters fan base with a new TV series that stresses good writing over spectacle, like Star Trek did starting in 1987. Then maybe someday try to spin that show off into movies again.

Or, B, do the 2000s Trek reboot approach of using the old cast to help launch a new timeline where younger actors play the same characters. Then, it doesn't seem like Hollywood is doing it because they don't care about the original cast. The OGs will be there to give their blessing. (Aykroyd once talked about doing a series following the younger Venkman, Stantz and Spengler in their college days.)

It's a tough call, but it doesn't look like the status quo, doing another Frozen Empire-esque movie with the same cast, is viable at this point. But that loyal fan base helps create a floor that provides a buffer against anything they try becoming a massive failure. So they have an incentive to keep trying to do something new with the brand.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Fastnbulbous, RSteven and unclefred like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

not for me, but I wonder if the sequel to Godzilla Minus One would be in English or dubbed or something. Then you'd have two very different visions of Godzilla going head to head.

unclefred likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting comment from Matt Belloni of Puck News this week:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After all, only nine Hollywood films have passed the $300 million threshold worldwide since #Barbenheimer in mid-July. Of those films—including Godzilla x Kongsix were Warners releases. And say what you will about David Zaslav, currently the most antagonized C.E.O. in Hollywood, with a stock price down 25 percent this year, but Warner Bros. Discovery is crushing its Hollywood rivals in raw box office revenue right now. Warners releases, also including Wonka ($85.2 million) and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom ($48 million), account for $465 million, or 29 percent, of the total $1.612 billion year-to-date domestic box office revenue.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is pretty shocking that Warner Bros. is making money hand-over-fist right now. Who knew? I never predicted Wonka would be a hit, but the reviews and the box office tell the story -- people liked it.

RSteven likes this.
  24. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Alex Garland's Civil War might attract a decent crowd.

[​IMG]

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

WB: Two Warner Bros. Discovery Directors Resign after Justice Department Expresses Antitrust Concerns

Of course where there's corruption, one expects Spectrum to be involved. I wonder if someone made a deal, as these guys could and should been prosecuted instead of merely allowed to resign. Feds usually don't investigate with the intent of mere resignations. Spectrum is the largest cable provider in the US, so many consumers are getting even more screwed if there are no consequences other than 'resignations'.

mBen989 and unclefred like this.