Prestige record label variation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bbjazz, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbjazz

bbjazz Member Thread Starter

I'm a big fan to classic jazz vinyls.

I have two "new boss guitar of george benson" vinyls.
    One has a blue trident label (mono), and another has a gold trident (mono) label.
    Blue label has an NJ address, but gold trident doesn't have.
    Which label is earlier ?
    I could not find an answer.
    When I compare two vinyls with my turntable, sound quality is similar.
    I'd like to know about prestige label variations.

2. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

This brief bit of info was listed on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/label/19591-Prestige

A concise guide to label variations of the 7000 cat.# series, as issued in the USA:

On first pressings from 7000 up to 7140, the 'fireworks' labels in yellow/black show the following address in the upper rim text, and are all mono pressings:
    446 W. 50th ST., N.Y.C.

From 7141 up to (approximately) 7325, the fireworks labels in yellow/black for mono, and black/silver for stereo, show the following:
    203 South Washington Ave., Bergenfield, N.J.

All mono 'fireworks' pressings have a caption on the right hand side of the spindle hole that can read any of the following:
    "HI FI" / "HI FIDELITY" / "HIGH FIDELITY" / "High Fidelity".

From (approximately) 7326 up to the end of the series, the same address was used, but with a completely different design, known as the 'trident' label:
    During 1964 and 1965 the logo appeared on the right hand side of the labels (both stereo and mono). After 1965 the logo moved to the 12 o'clock position.

3. bbjazz

Thank you for your reply. Fred68.

However, I know general prestige label variation that you linked.
    Generally, 'fireworks' label is followed by blue 'trident' label.
    There are some vinyls that have gold or black 'trident' label at 12 o'clock without an address on the label.
    I have some gold or black 'trident' label and blue 'trident' label.
    For example, sonny rollins 'saxophone colossus' vinyl, it has gold 'trident' label (preview copy) and also
    blue 'trident' label (mono and stereo).
    Sound quality is similar among them.
    I'm curious whether blue 'trident' label is earlier than gold or black 'trident' label.

4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The gold label was a very short lived mono variant presumably between the yellow & black NJ label and the blue label. The equivalent stereo label was gray. This is the best Prestige labelography out there: London Jazz Collector Prestige Label Guide.

5. bbjazz

Thank you for reply. Blackie.

I already checked LJC site.
    A lot of online information would be similar to what you mentioned.
    I just want to know when gold or black label was released.

Thanks,

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

No one knows definitively, they might even have been contemporaneous with the blue label but contract pressings from a plant not normally used.

7. bbjazz

Thank you, Blackie.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Back in the day they were called "LPs" :)

9. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

VINYLS really grates on my nerves too. Perhaps LP is considered old fashioned?

10. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I have Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus black trident at 12 label for a "stereo" issue but it is a strange stereo.. almost not stereo...... the label says stereo and the deadwax has PRST in the deadwax but I am not hearing the "stereo" much here....

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Since Saxophone Colossus is a mono only recording it's either mono or fake stereo. I have a copy of "electronically remastered in stereo" Soultrane (which is also a mono only recording) and it pretty much sounds like a mono tape played back through a stereo tape machine with very subtle left + right information.

12. hutchenstance

well I heard such horrors about the stereo.. i'm surprised to say it sounds great to me... i mean maybe the bass is a little louder on one side.. honestly i have to check my speakers and make sure everyting is good with my system before opining..but its a nice sounding press..

13. hutchenstance

I also have an Argentine 1st pressing (1960s.. same cover as the 1960s prestige one) of the same album which is mono... Prestige was pressed by RCA in argentina.. anyways they are 1s/1s matrices (promo on labels) and to me it sounds just about the same..

I'm just not sure the US one is even a stereo...

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As was mentioned earlier Saxophone Colossus was recorded only in mono, so any "stereo" version is fake/electronically rechannelled stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.