Preferred years for music in the eighties( 80s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingPrawn19

KingPrawn19 Forum Resident

All these are great

These not so good

This imho probably the worst year in popular music of the last 100 years

I love the 1980s - had basically all my youth in that decade - 14 when they kicked off 24 at the end

But strangely find the period from 1984-87 one if THE worst music, fashion, graphic design wise of the 20th century. Talk about a falling of the cliff in quality.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha ha. I love 1985.

Some great albums released that year, though I'd have to research where it finished, for me, in the pantheon of great years. I prefer it to all of the Sixties, that's for sure. :)

3. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

1989:
    Kaleidoscope World - Swing Out Sister
    The Seeds Of Love - Tears For Fears
    Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

College and work years.

For me it was all about soul and jazz music.

Good all-around year, the second-half, anyway.

Great year for pop and rock music

Another good year for pop music. Hard rock, too.

's OK...

What's the point? The rest of the 80s were great for pop music. For me, the 80s were a rotten decade, and I tend to put the music in that.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Eighties ?
    Best decade for videos.
    Music ?
    Early eighties.

carlwm likes this.
  6. koshrecords

koshrecords NZ-based Xennial, Manics expert

7. koshrecords

FYI... 1980 came out top for that decade, at #16.

8. alexpop

9. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Going off my Discogs collection - 1985, 1986, 1987, 1984, 1988, 1983, 1989.

10. koshrecords

11. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

height of fashion I'll have you know! :cool::uhhuh::hide:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bataclan2002 and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Sexy.

13. alexpop

More photographic evidence.

14. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

In general earlier is better.

'81 is easily best overall.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

1980-1984 exclusively,Lou Reed reevaluated, the birth of the Paisley Underground movement, Soft Boys, Robyn Hitchcock,Los Lobos along with Plan 9(from NYC) & The Nomads (from Sweden)

16. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was born in 1974, so my entire childhood was the 80s.

1980 & 1981 - I'd just got my first record player. Madness, Adam and the Ants, The Human League etc etc. A vibrant, colourful, inventive and optimistic time for pop music. It was also excellent for rock, metal and indie music.

alexpop and carlwm like this.
  18. alexpop

Much prefer the 80s to the 90s.

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So do I for music, but I had a great time in the 90s and loved the indie music up until just after Britpop, when there was a real comedown. The so called Britpop scene was exciting until the media got hold of it and that awful term came about.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Yeah I loved it around 94-96. UK had predominantly the best music in the nineties( for me at least).

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

For Grateful Dead concerts.........................

22. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

1980-81, then 1988-89. Everything else in between kinda sucked for me even though I was in my early 20's then and should feel nostalgic about it. The end of the 70's and then the beginning of alternative/grunge. The 1982-87 void inspired me to discover all the great late 60's and 70's hard rock and prog that was before my time. So if the 80's didn't suck so bad I wouldn't have discovered all that great stuff.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  23. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

1982 (KISS - Creatures of the Night; Rush - Signals; Eddie Money - No Control; Y&T - Black Tiger; Led Zeppelin - Coda)
    1983 (The Police - Synchronicity; KISS - Lick It Up; Stevie Ray Vaughan debuts with Texas Flood; Metallica make their debut with Kill 'Em All; Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil; Motorhead - Another Perfect Day; Thin Lizzy release their final studio album, Thunder and Lightning; Jake E. Lee debuts with Ozzy on Bark at the Moon)
    1984 (Van Halen - 1984; Rush - Grace Under Pressure; KISS bounces back with Animalize; SRV follows up with the excellent Couldn't Stand the Weather; Metallica - Ride the Lightning)
    1980 (the year literally starts off with Rush - Permanent Waves; AC/DC - Back in Black; The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta; Ozzy Osborune - Blizzard of Ozz; Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell; Paul McCartney - McCartney II; Van Halen - Women and Children First; the good stuff is enough to outweigh the bad things about this year)
    1981 (Rush finally hit the mainstream with Moving Pictures; KISS go progressive with Music From "The Elder"; The Police - Ghost in the Machine; Van Halen - Fair Warning; Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman; The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You)
    1985 (Dokken - Under Lock and Key; KISS - Asylum; Stevie Ray Vaughan - Soul to Soul)
    1987 (Guns 'N Roses release Appetite for Destruction; The Beatles become available on CD; Ace Frehley makes a comeback with Frehley's Comet; Dokken - Back for the Attack; George Harrison makes a comeback with the outstanding Cloud Nine)
    1989 (Badlands release their first album; Ace Frehley - Trouble Walkin'; King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska)
    1986 (Van Hagar makes its debut with 5150; Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin; Metallica - Master of Puppets)
    1988 (Zakk Wylde debuts with Ozzy on No Rest for the Wicked; Jane's Addiction releases their first full-length studio album, Nothing's Shocking; EMI release Past Masters Volume One and Past Masters Volume Two, completing what would be the official Beatles catalog until 2009)

carlwm likes this.
  24. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Answering a question like this might make some sense to me if I had info like that at my disposal, but unfortunately I don't keep track of what I'd rate every album. That would take me forever to do.

But then I'd still have the problem that probably the only reason I have 300 5/5s from 1984, say, while I have 276 from 1985, is that there are 24 albums from 1985 that either I still haven't heard (or that will grow on me more) so that I wind up with 300 5/5s from 1985, too. So it still seems infeasible to me.

The bottom line is that "favorite years" and even really "favorite decades" just doesn't reflect my interaction with music very well. There's a ton of stuff from every year, every decade, from a huge variety of genres and from hundreds of artists, that I'd rate a 5/5 or 4/5, a fair amount that I'd rate a 3/5, not too much that I'd rate a 2/5, and usually close to nothing I'd rate a 1/5.

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.