Prefab Sprout CD Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

You could try here: Prefab Sprout - About »

alexpop likes this.
  2. Blank Frank

There was this: John Birch »

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I'm a sucker for physical media, guess this will have to do,
    Thx.

4. alexpop

When is it out/ completed ?

5. Blank Frank

Looks like it came out in April 2014 as a limited edition hardback.

A quick g**gle search (other search engines are available ;) ) only shows mentions of it on John Birch's Tw*itter account.

alexpop likes this.
  6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Been buying up lots of Prefab Sprout on vinyl as I don't think the band will ever get their due on reissues or box sets. Original Kitchenware UK records sound great, and can be had fairly cheap. I see a few folks say the US domestic counterparts are also good sounding but I always wanted the Steve McQueen cover...not the two good wheels :) I also think their is a slight difference in recordings or mixes between the two records.

Anyway, I picked up a Music on Vinyl reissue of Steve McQueen and find it fairly engaging...more bottom end but a little light on the top...can't say for sure if this was digitally sourced but it doesn't sound bad. I play my original or the reissue depending on my mood.

Jordon on vinyl is cramped, they put too many songs on one record...could use a double disk reissue...

Protest Songs is a hidden gem...I wouldn't start with this record but any fan should get it. It was recorded after Steve McQueen but released after From Langley Park To Memphis but have the same feel as Steve McQueen...almost as if it was all the filler music from those sessions as I can imagine there had to be a ton of songs to pick from as they culled together an amazing record from begging to end with McQueen.

Also the 12" singles sound even better, the production quality at 45 RPM and the extra grooves makes their sound all the better....thanks for reading my Prefab Sprout thought vomit :p

If you can go vinyl with this band, do so at all costs....

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  7. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I have full Indie Scene series (10 volumes 1977 - 1986)

Here is 1983.
    Various - The Indie Scene 83 »

Beware - all CDs were manufactured by PDO UK. 1978 and 1979 suffer from disc rot (my copies are dead).

8. bisonrav

bisonrav Well-Known Member

Got a bit of traffic to Sproutology today from this thread, which is why I'm waking it up.

The South African release, which can be found from time to time, is a double album. One of the benefits of having limited record cutting facilities is that sometimes they have to do things the easy way. Amusingly the record plant that pressed it was on sale on Ebay not long ago, the story is on Sproutology. But the best version of Jordan by far is the remastered Japanese version on CD, either the facsimile record set from a few years ago or the "Blu spec" one from 2013. Blu spec itself is pure snake oil, but the mastering is fabulous. There's a bit in "All boys believe anything" where Wendy turns up on your left shoulder and whispers into your ear. Wonderful.

I should really index Sproutology better and signpost some of this stuff, but there is a "Lost Live CD" link you can search for which is a decent copy of the Reading BBC concert from transcription disk and a really great FM source for the songs not on the disk. It's not the best version, that's on Dimeadozen from another, better, copy of the transcription disk, but it's highly acceptable.

The big news about Paddy is he's doing something with Spike Lee. Probably that's been mentioned in some other thread here, but it's exciting news for sure. Either Spike has taken up the drums or Atari ST Midi programming, or it's some sort of film project. Not many other possibilities.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Atari ST?
    Can't believe a Paddy uses the stock b&w monitor ?

10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Does anyone know of a good sounding version of Protest Songs (vinyl or CD). I have the original UK vinyl and early CD, neither sound very good. Shame because the songs are great.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  11. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

How are the rest of the Japanese releases? I may pick up a few titles in a single order, I only have prefab sprout on vinyl at the moment.

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'd never heard of Sproutless. Just checked them out on YouTube and I can't believe what I heard. It sounds exactly like Prefab. Neil Conti on drums too! Amazing. Thanks for the tip.

13. alexpop

The Prefab Sound.
    Any other sound-alikes?

14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I'd forgotten about Sproutless. I can't imagine any band has ever had such a spot-on imitator. I constantly have to remind myself that I'm not listening to the real deal!

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

What is different about the Japanese Jordan remaster? Sound quality? Extra cuts? Can you provide specifics like the label so I know what to look for :)

16. Mr.La Page

Mr.La Page Smoking with the boys upstairs...

Same here. I don't know why there's not a better sounding version of Protest Songs. I love that album and the one thing that bothers me is the way it was mastered. It's way too muffled.

17. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I’ve got Protest Songs, Swoon and Jordan on those Japanese CDs that have been mentioned every now and again on here. I’m not near them at the moment but they’re definitely some kind of high resolution master, and they sound much better than the original U.K. releases.
    It’s such a shame that Paddy probably won’t tour again. I was fortunate enough to see Prefab Sprout on their last tour and it was sublime and quite emotional actually!

Mr.La Page likes this.
  18. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

And the 38 carat collection double CD is worth having just for Lions, The Sound Of Crying, and If You Don’t Love Me, which no one seems to mention.

RandyP likes this.
  19. Mr.La Page

Thanks for the heads up!!! I'll look and see if i can find the Japanese version. I really want that album to sound better. I actually listen to Protest Songs a lot.

20. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I dug out the Japanese disks I was going on about above, and they’re BSCO2 CDs if that means anything. I’ve got FLPTM as well. Forgot I had that.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  21. Mr.La Page

Thanks again Mr Day! I was looking some up on eBay earlier to see what i could find. Now i'll know what to look for. :tiphat:

22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just found a very nice copy of Two Wheels Good on vinyl last week for $1 (!!). My love of PS has been reawakened!

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'm a latecomer to the Sprout, though I've been passively listening to them for years.

The only one of their albums I've not heard is Crimson/Red, which is very hard to come by at the moment. If it's anything like the others, then yes, it's essential. Paddy McAloon never drops the ball as a songwriter - he really is up there with the greatest, and that includes the most recent track he premiered online 'America' from 2017.

Actually, I think the Sprout's albums are those rarest of things - 80s albums were the production doesn't suck the life out of the music. Thomas Dolby knew how to get warmth out of synthesisers.

Looking forward to the .....Megahertz remaster/re-release next month!

smilin ed and Mr.La Page like this.
  24. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Crimson/Red is essential!

RevolutionDoctor and Mr.La Page like this.
  25. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Amazon have Crimson Red for a tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.